Sign in to follow this  
Gasman

Air bag vest

Gasman

Does anyone where one? Helite and Hit-air seem to be popular. If anyone has experience of them I would be grateful to hear your thoughts.

outrunner

A mate of mine has one, fell off his BMW and walked away with only a bruised knee, no upper body damage at all when he rolled along the road, they do not protect you from piss taking by your mates mind. ;)

Andy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Andy m

Research the service requirements. I looked at one where the cartridge was out of date in 2 years and the fix was to trade in the whole jacket. 

Andy

• Sigh 1

outrunner

The one my mate has does have replaceable cartridges.

Andy.

• Like 1

MikeBike

Interested to hear too..

Gasman
20 hours ago, Andy m said:

Research the service requirements. I looked at one where the cartridge was out of date in 2 years and the fix was to trade in the whole jacket. 

Andy

They seem to have moved on from this. The ones I have mentioned have end user replaceable cartridges.

Rev Ken

Dainese have a snip at around £1,000 in a sale - it requires a unit on the bike as well as the jacket. I remain interested in a cheaper version but hope they'll get cheaper. There is a hassle of having to tether yourself to your bike, but no more onerous than fixing a seat belt.

Edited by Rev Ken

MikeBike

11 minutes ago, Rev Ken said:

Dainese have a snip at around £1,000 in a sale - it requires a unit on the bike as well as the jacket. I remain interested in a cheaper version but hope they'll get cheaper. There is a hassle of having to tether yourself to your bike, but no more onerous than fixing a seat belt.

Seem to range from £250-£1000 with several around £400-£500 range.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b&biw=1126&bih=672&tbm=shop&ei=WNujW6XJB8nRgAbG3LLYCQ&q=motorcycle+airbag&oq=motorcycle+airbag&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l5.20020.24205.0.25667.7.4.0.3.3.0.150.530.0j4.4.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.7.551....0.1xS1Cpq4chY

The owner of my motorcycle dealer wears one , think it's an equestrain model. Must remember to ask him about it next time I see him...

Looks tempting. I was thinking that I'd forget to unclip and be setting it off but apparently need more force to trigger them, about 30Kg force (I know Kg are not a force but more readily understandable for most than quoting in Newtons)

Edited by MikeBike
  • Like 1

Andy m

Why the chuff are they using rip-cords? Did someone expect you to jump out of a Dakota over Arnhem wearing the thing? Your phone has a perfectly good accelerometer with the sort of range to tell what's a drop and what's the effect of your neighbours Labrador. I wonder why they didn't just install the phone chip next to the sodastream cannister? 

Andy

• Like 1

MikeBike
13 minutes ago, Andy m said:

Why the chuff are they using rip-cords? Did someone expect you to jump out of a Dakota over Arnhem wearing the thing? Your phone has a perfectly good accelerometer with the sort of range to tell what's a drop and what's the effect of your neighbours Labrador. I wonder why they didn't just install the phone chip next to the sodastream cannister? 

Andy

That was my reaction too. You first have to reach the end of your tether (leash) before it will activate. I would think it's close between enough slack to stand on the pegs and enough for you and the bike to hit something wthout it activating. Whilst the front wheel is crushing nothing is happening even though you are both decelerating hard and starting to leave the seat.

Edited by MikeBike

Rev Ken

The  more 'expensive' Dainese version is activated by  a decelerometer built into the bike costing a few hundred pounds. However when I get around to buying a smart ''phone some manufacturer will have Googled you Allan, so who knows. (I've got a Nokia which was claimed to be one of the first smart 'phones but it is thick by to-day's standards.)

Tex

Following on from comments in a different thread, I have started doing a little research and, so far, this looks promising..

http://www.merlinbikegear.com/merlin-airbags/

Doesn’t seem a hideous amount of money for something that could, potentially, save you from serious injury? 

