tomcat

Baby Beemer.

tomcat

After a number of delivery extensions from ordering, I take delivery of my baby BMW next week.

F850GS Sport.

The last few weeks have been productive. I sold both my VFR1200F DCT and my Tiger 800. Both for full asking price.

Even the weather next week looks to be playing ball. I might book it's first service for next week when I collect it.

I tried a lot of similar machines before putting my deposit down. I still wish shaft drive had been an option on the bike.

f850gs.jpg

• Like 13

Rocker66

Enjoy it in safety. Look forward to hearing your opinions on it from an owners point of view in other words what it’s actually like to live with.

tomcat

When road testing other machines, one of those I tried in all guises but couldn't take to was the africa twin. I just couldn't get excited with any of its variants.

Some love 'em. Fortunately we don't all want the same bike.

A big surprise to me was how easily my colleague testing the X-adv could keep up with an africa twin.

On paper it just should have struggled. In real life keeping pace proved effortless.

The DCT gearbox and the NC750 engine are a marriage made in heaven. Most impressed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Tex

Wow! Cracking bike, George. Can’t wait to hear all about it. :niceone:

tomcat

I guess I should be upfront and admit being a tart. :blush:

I bought a new hemet too. Very co-ordinated. :sick:

adx_1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Rocker66

I would Definately done the same. 😀😀

deecat

Enjoy your new bike George looks good.

I would be interested on your views of the helmet especially on how noisy it is as I am always looking for a cheaper option to my Schuberth

I have gotten so used to using a flip lid daily that on the odd occasion that I use a full faced lid I find them annoying and the one that you have bought looks nice.

• Like 1

tomcat

I've already completed a few hundred miles wearing the Scorpion. I can't compare it directly with a Schubert E1. The Schubert sizing means I simply cannot get a good fit.

However, my eldest son does wear the E1 and he tells me that the Scorpion is lighter in weight.

My only direct comparison is with the Caberg Tourmax, this helmet replaces.

Definitely no noisier than the Tourmax. The peak however is either a little shorter or is at a differing angle. The protection from low sun is not quite as good as the Tourmax.

The visor ventilation is a little less than the Tourmax. Without the supplied pillock fitted the visor misted easily.

The visor feels very aerodynamic, you are blissfully ignorant of its presence at all speeds and head orientations.

A benefit over the Tourmax is the Scorpion is supplied with a pair of visor end plates, meaning the peak can be removed in seconds and the helmet functions as a standard flip.

Early impressions are positive, durability remains to be seen though. 

One thing worth noting though, is sizing. I am an L in Caberg, AGV, Arai and Shoei, but needed to revert to an XL in the Scorpion to gain a good fit.

Edited by tomcat
  • Thanks 1

deecat

Thanks George , will have to find a local supplier to try one one.

pjm

I still have an immaculate Shoei Hornet ADV  Navigate TC2  in the White Blue and Red in Medium that I cannot get on with. If anyone is interested you could have it for a very reasonable price. Non smoker. Always worn with a helmet liner.

Rev Ken

Well if you got the GT version you would have a belt drive, although i don't know if they are doing it with the 850 engine.

tomcat

Been there Rev, done that.

As yet the GT hasn't got a new engine. 

In fact due to low worldwide sales it could well get dropped from the range.

SteveThackery

Not a nice engine in the F800GT anyway (in my opinion).  It's strangely lacking in torque at the bottom end, has an excessively high 1st gear, and is basically far too toppy for a tourer.  

They should retune it to fill in the low- and mid-range a lot more, even if it means losing a few hp from the top end.  It would make it a far more competent tourer and road bike.  I hope they've done that for the F850.

*Edit: actually, it looks like I'm completely wrong.  Compared with the VFR, for instance, its torque curve is stronger all the way up to 8500rpm.

image.png.1aadb485dd6ce0aad2bc3bbc27ae68aa.png

Maybe it's the awful noise it makes that causes me to instinctively want to throttle back.

