NC750X chain guard wobbly... I think?

maltpress

maltpress

The front clip on the plastic chain guard on my NC750X seems loose and I think the chain guard is rattling a bit (although TBH I can't always hear it and it could just be engine noise... I'm not used to it yet!).

I think the hooked over bit on the clip should go over the top of the guard and the straight up section should slot into the guard but I can't seem to wiggle it in properly and permanently. I've tried looking for pics online but it's not exactly a bit of the bike a lot of people share pictures of. Anyone experienced similar? Any ideas? I'm tempted to get a more solid aftermarket guard but aesthetic customisation is a rabbit hole my wife (and bank manager) probably won't want me tumbling down...

My 750X chain guard wobbles too. Not a failure of the guard, but a combination of value engineering and perhaps commendably an attempt to cut down on the proliferation of plastic.

Or less diplomatically put, ...... not man enough for the job

1 minute ago, maltpress said:

Earplugs and forget then? :D

Just keep your eye on it, but yes, I wouldn't worry too much yet. Mine has done about 15000 miles up to now and is fine. So maybe it is man enough, but after a lifetime in railway engineering, I'm too much a "belt and braces" man.

maltpress

Thanks. It's just had a service at the Honda dealership I got it from (second hand, 8k miles) so I figure it's fine. I can always replace if I need to. Just needed reassurance - all a bit new to me right now.

Jeffprince
5 hours ago, maltpress said:

Thanks. It's just had a service at the Honda dealership I got it from (second hand, 8k miles) so I figure it's fine. I can always replace if I need to. Just needed reassurance - all a bit new to me right now.

Don't assume a service will result in everything being as it should. Quite a few examples of dealer errors or overlooking things in these threads, I'm afraid. 

• Like 2
Andy m

IIRC you are right that the hook and clip have been assembled incorrectly. Undo the bolts, do the clippy bit then put the bolts back. 

Andy

baben

Out of interest, which dealer?