Bar end weight screws

Guest AceTallPaul

Guest AceTallPaul

I’ve got Oxford heated grips to fit. 

Curtently failing at step 1 - I can’t get the bar end weight screw off. 

Im a bit nervous of stripping the screw slot as the driver slips out. 

Many advice on how to get the screw out?

i assume you need to hold the weight, as it turns too?

thanks

MikeBike

Use the screwdriver form the toolkit which is JIS like the screws on the bike (not philips). Or get some JIS driver bits I got three for about a fiver and posted on here where to get them.

Hold it as you unscrew not to drop it but the end weight turns anyway IIRC.

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/6590752/nc750x-abs-dual-clutch/handle-pipetop-bridge

Have a look here:

EDIT: Also when refitting I remember that the end weights need to rotate until they locate into a the inner part.

Edited by MikeBike
  • Like 1
Guest AceTallPaul
3 hours ago, MikeBike said:

Use the screwdriver form the toolkit which is JIS like the screws on the bike (not philips).

I had no idea that they weren't Philips....

Tried the toolbar driver, which didn't slip, but also didn't turn the screw.  In fact, it broke inside its handle and now won't come out to reverse....

So at least I know it is a JIS, but still can't get them out....

MikeBike

Maybe loctited in?? Needing a sharp tap to release?

I'm guessing you used something other than your vice like grip and super strength on the screwdriver for it to break? If not I'd ask for a replacement.

Here's the post where I shared where I got my JIS driver bits..

Spindizzy

I used a JIS bit in a socket wrench and held the bar with rubber jawed pliers. Seriously tight, almost didn't manage it.

Guest AceTallPaul
34 minutes ago, MikeBike said:

I'm guessing you used something other than your vice like grip and super strength on the screwdriver for it to break? If not I'd ask for a replacement.

Yes, held it tight with pipe spanner and tried to turn the bar end with a bottle opener grip thing....

PoppetM

I tapped it with a hammer to free it

Guest AceTallPaul
47 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

I tapped it with a hammer to free it

Tapped what, Sam? The screw?

1 hour ago, Spindizzy said:

I used a JIS bit in a socket wrench and held the bar with rubber jawed pliers. Seriously tight, almost didn't manage it.

Thanks - I’ve ordered a JIS bit...

PoppetM
8 minutes ago, AceTallPaul said:

Tapped what, Sam? The screw?

Yep, used the Honda scewdriver then tapped the end of it gently, it had locktite stuff on it so needed to be "cracked" 

Spindizzy
11 minutes ago, AceTallPaul said:

I put the handlebar against the wall (protected) so I could put all my weight the opposite side pushing the bit on the socket in to the end to stop it rounding off. Holding the bar end from turning was probably the harder part.

Guest AceTallPaul
16 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

Yep, used the Honda scewdriver then tapped the end of it gently, it had locktite stuff on it so needed to be "cracked" 

Just given that a go.  Still no good. Will try next weekend with the JIS bit I’ve ordered...

So what is happening Paul,  is the driver lifting out of the slots or the whole lot turning inside the bars?

Lyn.

MikeBike

24 minutes ago, kayz1 said:

So what is happening Paul,  is the driver lifting out of the slots or the whole lot turning inside the bars?

Lyn.

Lyn, seems nothing is moving at all, except the screwdriver shaft in its handle.

Edited by MikeBike
Guest AceTallPaul
48 minutes ago, MikeBike said:

Lyn, seems nothing is moving at all, except the screwdriver shaft in its handle.

Right, Mike. 

I’ve tried holding the driver with grips and it’s bust the insides of the reversible driver holder. 

I tried giving ut a bash as @PoppetM suggested, but I that didn’t help.

ive now ordered JIS bit as @Spindizzyand @MikeBike Suggested.  I’ll have a go with that when it arrives.

until then, I’m glad it’s forecast not to get cold... !

thanks all for your help on this....

Mister Paul

I got mine out with a screwdriver bit in a ratchet (from a socket set) and by leaning very hard into the bolt head.

Has anyone tried an impact driver?

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Mister Paul said:

I got mine out with a screwdriver bit in a ratchet (from a socket set) and by leaning very hard into the bolt head.

Has anyone tried an impact driver?

Same here.

The screw does have a non setting thread lock on it so it will take quite a bit of force to shift it.