Newoldbiker

Best Intercom - reasonable price

Newoldbiker

I want to buy an intercom I can hook up to my fellow bikers so we can talk whilst riding.  I'd also like to answer my phone and link to a sat nav.  Can I just buy anything?  If not what should I buy?  Have a budget up to £150

Thanks 

KingJames

Hope it is more reliable than the 10c. Have had to replace the battery myself after Sena told me to FO when I raised it as being less than 50% life after less than 2 years and I need to reset it once a month on average as it refuses to video.  Picture quality ok when conditions are good but when not or at night the reg plates are not readable unless right up close. Guess that is a use case in itself. 

Pretty sure the pro was going to be a higher spec camera that is but would assume the delays in it launching are as a result of the reality of power supplies and weight/size bit hard. 

Chip

I use and can recommend the inter phone Sport. Does everything you mention, is very reliable and waterproof. I use mine every day and only charge it once a fortnight. For me the best function is the radio. It breaks up the monotony of the daily commute.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/282869

JamesS

Another vote for Interphone here. I have the F5MC model. Its a little long in the tooth but it does everything you want and has never let me down (I use it every day to commute). Completely waterproof & the rechargable battery lasts well too. Interphone is not as fashionable as Sena & Cardo, so they tend to be at a better price point. 

• Like 1

Woody 99

I thought I was clever buying Apple iBuds (or whatever they’re called) but they wouldn’t link with my Tom Tom (no intercom either). Thankfully I got my money refunded. 

Mr Toad

I can only offer my own personal experience.

I only needed to listen to the satnav so I bought a cheap one from Aldi for £39, the same model is available on fleabay under various brand names for about £30 and the description usually refers to Interphone.

It connected to both my satnav and phone without drama. It also connected as an intercom to a friend when needed and works flawlessly. Range is subjective depending on distance and surroundings, range is less in heavily built up areas and better in the open countryside. I've had over two years and it still hold a full charge.

Recently I bought myself a BMW carbon helmet and fitted the BMW communicator in it which cost much more. This also works flawlessly and is slightly better than the cheap one because it has a better amplifier allowing the volume to be higher if required, not the the cheap one is not loud enough at normal speeds but at motorway speeds with ear plugs it could do with a bit more volume, not a problem as I rarely use the motorway on the bikes.  The only other thing the BMW one offers over the cheap one is that you get audible announcements on the battery level....."Battery at 60%" etc.

The cheap one fastens to the outside of the helmet, the BMW one is installed inside the shell, something that is becoming more common.

• Like 1

Trev

Yup I've a fleabay special as Mason (link below), I  use it for comms to my wife when she rides pillion and it works well for that, battery lasts several hours easily. I did use the set when I rode with my Son in France earlier this year and it worked surpisingly well for that as well, not great sound clarity over about 60/70 but we weren't chatting just the occasional observation/look out for that/ direction. Range was easily several hundred metres which was handy when one of us got caught by ligths or traffic the odd time we were in a larger town.

https://www.that auction site.co.uk/itm/2X-BT-800M-Interphone-Bluetooth-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Helmet-Intercom-FM-Headset/273094209239?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20151005190540%26meid%3D30634384bb4545129eae2410b9139c46%26pid%3D100505%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D273094209239&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226

Edited by Trev
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mr Toad
neojynx
1 hour ago, Trev said:

Yup I've a fleabay special as Mason (link below), I  use it for comms to my wife when she rides pillion and it works well for that, battery lasts several hours easily. I did use the set when I rode with my Son in France earlier this year and it worked surpisingly well for that as well, not great sound clarity over about 60/70 but we weren't chatting just the occasional observation/look out for that/ direction. Range was easily several hundred metres which was handy when one of us got caught by ligths or traffic the odd time we were in a larger town.

https://www.that auction site.co.uk/itm/2X-BT-800M-Interphone-Bluetooth-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Helmet-Intercom-FM-Headset/273094209239?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20151005190540%26meid%3D30634384bb4545129eae2410b9139c46%26pid%3D100505%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D273094209239&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226

I have one of these and an Interphone F5MC on another helmet.  They both work very well and I make calls and use bluetooth with both. 