Edited by SteveThackery

SteveThackery

Here's another graph that proves you should never believe any of my subjective impressions:

image.png.9f3d61873dbc59e64d4c35f58f6615b2.png

klrman
3 minutes ago, SteveThackery said:

Here's another graph that proves you should never believe any of my subjective impressions:

image.png.9f3d61873dbc59e64d4c35f58f6615b2.png

Or does it prove I shouldn't believe graphs ? I have a lifetimes experience to support those kind of doubts

• Like 1

tomcat

The tech' figures for the latest 850 engine. A noticeable performance increase. 

I can confirm, with a full day test ride, the bike feels lively and visceral. Smooth power delivery, with good power rush as the rev's rise.

I had a Tiger 800 previously and BMW have definitely overtaken the Tiger with engine performance with this latest offering.

TECHNICAL DATA

Engine Type

Water-cooled 4-stroke in-line two-cylinder engine, four valves per cylinder, two overhead camshafts, dry sump lubrication 

Bore / stroke

84 mm x 77 mm

Capacity

853 cc

Rated output

70 kW (95 hp) at 8,250 rpm 

Max. torque

92 Nm at 6,250 rpm

Compression ratio

12.7 : 1

Mixture control

Electronic injection 

Emission control

Closed-loop 3-way catalytic converter, emission standard EU-4  

• Like 1

Tex

George, did you try the ‘other’ model? Slightly less powerful but more ‘road’ oriented? 

Tex
10 hours ago, SteveThackery said:

image.png.1aadb485dd6ce0aad2bc3bbc27ae68aa.png

Interesting! Hopefully that’s the earlier V-Tec? Word is the later one has smoothed out that horrible dip. 

The Beemer makes more torque but it’s not a ‘nice’ curve is it? 

Edited by Tex
  • Like 1

pjm

Both bikes have a very similar ‘dip’ on the way up. I can understand the VTEC on the VFR but does the BMW have a similar system? Waits patiently for the engineers to explain to the thick council house kid.😃😃

Edited by pjm

Mr Toad

I'm also really keen to hear all about it once you've had the chance to live with it for a while.

I took one for a good test ride recently and all things considered it should have been the bike that I bought. I loved everything about it and the only reason I ended up with the 1200GS was my love of the boxer engine. I had this doubt in my mind that had I opted for the 850GS the hankering for the boxer would have still been there and spoiled owning the 850 for me.

Having had the 1200GS a few weeks now I am completely happy with it but would love to hear your views on the 850.

I've said before that if BMW made a 900 boxer I'd have gone for that without a doubt.

• Like 1

Tex

I know exactly what you mean, Mason. Something about that damn boxer, eh? Gets under your skin.. That engine and the Telelever are hard to argue against if you want to cover miles. ;) 

• Like 3

SteveThackery
2 hours ago, Tex said:

That engine and the Telelever are hard to argue against if you want to cover miles. ;) 

I wish they'd use the Telelever on all their bikes....

• Like 3

fred_jb
6 hours ago, Tex said:

Interesting! Hopefully that’s the earlier V-Tec? Word is the later one has smoothed out that horrible dip. 

The Beemer makes more torque but it’s not a ‘nice’ curve is it? 

Having owned both, albeit the Honda in the shape of the VFR800X (Mk 1) that accords quite well with my recollections. The BMW felt very torquey and didn't need to be taken to max revs to make very satisfactory progress.

The Honda on the other hand was a little unimpressive verging on pedestrian until it got over the VTEC revs threshold, with the real power being made above that.  It is a nice engine but looks like it needs to be up in the 7k to redline range to make any more power than the BMW and my preference is for bikes where the max torque and power is more easily accessible and at lower revs.

Edited by fred_jb
  • Like 1

SteveThackery

It's worked again.  My F800GT has become far more tractable low down, now that I've discovered that the torque curve is actually rather strong at the bottom end compared with other bikes, such as the VFR800.  Take-offs are easier, and overtaking is a breeze now that I don't have to change down a gear.

I'll never trust my subjective judgement again.  :lol:

• Like 3

pjm

Must be that psychosomatic additive they are putting in the ⛽️ fuel 😆😆

• Haha 3