Cylinder Identification

TJW

Hi All,

I'm in the middle of doing the valve clearance check for the first time myself. So far all is going well, but for some reason I am getting more and more confused about which cylinder is 1 and which is cylinder 2.

There is videos and written stuff on the internet saying cylinder 1 is clutch side and cylinder 2 is throttle side, but it doesn't make any sense when I try to work with it.

Another video (for a NC750X) states cylinder 1 is throttle-side and cylinder 2 is clutch side, which would make sense when I check it:

a ) When I align the flywheel for 1T and check the tappets above the right cylinder (throttle side) by wriggling them all 4 can be moved slightly (which should mean that the piston is dead top centre). When I check the bottom - outlet - valves they are within specifications whilst the top - inlet would need loosening.

b ) When I align the flywheel for 2T and check the tappets above the left cylinder (clutch side) by wriggling them all 4 can be moved slightly (which, again, should mean that the piston is dead top centre). When I again check the bottom - outlet - valves 1 or them is too tight, the other is ok and the inlet valves - top - would need adjusting.

However, when I go with a ) and b ) it would mean that cylinder 1 is throttle side and cylinder 2 is clutch side (and therefore opposite of what's being said in some of the information out there on the web).

I've check the workshop manual back to front but can't find any information about the above whatsoever.

Any thoughts anybody?

Cheers,

TJW

• Like 1
outrunner

Normaly, if looking at the bike from the rear the no 1 cylinder is on the left side.

Andy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi TJW

The number one cylinder is the one on the left looking from the front of the bike. Before you make the adjustment I would advise you to also check that the marking on the cam shaft sprocket is also at the number one position ( also a marker for number two cylinder on sprocket) with the marker line pointing upwards as well as the 1T position on the crankshaft.

I found that you sometimes have to revolve the crankshaft a couple of times to get the two markers to be in the same position.

You can find a good video on YouTube about this adjustment.

Hope this is helpful  Terry

Bigglesaircraft

That's confusing, one from the front and one from the back both saying the one on the left.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, telboy said:

Sorry for the confusion the number one cylinder is on the right when looking from the front of the bike I got that wrong.

But did you, though? I recall this same question being asked only a short while ago and thought that it was concluded that #1 was throttle side? Certainly having the T1 mark lined up and with play on all four valves on the right it would indicate so? 

• Like 1

….. but is the firing order 1-2 or 2-1 ????? :blink:

• Confused 1
Defender
11 hours ago, embee said:

….. but is the firing order 1-2 or 2-1 ????? :blink:

If you don't know Murray, then who does!

So, @TJW what did you decide? If you align T1 and the valves on the throttle side have play in them then that MUST be #1 because some of the valves on the other cyl will be open. Not everyone who posts videos on YouTube are actually experts.. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, if it's a cross plane engine, irrespective of which piston is number 1, when it is at tdc,  where is piston number two ? Answers needn't be on a postcard, the forum will do fine

• Sad 1
SteveThackery

I can't believe we're having this discussion.

Cylinder identification and firing order is given in the manual (which I no longer have).  Why doesn't someone just look in the book and tell us?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
5 minutes ago, SteveThackery said:

Cylinder identification and firing order is given in the manual (which I no longer have).  Why doesn't someone just look in the book and tell us?

Cos there ain't no fun in that

• Haha 4
8 hours ago, Tex said:

So, @TJW what did you decide? If you align T1 and the valves on the throttle side have play in them then that MUST be #1 because some of the valves on the other cyl will be open. Not everyone who posts videos on YouTube are actually experts.. ;) 

Didn't do anything yet as busy with work, will check on Monday. 

I've posted the same question on the American Forum and they all say that their Shop Manual says to align the mark (right side of the bike behind the frame) with the bottom (rear side) of the bike.

The more I looked into this it appears as if there is more and more evidence that there are different versions of the Shop Manual

• Sad 1
8 hours ago, SteveThackery said:

I've checked the book and couldn't find it anywhere.

Also, there is a very strong opinion out there that some versions/editions of the Shop Manual contain an error. In particular, the members of the American Forum say that their manual states to align the Control Marks (right side inspection) to the bottom notch ... in my version it says to align it to the top notch.

• Haha 1
Dunnster

Cylinder one is on the RIGHT when you are sat in front of the engine checking the valve clearance (clutch lever side)

Cylinder two is on the LEFT when you are sat in front of the engine checking the valve clearance. (Brake pedal/lever side)

Remove the spark plugs will make lining up the marks and finding TDC easier 

Align the timing marks to the lower mark and cut out on the cylinder head. 

ONLY turn the engine anti clockwise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
SteveThackery
3 hours ago, Dunnster said:

ONLY turn the engine anti clockwise. 

When viewed from which side?

• Like 2
  • Sigh 1

They seem consistent. The Haynes book of lies says #1 is on the left while sitting on the bike. It also says assembly is in the reverse order of dis-assembly, which would make #2 furthest away from you while using a screwdriver to try and force the cover back on, or on the left viewed from where the first aid box lives. 

Andy

• Haha 3
27 minutes ago, Andy m said:

They seem consistent. The Haynes book of lies says #1 is on the left while sitting on the bike. It also says assembly is in the reverse order of dis-assembly, which would make #2 furthest away from you while using a screwdriver to try and force the cover back on, or on the left viewed from where the first aid box lives. 

Andy

Now i can understand that one, thanks Andy:muttley:

The engine should be turned in the direction the wheels turn when going forwards.

You know which is forwards don't you? It's to your left when looking at no.1 cylinder. :lol:

Normal convention for most engines (except for the Jaguar XK engine :blink: ) is that no.1 is the end with the auxiliaries or generator etc, the last cylinder is the one next to where the drive is taken off (that assumes the drive comes off one end not the middle, but there are always exceptions to the rule, or awkward ba$tards as they are otherwise known).

• Like 2
Dunnster
2 hours ago, SteveThackery said:

When viewed from which side?

From the crankshaft hole side which is used to move the timing marks on the flywheel :baby:

• Thanks 1
On 9/23/2018 at 09:36, Dunnster said:

Align the timing marks to the lower mark and cut out on the cylinder head. 

Cheers, you see, that's the problem, my shop manual (February 2012) version published by the HONDA Service Publication Office says align to the top mark on the cylinder head.

I followed what was said on here and on the American forum (and aligned the timing marks to the lower mark on the cylinder head) and suddenly it makes sense that Cylinder one is the one clutch lever side and cylinder 2 is throttle side ...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TJW said:

Cheers, you see, that's the problem, my shop manual (February 2012) version published by the HONDA Service Publication Office says align to the top mark on the cylinder head.

I followed what was said on here and on the American forum (and aligned the timing marks to the lower mark on the cylinder head) and suddenly it makes sense that Cylinder one is the one clutch lever side and cylinder 2 is throttle side ...

Yay! A happy ending! We love those! :D 

Hi all,

Just to let you know I've finally found the time to complete the maintenance.

It turns out that two problems knocked me sideways:

1) the February 2012 version of the Shop Manual incorrectly states to align the marks to the 'top notch' where it should read 'bottom notch' and

2) I didn't take into account that it takes 2 full revolutions of the flywheel for both cylinders to complete 1 full sequence.

Taking all of the above into account it suddenly all made sense and the rest of it was a doddle ...

Thank you very much everybody for all your kind help.

TJW

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1