1200 miles and my ignition lock is causing problems

Guest taximartin51

Guest taximartin51

I've had my NC700S since the end of April and it's brilliant, but this week twice I have gone to put the key into the ignition and it would not go in fully, I discovered that the top cover on the switch can turn right round and if it turns a little it can stop the key from going in, (took me 25 mins at 5 am to get the thing going).

I took the bike back only to be told by my dealer that "they all to that", and then I was told by the dealer that it was a new anti theft device!

it's funny that my CBF1000 does'nt do it, and my son's CBR 125 does'nt do it,

if anyone else would like to check their NC700 I would appreciate some feedback.

you just need to put the tip of the key in the slot and turn it and you should see the top cover of the lock turn full circle.

Many thanks

Martin.

Did you get the bike from Dobles.?

Guest turbodieseli4i6

I've had my NC700S since the end of April and it's brilliant, but this week twice I have gone to put the key into the ignition and it would not go in fully, I discovered that the top cover on the switch can turn right round and if it turns a little it can stop the key from going in, (took me 25 mins at 5 am to get the thing going).

I took the bike back only to be told by my dealer that "they all to that", and then I was told by the dealer that it was a new anti theft device!

it's funny that my CBF1000 does'nt do it, and my son's CBR 125 does'nt do it,

if anyone else would like to check their NC700 I would appreciate some feedback.

you just need to put the tip of the key in the slot and turn it and you should see the top cover of the lock turn full circle.

Many thanks

Martin.

If I put my key in a a 1/4'' (6.3mm) the top part (cap) will turn full circle. I can feel a click when every 180 degrees, where the key will insert completely.

I can see where this can be annoying, but if I turn until the click there's no problem.

My GL1200 and TW200 doesn't do it either.

ste7ios

This is ridicolous! if this is true it would be on the user manual. He is a smart @ss or he doesn't want to be involved...

Edited by ste7ios
  • Like 1
Guest turbodieseli4i6

This is ridicolous! if this is true it would be on the user manual. He is a smart @ss or he doesn't want to be involved...

+1

I would have a few choice words to my dealer if that was his answer! Intelligent wouldn't be one of them either.

Now if he said all the NC's do that and not to worry about it, I would come here and ask the NC owners.

Rocker66

+2 He is obviously just trying to fob you off

Guest taximartin51

Thanks Guys,

I went back to Dobles on Saturday and went round a number of bikes with the owner Mike doble, these included another NC700, a new Goldwing, two new Fireblades, and a few used CB1000R's, and unfortunately they do all do the same thing but in varying degrees. So having had a serious talk with Mr Doble about his service manager, and being assured that he will be delt with, he offered to replace the ignition lock for me but to do that all the locks would have to be changed, so I have said I will monitor the situation and if the problem gets worse I will take it back.

I am also going to write to Honda Uk and make a complaint regarding the lock as I feel it's not nessesary for the ignition lock top to be so loose, ask them why they do not state this design feature in the owners manual, or tell their dealers about it.

All the best

Martin.

• Like 2

I only asked about the dealer, as Dobles sold me a brand new 125 scooter with tyre pressures way to high, front 35psi, should have been 25psi, rear 35, should have been 29psi, it was very uncontrollable on bends and poor road services, I like the dealer and Mike always does a good deal for me, I will buy from them again and recommend them, but I will take a tyre pressure gauge with me, and find the culprit that could have killed me. ( I did skid around on bends and braking until I found the cause, thankfully it had ABS)

Guest taximartin51

I will probably go back to Dobles, because I think the team there are really good with exception to Robin the service manager, I will not deal with him, I'll start doing my own servicing from now on, and I can stamp my own service book as I have a VAT registered Garage.

Guest Chiefy

My short list of new bikes was the Honda NC or VStrom or GSX650F ABS. I have followed this forum with interest but in the end I went for the GSX as more suited to my needs etc - all 3 are good bikes. Your ignition lock that you refer to I'd exactly the same on my Suzuki GSX. On mine it is supposed to do it and is actually referred to in the Owners Manual. On the Suzuki it is to prevent debris contaminating the lock when standing for long periods outdoors uncovered. It does also stop people sticking things in it for the fun of it.