SteveDude

e-bay screen warning.

SteveDude

Hi all, new to the forum and new to the World of NC's (my last bike was a BMW R1200GS and a Honda CBF600). Anyway, I'm happy with my '14 NC750X but fancied a higher screen, especially with the colder months coming. I initially got a PUIG screen which looked pretty good, but realised as I tried to fit it, that is was for a 2016+ model. Got this refunded and didn't think the screens for the older NC's looked tall enough. I eventually found another on e-bay, a Chinese import so I should have known, and ordered it. (Heighten Windshield Wind Screen Pare-brise For HONDA NC700X NC 750X 2013-2015). That is the description, I've not linked to it but you can go and look if you want.

The screen arrived pretty quickly and I fitted it. It looked OK with a smoke tint and apart from a bit of head buffeting it wasn't too bad. However, what they failed to mention in the advert is the fact (as I've now seen elsewhere) that it will collide with the handlebars if you have guards fitted which my NC does. Not the end of the world, but the first time I parked the bike up and turned the handlebar to lock the steering, the screen collided with it and it cracked the screen along the line of the fitting hole (I was careful not to overtighten it). I expected it to be more robust than that to be honest and was very disappointed.

Having asked to return it, I got the answer I expected and then a warning (not on their advert) that it wont work with hand-guards. A little strange as a lot NC750X's Ive seen have had hand-guards fitted, leading me to believe they are a popular addition. Anyway, that auction site stepped in. One nice lady fully agreed with me and said she’d arrange a refund, then I got another message saying they were not going to refund. I appealed on the grounds of a conflicting message, but they came back with a final answer stating as it broke after I fitted it, I was on my own and to go back to the purchaser...etc...etc...

I decided to wipe my mouth as it was only £59 (now £53 as they've reduced the price). But just wanted to warn anyone who may be looking for a screen with the colder weather coming. I am 6' tall, so may go for the shorter 2014 style PUIG vario screen with the additional top deflector. Unless anyone here has any recommendations?

Edited by SteveDude
  • Like 1
  • Sigh 2

cazmal

I don't know if it is compatible with the later models but I have a genuine Honda tall touring screen spare.(I have hand guards and it is fine with them)  I fitted it to my 2012 700X but changed my mind and put the standard screen back on.  It is sitting in storage in Devon at the moment. I'm only 5'5 (shrinking with age!) so cannot comment on it's suitability for your needs but give me a shout if you'd like to take it off my hands in exchange for a few shekels!

ps. There are numerous threads on the forum about screens!

SteveDude

Thanks Cazmal,

Yes, I've just seen the numerous screen threads, I think the Honda screen is maybe too short for my height. I may go for the Puig with the deflector which after half an hour of reading the threads seems to be the best fit for my height. :thumbsup:

Steve.

makman

I'm using barmuffs, so as they are softer, it does not affect the screen fitment.  Warmer hands too and no need for heated grips....  Thanks for the heads up though.  

Mr Toad
On 9/30/2018 at 15:26, SteveDude said:

Thanks Cazmal,

Yes, I've just seen the numerous screen threads, I think the Honda screen is maybe too short for my height. I may go for the Puig with the deflector which after half an hour of reading the threads seems to be the best fit for my height. :thumbsup:

Steve.

My 2014 NC came with the Puig screen fitted by the previous owner. It was a great screen but as you point out can give buffeting depending on rider height. I fitted the Puig deflector to mine and it fixed the problem. It also did not foul the Givi hand guards I later fitted.

• Like 1

arengle

As I was told sometime ago a lot of accessories are designed for the standard bike, Shad panniers bracket doesn't fit with the OEM top box rack (the nice one), a lot of windscreens will not fit with hand guards and I also got a radiator guard that once installed I was no longer able to do a full lock :) 

Rocker66
5 minutes ago, arengle said:

As I was told sometime ago a lot of accessories are designed for the standard bike, Shad panniers bracket doesn't fit with the OEM top box rack (the nice one), a lot of windscreens will not fit with hand guards and I also got a radiator guard that once installed I was no longer able to do a full lock :) 

When it comes to accessories I always try to have those that are fitted near each other from the same manufacturer for example Givi screen and Givi hand-guards as they are much more likely to be compatible.

• Like 1

sad vampire

I wonder what the Slipscreens ones are like, I use Slipscreens acrylic sheets for die cutting (crafts stuff).

May be worth giving them a call as they're in Wales.

Chris750
14 minutes ago, sad vampire said:

I wonder what the Slipscreens ones are like, I use Slipscreens acrylic sheets for die cutting (crafts stuff).

May be worth giving them a call as they're in Wales.

Had a short screen for the CRF from them, the first one arrived broken which they replaced no problem but the fit and finish was poor, cheap though.

• Thanks 1