pjm

Rewire Security DB-1 Lite Tracker

pjm

I have to say this appears to be a bargain. You can pick it up from around £45 on the river site or the other site. Download the app, register,  scan the bar code and your off on a 7 day trial. A years cover is £59.99. It’s small and easy to self fit. You can then control it from your app. That’s a real bargain in the world of Trackers. It will also leave you in control of knowing where your bike is. I know some will say the Police won’t react. I think I would be able to persuade them to but would be looking to be hovering where it is myself if it was nearby. I side benefit is you can see a full history of where you have been if you go further afield and look to document your journey at a later date.

• Like 2

Pidu

Interesting. There is additional cost of GPSLive subscription after 1st year, currently £20 per year.

baben

Just looked at their site. Does indeed look good and would provide peace of mind for SWMBO when I was on a far flung tour as she could see I was behaving.

pjm

I am not sure but I think the £59.99 includes the GPS live. I had another one of theirs on my Porsche and i5 was very accurate and reliable. Another upside is that it is a UK based company that will talk you through any issues and do any tweaks to the set up you need help with.

Edited by pjm

Gasman

I have one on my AT. Very happy with it. Always get a text when it starts moving.....thankfully so far it has always been me moving it!!

kayz1

So what IS the REAL cost of this please Mr Gasman:niceone: any thing hidden away we can not see until you have bought it?

Lyn.

pjm

The 104 pro I had on the Porsche cost £20 per year for the GPS Live subscription then £5 top up on the Lycamobile 2g card. The DB-1 lite is the £59.99 annual subscription and as far as I can tell that includes the 2g card, GPS live and messages. I am still on my 7 day free trial on the DB-1 and will let you know when I sign up in a couple of days time. Still a lot cheaper than the large brand Trackers and having a UK based customer support. I have no affiliation to them at all.

pjm

The DB-1 has a couple of extra wires. One to pick up a switched live as ignition activation notification and one to output to relay set to cut the feed to the solenoid for example. I am hoping that the switched live will be able to act as ‘genuine’ use and not a get a movement activation message when it leaves my safe home zone. I am hoping I can then have it to notify non ignition movements outside of my safe home zone. 

Pidu

Mentioned GPSLive yearly subscription after first year as there is such info on the river site in Q&A section.

kayz1
1 minute ago, pjm said:

The 104 pro I had on the Porsche cost £20 per year for the GPS Live subscription then £5 top up on the Lycamobile 2g card. The DB-1 lite is the £59.99 annual subscription and as far as I can tell that includes the 2g card, GPS live and messages. I am still on my 7 day free trial on the DB-1 and will let you know when I sign up in a couple of days time. Still a lot cheaper than the large brand Trackers and having a UK based customer support. I have no affiliation to them at all.

I have e-mailed them to ask what happens if we have a bad do with Britex as they ( the euro's ) have already said they will ground our aircraft because we will not be able to use the , GALILEO & AGPS... see what they say.

klrman
Just now, kayz1 said:

I have e-mailed them to ask what happens if we have a bad do with Britex as they ( the euro's ) have already said they will ground our aircraft because we will not be able to use the , GALILEO & AGPS... see what they say.

Shouldn't paranoia have its own thread ?

• Haha 1

kayz1
Just now, klrman said:

Shouldn't paranoia have its own thread ?

Sod all to do with paranoia, a real question as was asked in question time a month or so ago.

kayz1

Well, what is your answer?

pjm

Thats politics. Not allowed as this is a politics free zone. Thank god.

klrman
9 minutes ago, kayz1 said:

Sod all to do with paranoia, a real question as was asked in question time a month or so ago.

Passionate ?

Gasman
2 hours ago, kayz1 said:

So what IS the REAL cost of this please Mr Gasman:niceone: any thing hidden away we can not see until you have bought it?

Lyn.

No hidden costs. All costs as advertised! Just renewed a month or so ago and think I paid about £45. 2 separate charges of 20 odd quid. One for SIM i think and one for their services. 

kayz1
3 hours ago, pjm said:

Thats politics. Not allowed as this is a politics free zone. Thank god.

