Sign in to follow this  
makman

Brake Pads

makman

Changed my EBC HH Pads today. Managed 4685 miles on them....  have switched to SBS pads.  The city commuting is eating them alive!  I'm quite a smooth rider and don't brake excessively or hammer the brakes.  Wheel spins fine and the disc is in clean condition.  This was better than the 2400 miles on the EBC Road pads.  So no complaints there.

Wedgepilot

I gave my bike a service recently and pulled the front pads to have a look. They are the original Nissin pads from 2013 with about 24,000 miles on them. Amazingly, they were only half worn! They went back in again and my new EBC HHs went back on the shelf.

I do a mix of motorway and London riding - either I'm super easy on the brakes, or those Nissin pads are amazing!

• Like 1

klrman

My EBC HH  pads arrived today. I took the originals out for inspection at 16000 miles. There was about 3mm left, so it made sense to order some more. 

I've got 3mm left, but don't know what I started with and consequently have not got much idea how many more miles to go.

Anyone venture a guess ?

8ace

Any difference on brake feel between pads?

I'm a feel kinda guy rather than longevity, as my bike is a toy rather than a tool. The fronts are still the original Honda ones (I think) 2.5k, but I did change the rears to Brembo. 

For pads you have to factor the disc wear as well, but again I like the the "feel" Brembos although I've no idea of how long they last.

Martin

Tonyj

I seem to think the oem parts last longer then pattern parts in this area , I don’t have this as fact but I commute and mine feel alright and last . Bikes got 21k and I don’t remember changing pads yet. 

Bet ive jinxed myself now

• Like 1

Wedgepilot
11 hours ago, klrman said:

I've got 3mm left, but don't know what I started with and consequently have not got much idea how many more miles to go.

Anyone venture a guess ?

Maybe compare them to the new EBCs side by side? I know they are a different make, but the size should be similar.

uzi22
On 18/10/2018 at 18:20, Wedgepilot said:

I gave my bike a service recently and pulled the front pads to have a look. They are the original Nissin pads from 2013 with about 24,000 miles on them. Amazingly, they were only half worn! They went back in again and my new EBC HHs went back on the shelf.

I do a mix of motorway and London riding - either I'm super easy on the brakes, or those Nissin pads are amazing!

Hi Alan, any idea if the OEM Nissin front and rear pads are both sintered?

Got some Brembo replacement Sintered (HH) for the front Calliper  and Carbon ceramic (FF) for rear.

Tried to find some specs for the OEM pads they should be Nissin TOYO S20A HH at least at the front but could not find any reference for the rear ones.

Any idea?

KingJames

Hmm I get a year out of a set of EBCs and can get them for about 17 quids - https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/52499  I can do them myself so no big deal.

The SBS cost about 6 quid more.  Are they really any better in longevity and effectiveness?

Pleased I wasn't the only one who noticed how long the Nissins seemed to last

Andy m

The only one I avoid are Goldfren. I've had at least two lots that just didn't fit. Not the wrong fit, just wrong in a dimensions by half a mm so you could feel them stick or foul. 

Andy

Wedgepilot
6 hours ago, uzi22 said:

Hi Alan, any idea if the OEM Nissin front and rear pads are both sintered?

Got some Brembo replacement Sintered (HH) for the front Calliper  and Carbon ceramic (FF) for rear.

Tried to find some specs for the OEM pads they should be Nissin TOYO S20A HH at least at the front but could not find any reference for the rear ones.

Any idea?

I think the front are sintered, but honestly not sure about the rear - sorry!

skorpion
15 minutes ago, Wedgepilot said:

Standard Honda rear pads are not Sintered, but if you find them lacking in feel and power EBC FA140HH are far better.

uzi22
45 minutes ago, Wedgepilot said:

Cheers Alan, thank you!

27 minutes ago, skorpion said:

Standard Honda rear pads are not Sintered, but if you find them lacking in feel and power EBC FA140HH are far better.

Thank you, thought so as even the rear Sintered from Brembo are GG and not HH as the front one. Guess with the FF should be fine.