maltpress

One bit at a time

maltpress

So here's the dilemma - new (well, second hand lower mileage) bike. Nothing non-stock on it. I have a long-ish list of things I want to do and change but a longer list of monthly expenses. Can you help me prioritise?

I'd like a bigger/better screen (I'm 6'0 so the stock screen is a bit noisy) but earplugs help and a noisy helmet might be the problem anyway.

I'd like hand guards to keep the wind off but muffs might be cheaper.

I'd like a centre stand to look after the chain, check my fluids etc but I can get by wheeling it around (and with help from a neighbour if I need it).

I'd like bars & lights or maybe sliders because I'm going to drop it doing my chain one day...

And to top it all my gloves are on the way to knackered and I need a better luggage solution.

With, say, £150/month, what would your priorities be?

Mister Paul

If you're riding through the winter, I'd go....

heated grips, hand guards

screen

centre stand

gloves

bars and lights

Luggage depends on how much you'd use it. I'd stick a top box somewhere towards the top

deecat

I would go good gloves ,then engine bars with some better lights of the auction site  if your bike has the poor LED headlight and you are using country roads.

I set off at 6.30 for work this morning and I am so glad that I have the additional lights fitted

I am sure that I have some new bar muffs kicking around that I never got around to fitting that you can have if you want to give them a try.

giley

I'd like a bigger/better screen (I'm 6'0 so the stock screen is a bit noisy) but earplugs help and a noisy helmet might be the problem anyway.

Screens are a pain- what suits one does not suit another and can be expensive. If you can live with stock then keep an eye on fleebay for a bigger one.

I'd like hand guards to keep the wind off but muffs might be cheaper.

Go for Muffs if on budget- probably do this first - will save you probably buying new gloves for a while

I'd like a centre stand to look after the chain, check my fluids etc but I can get by wheeling it around (and with help from a neighbour if I need it).

Cheaper to get paddock stand (£24)

I'd like bars & lights or maybe sliders because I'm going to drop it doing my chain one day...

Go for bars IMHO might be worth doing this soon again fleebay or ncshop have several different types to suit your budget

Bikevis aux lights are a good addition £90 though will fit on crash bars

And to top it all my gloves are on the way to knackered and I need a better luggage solution.

See above re muffs

Just my opinions :-)

maltpress

Thanks all. After riding in through the fog this morning bars & lights feels like it might be top of the list for now! I actually find the stock LED lights pretty good - at least better than the light on the cheap 125 I was learning on, which is my only real frame of reference... but still, better visibility is always a good thing.

Muffs feel like a good cheap interim so I can hold off on both gloves and handguards, and might be able to avoid both.

@deecat thanks for the offer - I'll have a bit of a shop around first, I think we're fairly well looked after with different dealers here. I'll let you know if I want to take you up on your kind offer. They don't seem that expensive if I buy some and don't get on with them.

• Like 1

suffolk58

You'll get a 1001 different suggestions here Adam (and all, well most, good.)

My advice (which in the past I've tended to ignore) is spend as much as you can afford, on really good kit, rather than cheaper items.

I myself, need a new pair of winter gloves and have seen a discounted pair of Rukka items at £139. Still expensive, but should be good for many years, if looked after.

• Like 1

Rocker66

Have you considered electric gloves as this answers the question reference new gloves and muffs.

deecat

Adam, you can not  get much cheaper than free :ahappy:

• Thanks 1

maltpress
33 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

Have you considered electric gloves as this answers the question reference new gloves and muffs.

I have considered them... I'm wary of lots of wires, I guess. I have Oxford heated grips which I love very, very much, but they don't do much for the backs of your hands which I guess heated gloves would help with. It's the wind and water as much as anything, though - if hand guards or muffs solve that then it's a good year-round solution.

Also a pigeon once flew into my right hand on my 125 so there's a constant fear of wildlife trying to kill me by hitting my brakes :D

9 minutes ago, deecat said:

Adam, you can not  get much cheaper than free :ahappy:

A very good point. I'll let you know.

Rocker66
1 hour ago, maltpress said:

I have considered them... I'm wary of lots of wires, I guess. I have Oxford heated grips which I love very, very much, but they don't do much for the backs of your hands which I guess heated gloves would help with. It's the wind and water as much as anything, though - if hand guards or muffs solve that then it's a good year-round solution.

Also a pigeon once flew into my right hand on my 125 so there's a constant fear of wildlife trying to kill me by hitting my brakes :D

A very good point. I'll let you know.

You can get ones with rechargeable batteries so no wires involved. They certainly keep your hands warmer than grips. I have tried both..

maltpress
37 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

You can get ones with rechargeable batteries so no wires involved. They certainly keep your hands warmer than grips. I have tried both..

Yes, they're very tempting. Those and rechargeable heated insoles.

As the winter gets colder I may well have a look. So far I've not had my grips higher than 50% and that's pushing it a bit...

pjm

Heated grips with muffs keep you warm and have the added bonus of keeping your hands dry.

Foxy
On 18/10/2018 at 12:39, maltpress said:

Thanks all. After riding in through the fog this morning bars & lights feels like it might be top of the list for now! I actually find the stock LED lights pretty good - at least better than the light on the cheap 125 I was learning on, which is my only real frame of reference... but still, better visibility is always a good thing.

@deecat

I would go for the bars and lights first, you mention one good reason above, but I leave my extra light on all the time, car drivers definitely notice me a lot quicker and many who are sitting in the outside lane get out of the way.

I have been riding on all sorts of bikes for over 40years,none had the extra lights and in the UK I have never experienced drivers getting out of the way like they do with the nc, for me that's a massive safety improvement.