makman

Wilbers Rear Shock

makman

Currently a seller is pricing the basic model at just over £250 on that place not to be mentioned of auction variety.  What a cracking good deal! I'm actually thinking of shelling out for this and as they set it up for your requirements exactly.  This is for the NC700X variety.  Have to decide quickly!  Aaahh. Dagnabbit, I've gone and pressed the BUY IT NOW button and added my personal hippo weight requirements for comfort and road riding only. No pillions.

Edited by makman
Went and bought it!
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

Defender
2 hours ago, makman said:

Currently a seller is pricing the basic model at just over £250 on that place not to be mentioned of auction variety.  What a cracking good deal! I'm actually thinking of shelling out for this and as they set it up for your requirements exactly.  This is for the NC700X variety.  Have to decide quickly!  Aaahh. Dagnabbit, I've gone and pressed the BUY IT NOW button and added my personal hippo weight requirements for comfort and road riding only. No pillions.

Was that from across the water/through the tunnel by any chance?

makman
10 minutes ago, Defender said:

Was that from across the water/through the tunnel by any chance?

Yes. Coming from a French company.  Checked their feedback scores and they are rated excellent and with some English feedback as well for more expensive shocks as well.  So well pleased with finding them. Was watching this item for a while and it was at £320 and suddenly dropped to £252, so thought it well worth getting the quality item for a superb price.  Should take around one month to be made/delivered. 

I'll be refreshing fork oil at the same time with 7.5W oil and 150mm air gap.  I will strip and grease bearings, so may well drop out the rear wheel and swingarm.  So all bearings to be greased and checked over.  Makes sense if I am doing the whole job.  I have a centre stand, so this should make life a lot easier to do this job.

• Like 1

Defender
3 hours ago, makman said:

Yes. Coming from a French company.  Checked their feedback scores and they are rated excellent and with some English feedback as well for more expensive shocks as well.  So well pleased with finding them. Was watching this item for a while and it was at £320 and suddenly dropped to £252, so thought it well worth getting the quality item for a superb price.  Should take around one month to be made/delivered. 

I'll be refreshing fork oil at the same time with 7.5W oil and 150mm air gap.  I will strip and grease bearings, so may well drop out the rear wheel and swingarm.  So all bearings to be greased and checked over.  Makes sense if I am doing the whole job.  I have a centre stand, so this should make life a lot easier to do this job.

I too am seriously tempted, after 6 years and over 23,500 miles mine is well past it's best, plus it was mentioned on the MOT as there was a slight mist of oil on it, which may or may not mean a leak?

makman

For the money it is so worth it.  The OEM is cannot be serviced, but the Wilbers will give years of service.

makman

Confirmation email from supplier, they have passed order onto Wilbers and it is confirmed with them. Order will take circa 15 days to complete and then delivery and confirmation with tracking details will be sent. Very pleased with the speed and accuracy of communication. They also stated clearly I had the right to cancel the order if I wanted to and full refund would be given.  Not a chance at this price!  So, mid October for plush riding!  Thing is that I am out for 3 weekends straight and have college and Church commitments that see me away from home and tools!  Aaarrgghhh.  Perhaps end of Oct as originally planned (or I pay someone to do it all).

rjp996

I have to say, when I put my stock OEM shock back on after the alloy bottom shell of the shock holding the bearing fracture and fell off from what looks like oxidation creeping through the alloy - I found the original shock to really not much different. My wilbers lasted just a smudge over the two year warranty before it failed I think - so about £325 per year it cost

• Like 1

makman

Thanks for the heads up. I do tend to ACF50 my bike (not saying you don't) and clean it regularly.  I've got a protector flap in place and the OEM one actually looks physically fine, but I wanted the comfort of the adjustable shock. I've fitted Hagons to bikes in the past, but this was such a bargain I though "why not!"

• Like 1

giley

just drilled the side panel and fitting a blanking plug much easier to get to the top shock nut!!! great idea from the forum!! oh got the nitron shock back and fitted. noticed a lot of rust considering I have acf50 every year from new not impressed! I do think the salt used last winter was some strange concoction seemed much more aggressive than before!! need to rinse down after every ride I think this winter!!

• Like 2

makman

Price has bumped up to £285 now...  Pays to act quickly.  Wife has almost forgiven me now.... seeing as I am not upgrading to a SuperDuke 990R or Sprint GT, she cannae really complain too much.....

• Like 1

larryblag

Wilbers or Nitron for the Tracer next year.