Edited by neojynx
  • Like 1

rjp996

i have thew cheapest Sena version (almost) the SM5FM - use it almost every day - connects to my phone, listen to the radio and also can talk to my wife as she has one too.

Things I like about it are that its a small form factor to a lot on the market and was not crazy priced for features I don't use.

Jeffprince
2 hours ago, Mr Toad said:

Luddite here....does it have a corded input socket? I use an old iPod....no Bluetooth.

Mr Toad
41 minutes ago, Jeffprince said:

Luddite here....does it have a corded input socket? I use an old iPod....no Bluetooth.

No Jeff, the only input is a USB mini socket used for the speakers and to charge it up.

• Sad 1

Steel Horse UK

I use an Interphone FM5C self- installed into my HJC full-face lid. 

They have now been superseded by the newer range (see Chips link above) which are superior for sure.

The Interphones can connect to other brands of intercom without hassle using the AnyCom feature.

(Not all brands do, check before you purchase! Specially if your riding buddy has a different brand.)

I can connect flawlessly to my mates N-COM system with the Interphone.    

It does everything on your list of must do's     

ScooterCommuter

I've had a couple of the that auction site £30 ones. One earphone tends to stop working after a year or so, and one unit completely died around the 2 year mark but at the price I was happy with it. I've now got the sena 10u fitted into my gt air and although the sound quality may be slightly better and I hope it'll last longer I think the that auction site one is a much better deal.

May depend on who you're riding with and what they have? I'm not sure if they're inter-compatible?

Newoldbiker

Thanks everyone.  Great advice and help as ever :-) 

giley
On 10/9/2018 at 22:54, KingJames said:

Hope it is more reliable than the 10c. Have had to replace the battery myself after Sena told me to FO when I raised it as being less than 50% life after less than 2 years and I need to reset it once a month on average as it refuses to video.  Picture quality ok when conditions are good but when not or at night the reg plates are not readable unless right up close. Guess that is a use case in itself. 

Pretty sure the pro was going to be a higher spec camera that is but would assume the delays in it launching are as a result of the reality of power supplies and weight/size bit hard. 

i found 10c battery was usless whenon firmware 2.... rolling back to 1.4 (think it was) gave me old battery back if that makes sense.... sena support is rubbish

• Thanks 1

KingJames

Top tip there. If the new battery starts to be pants I will give that a go. Do you get the camera refusing to record until you reset it on occasion?  

pjm

I had come up with a great price on a Shoei Neotec 2. However the SMH10 doesn’t fit as it is designed for a Sena SRL dedicated comms unit. Shame as that will add another £200 plus pounds to the price of a new helmet if I want to keep comms.

Grumpy Meltdown
On 09/10/2018 at 16:01, Newoldbiker said:

I want to buy an intercom I can hook up to my fellow bikers so we can talk whilst riding.  I'd also like to answer my phone and link to a sat nav.  Can I just buy anything?  If not what should I buy?  Have a budget up to £150

Thanks 

If you ride with the same bunch on a regular basis, it would be a good idea to see what kit they use. Most have a universal intercom feature but if paired with a different make, it uses the Bluetooth phone connection so you can’t make calls while paired.

Note, you are not using data to do this.

Me, I use a SENA 10S and am very pleased with it.

giley
44 minutes ago, KingJames said:

Top tip there. If the new battery starts to be pants I will give that a go. Do you get the camera refusing to record until you reset it on occasion?  

yes does need a regular format of the memory card, i think thats the same with most.

KingJames

Is that what causes it, I thought it was just random or from being bumped around when riding.

Edited by KingJames

giley
17 hours ago, KingJames said:

Is that what causes it, I thought it was just random or from being bumped around when riding.

i recon, if you have loop mode on then even more so imo!

• Like 1

KingJames

I do

Grumpy Meltdown
2 hours ago, giley said:

i recon, if you have loop mode on then even more so imo!

The same with dash cams. Format at least once every 3 months.