40,000 mile service what should I expect?

Guest nibbler

Guest nibbler

Title says it all as Ethel is due her 40K service in a few weeks.  Is there anything I should be aware of, I know she will need a new air-filter and more than likely new front pads as as they don't seem to last more than 8,000 miles. She has also not had her valve clearances done as they have been fine at each previous service.

i had my valve clearances done around 32,000 miles on my 51000 mile S, I wouldn't bother at the moment if I was you. I have never greased anything on mine and touch wood everything is fine, I do spray with ACF50 or an alternative quite regularly though.Stuart what do you look out for as regards to replacing steering bearings? Thanks

Steering bearing wear can sneak up un noticed if it doesn't clik on braking . Gradually cornering will become less precise and a slight heavy feeling . Also the feeling of the front tyre `following` road rills will increase . At first I thought I was just getting old but after bearing replacement was better than new ! . Front wheel bearing wear at the same time will exacerbate symptoms.  I was going to do mine myself but as bike was in garage after being knocked over by a reversing van , I asked the garage in cork how much for the head bearing ,and they said 100 euro as the front of the bike was already off so I said go for it !

I cannot emphasise how much better the bike steers again .

• Like 1
Guest machinman

As above really, mine was tramlining and didnt want to turn, though on a straight road you would be correcting the steering as it wondered to one side. 

The steering was notchy if you unweighted the front on the centre stand.

Ive also changed tyres, so hoping ive sorted that problem.

Jeffprince

Took my bike in for a service last week. The vicar wasn't best pleased!

• Haha 2
MikeBike
6 minutes ago, Jeffprince said:

Cross?

Did you ask him what time for collection?

• Like 1
Rocker66
26 minutes ago, Jeffprince said:

We didn’t have that problem in the 60s as Father Bill actually had the bikes in church😀😀

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest nibbler

Well Ethel survived another service.  The only real issue was that the front and rear wheel bearing needed replacing.  I was also advised that the front disc will need changing in the near future as it is heavily worn but the front pads were actually okay

In all the service cost was £366 including the bearings, new airfilter, which I already knew about from the previous service and and 2 new spark plugs.