Was going to be the Akro but at £900 I've suddenly realised that I like the sound of (near) silence :logik:

makman

The Seller has just contacted me to say that it will be dispatched on 9/10 and with me by 12/10. Going to be delivered to my work address.  Funnily enough I will be WFH on 12/10, but am away the weekend anyhow, so best if it is delivered to work.  Nearly there. Just need to buy some fork oil now and get ready to get that done at the same time (and lots of grease!)

makman

Unpacked and drooled on the new shock.  Now just to work out when I can fit it to the bike!!! Be a couple of weeks before I have the time and energy.

skorpion
5 hours ago, makman said:

Unpacked and drooled on the new shock.  Now just to work out when I can fit it to the bike!!! Be a couple of weeks before I have the time and energy.

Let us know how you find it, looking at options myself.

makman

New Rear Shock installed.  Really was a doddle to do.  Did not need to take side panels off.  Took me all of 45 minutes.  Very happy with the result. Sprayed it in ACF50 all round before installing.

y4m7-bbB3JjwsjWmkaOWeZoNY0Vf_4jZtWqJWfSc

Edited by makman
  • Like 2

makman

Remembered how to insert image.... 

shiggsy

How are you finding the new shock ?

I started finding the standard rear shock to be pretty harsh around country lanes, so with nearly 45k on the original and some longer commutes on the horizon I have fitted a Hagon M61107.

The spring is rated for 75-100kg, and my weight with kit put me pretty much in the middle of that range, so when I checked the sag it was pretty close so wasn't worth adjusting the preload.  However first ride was pretty disappointing, it also felt pretty harsh out on the road,  no real difference to the original shock actually. The Compression \ Damping is set in the middle of the range so each trip I turned it down quarter of a turn and it gradually got better, by 5th adjustment felt like it was right, haven't gone softer than that yet but it now feels like a major improvement on the stock item.  

(The shock is £300 if you go through Hagon but £277 if you go through 'Bike Revival'  \ motorcycleshockabsorbers.co.uk, it took 2 weeks for it to arrive, which is what they said it could take).

makman

It is quite firm at the moment, but that may be because my forks are setup very firm. I've got to take some oil out to soften them up a touch.  Will do that tomorrow. The rear of the bike does feel okay and more supple, but I may back off the preload just a bit. Going to take a little while to get my ideal setting.  

rjp996
1 hour ago, shiggsy said:

How are you finding the new shock ?

I started finding the standard rear shock to be pretty harsh around country lanes, so with nearly 45k on the original and some longer commutes on the horizon I have fitted a Hagon M61107.

The spring is rated for 75-100kg, and my weight with kit put me pretty much in the middle of that range, so when I checked the sag it was pretty close so wasn't worth adjusting the preload.  However first ride was pretty disappointing, it also felt pretty harsh out on the road,  no real difference to the original shock actually. The Compression \ Damping is set in the middle of the range so each trip I turned it down quarter of a turn and it gradually got better, by 5th adjustment felt like it was right, haven't gone softer than that yet but it now feels like a major improvement on the stock item.  

(The shock is £300 if you go through Hagon but £277 if you go through 'Bike Revival'  \ motorcycleshockabsorbers.co.uk, it took 2 weeks for it to arrive, which is what they said it could take).

worth taking the lower pivot arm apart, taking out the tubes and checking thr condition of the roller bearings. I had a Wilbers for soem time and thought harsh, when it broke I put the old OEM shock back on but found one of the roller bearings bad, changed and its a total different ride (as it would) much more compliant (maybe would have been even better if I can get the Wilbers fixed and back on)

• Like 2

embee

Don't be afraid to back off the damping as far as you feel necessary. If the dial goes from 0-10 it's perfectly OK to use it at 1 or 2, no need to use it at 5.

Keep backing it off until you feel it has got a bit floaty or bouncy, then add one notch.

It's a regular thing IMO that particularly aftermarket shocks come with damping which is probably stiffer than you really need (handles better doesn't it, like a race bike?). At least with it that way it's likely to get a bit better with age as it will probably lose a bit of damping, and then you can turn it up a bit.

• Like 2

Tex
32 minutes ago, embee said:

Don't be afraid to back off the damping as far as you feel necessary. If the dial goes from 0-10 it's perfectly OK to use it at 1 or 2, no need to use it at 5.

My son’s Street Triple R was as stiff as a board when he got it so I wound it down to ‘full soft’ on all damping adjustments. Absolutely transformed it. If he ever does a track day I might have to think again, but it’s brilliant on the road. 

• Like 2

shiggsy
1 hour ago, rjp996 said:

worth taking the lower pivot arm apart, taking out the tubes and checking the condition of the roller bearings.

Been there, done that :)http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic/14267-suspension-needle-bearingseeewww/&tab=comments#comment-174947

Needles to say, I toke a look whilst I was doing the rear, shock, everything ok but packed some more moly in there anyway, winter journeys coming.

• Like 2