Not politics at all it is a reasonable question If the EU stop the use of some thing the tracker relies upon, how will the tracker work with out access to the satellites???

and you will already have paid for one year subscription ?

Lyn. 

2 hours ago, Gasman said:

No hidden costs. All costs as advertised! Just renewed a month or so ago and think I paid about £45. 2 separate charges of 20 odd quid. One for SIM i think and one for their services. 

Thank you Mr Gasman Sir,

Hickky

You can buy a tracker for half that money. Pair it with a gif-gaf £5.00 sim card, connect it to the bike via a phone charger lead and it's all done. Use your mobile phone to send it a text message and a map will come up telling you where it is, or rather where you forgot you parked it. Useful for scooters in London and cheap, no subscription apart from gif gaf twice a year.

pjm

As I understand it GPS is run by the USA government and is provided as a free resource. The alternative EC version Galileo will not be up and running until 2026. Galileo is going to use satellites manufactured in the UK and the encryption is provided by another UK company. As such I don’t see any worries about not getting access to something that is not actually working yet as it would appear the GPS we are using is provided from the USA. Apparently the UK is considering providing its own alternative should we not be allowed access to Galileo. Seems we have the smarts here to do it in any event.

• Thanks 1

fred_jb
14 hours ago, pjm said:

The DB-1 has a couple of extra wires. One to pick up a switched live as ignition activation notification and one to output to relay set to cut the feed to the solenoid for example. I am hoping that the switched live will be able to act as ‘genuine’ use and not a get a movement activation message when it leaves my safe home zone. I am hoping I can then have it to notify non ignition movements outside of my safe home zone. 

The ignition activation is very useful, and that is what my BikeTrac does  One issue I have found is that once I put the bike in the garage it seems that the GPS becomes so weak that the unit's positional accuracy goes a bit awry and it starts reporting locations well away from the house, leading to false alarms.  The BikeTrac has the option to set a geofence area of variable size and will then not give an alarm until the bike's crosses this virtual boundary.  I had to set mine to 100 metres square to counter the "wandering bike" syndrome caused by the weak GPS signal.

pjm

The DB-1 also has the geofence facility. Tracker is one of those things you have but never want to use. Albeit the journey tracking history is useful 

pjm

Here is the response I got from Rewire: 

'Hi Peter,

Thank you for your enquiry.

The subscription for the DB1-Lite includes GPSLive software subscription as well as the Multi-network M2M sim card installed inside your tracker.'

Well that works out quite well.

Mr Toad

What are the charges for the M2M SIM like compared to a standard SIM? 

For anyone who is wondering M2M is Machine 2 Machine, they are data only and used in IoT, Internet of Things, applications where devices need to communicate and there is no need for speech or text messaging.

The cheap £10 tracker I bought off fleabay to play with has a giffgaff SIM and comms is via SMS. It works and has geofencing, it also has connections to the ignition and to enable fuel pump cut off. However, as I have mentioned in another thread about trackers it was a complete barsteward to set it up as the very scant instructions, two sides of A5, were for revision 1.0 of the firmware and the device had a much later revision using completely different command syntax that I had to use trial and error to discover.

Now it's working it's fine but believe me £60 a year isn't a bad price when you consider the time and effort I put in to getting mine working properly. What you're paying for is plug and play and UK support while I'm on my own.......

• Like 1

pjm

I agree with that Mason. It’s the complexity of setting up my own device that put me off when I looked at so many horror stories of people buying a cheap diy job and ending up binning it as they could not get it to work.

Edited by pjm
  • Like 1

White Skark

I have the BikeTrac on my Integra, it works great, had it put on new when I bought the bike in 2016,  don't have the weak signal problem you have in my garage. That seems a large area to geofence Fred, is it too shealded in the garage from something ?.

The reason I bought it was that it found Charlie Boardman's bike before they had chance to dismantle it.