Timing marks

rjp996

I'm doing my valve gaps at the moment and I've read the threads however I'm still unsure on which of the two timing marks to use on each cylinder, as there is talk that some versions of the manual are incorrect, so I'm a bit unsure.....

sorry if it's been spelt out before, but don't want to use the wrong marks

thnaks 

TheEnglishman

1 is cylinder 1 and 2 is cylinder 2.  And there's marks on the cam sprocket as well.  

3 minutes in...

SteveThackery

He's measuring the clearances wrongly.  You can't measure them with just one feeler gauge.  You need two: the 'pass' gauge and the 'stop' gauge.

For instance, if a gap is specified as 0.007 inch +/- 0.001 inch (7 thou +/- 1 thou) you should check that a 6 thou gauge enters freely and an 8 thou blocks.  If those conditions are met, the gap is OK.  Remember: there is no "exactly" 7 thou.

When you are setting a gap, you can use a 7 thou gauge and aim for a friction fit, but you should always check it afterwards with the pass and stop gauges.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It's the usual mechanics approach. The 7 thou feeler should in theory be a running fit. If you do it with just the one blade you save a few seconds. When every Honda engine uses that feeler it'll soon wear down to a running fit! 

There is also the trick where they tighten the adjuster onto the feeler with a two foot long bar then drag out the mangled blade using both hands and the rubber mallet. The gap is then about half a thou if you are lucky. 

You know it's done this way when the set of gauges is corroded into a block with only the 7 thou blade stuck out and that has Olympic rings on it from the 2 foot bar trick! 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well I adjusted the valves - thank you for all the help above :-)

bike is almost at 60k miles now and this is the first time they have been adjusted. 

Inlets were all within spec +\- 0.02mm 

exhaust cylinder 1 was tight 0.24 And number 2 was 0.25

now to refill the coolant in the morning :-)

It can help if you give it some tonight. Leave it with the cap just resting over the filler and any trapped air stuff can just not happen as it settles overnight. Of course, if you are already on the brandy and cigars don't worry. 

Anry