• Like 1

Spindizzy
11 minutes ago, Tex said:

Following on from comments in a different thread, I have started doing a little research and, so far, this looks promising..

http://www.merlinbikegear.com/merlin-airbags/

Doesn’t seem a hideous amount of money for something that could, potentially, save you from serious injury? 

I was thinking more along this line. Was posted a while back from another member, sorry forget who

https://exotogg.com/

http://www.ride-scotland.com/exotogg-thermal-armour/

Edited by Spindizzy
  • Haha 1

Andy m

The Exotogg might also be useful if you fall off the ferry! 

Not sure how an inflatable back protector helps? I thought the idea was to stop your spine taking on over tight angles or being penetrated? A bag of air won't stop landing on a sharp rock putting a point pressure on a vertebra, gas faced with a point flows round. What airbags are good at is converting a big hard surface into a soft one. One mounted in your lap might smooth out the edges of a Volvo wing and make the decel lower for example. 

Andy

• Like 1

MikeBike
35 minutes ago, Andy m said:

The Exotogg might also be useful if you fall off the ferry! 

Not sure how an inflatable back protector helps? I thought the idea was to stop your spine taking on over tight angles or being penetrated? A bag of air won't stop landing on a sharp rock putting a point pressure on a vertebra, gas faced with a point flows round. What airbags are good at is converting a big hard surface into a soft one. One mounted in your lap might smooth out the edges of a Volvo wing and make the decel lower for example. 

Andy

Indeed, it's even made by a lifejacket manufacturer. Looks like a mad inventor let loose. Supposed to be for thermal or for protection, no both

THe Merlin looks a more professional offering accredited to EN1621/4:2013

Edited by MikeBike

Gasman

Along with Merlin I would look at Helite, Hit Air, and Point2

Helite have just brought one out for cylists as well

Tonyj

Mirrors for cyclist might help . :0) back to bike stuff , at least they are considering the market now . It will improve over time and with the tech moving on probably get a lot cheaper as well . Look at abs . Plenty of nay sayers at first and in some cases some may have been right . Crash helmets are a good example .

• Like 2

embee

While there will be many scenarios where it won't actually help much, there are many where it would. It's a bit like saying a helmet won't save you from riding at 50mph into the end of a scaffold pole so they are of no use.

Using personal deceleration isn't a very useful method for a bike riders airvest, it's too late by then. In a car the accelerometer is in the region of the structure which first makes contact and experiences the sharp deceleration. In the couple of milliseconds it takes to process this data and set off the bags the rest of the car and its occupants carry on regardless, more or less unaffected by the impact (as of yet). A driver only experiences the forces of deceleration when they collide with a part of the car which has come to a stop (more or less), either the steering wheel, seat belt, or hopefully the airbag itself. You need the airbag inflated (and ready to deflate come to that) before you impact on it.

Using a sensor on the bike and wireless link to the rider's airbag for example could be of some use. Though it's possible for the rider to depart from the bike and it carries on happily on its wheels, the likelihood is that certainly in a bike/vehicle collision the first thing to impact would be the front wheel/forks, so maybe this is the method to consider. Filtering out noise from normal road inputs might be slightly tricky, it would need to be a permanent deflection (damage) criterion, i.e. the forks being bent towards the frame. I recall seeing vids of such systems for bike mounted airbags (Goldwing??)

I'm sure many folk have been considering the means for activation for a long time, departure from the bike (lanyard) might well be one of the simplest and most effective methods covering many scenarios though if you go into the side of a car passenger compartment it probably wouldn't activate before you reached the car itself. If you went over the bonnet and cleared the car it would do some good when you hit the ground. You'll probably still break arms and legs.

Forces involved in impacts can be huge, it often amuses me to hear folk saying they might brace themselves against the dashboard in the car. If you want to test this, run at full speed (maybe 15mph for an average fit person, 25mph if you're Usain Bolt) into a brick wall and try to stop yourself using your arms.

If you want the best protection in the event of a collision, go by car.

Edited by embee
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2