phasmatis

Panniers 35l ish

phasmatis

Would love to add some panniers to my newly acquired NC750X, what do you recommend?

Secondhand would not be a problem as on a budget.

embee

I bought my Integra used and it already had the Givi V35 "tech" panniers fitted. These are the usual good Givi quality an I've been pretty happy with them for touring, along with a Givi Trekker 52L top box.

If choosing from a clean sheet, especially for the X with its "adventure" style, I'd be looking at the Trekker panniers ("side cases"). The squared shape makes them probably more useful and convenient for packing stuff than the rounded shapes, but that's something for you to decide.

They do them in two types, the "tech" versions have an extra latching mechanism at the top which IMO makes them very secure, and I'd recommend this.

New they wouldn't exactly be a "budget" choice however.

Mister Paul
2 hours ago, embee said:

I bought my Integra used and it already had the Givi V35 "tech" panniers fitted. These are the usual good Givi quality an I've been pretty happy with them for touring, along with a Givi Trekker 52L top box.

If choosing from a clean sheet, especially for the X with its "adventure" style, I'd be looking at the Trekker panniers ("side cases"). The squared shape makes them probably more useful and convenient for packing stuff than the rounded shapes, but that's something for you to decide.

They do them in two types, the "tech" versions have an extra latching mechanism at the top which IMO makes them very secure, and I'd recommend this.

New they wouldn't exactly be a "budget" choice however.

The Kappa versions of the same are cheaper. Same plastics, but plastic lid cover rather than aluminium. They come with the extra side latches.

Ciaran1602

I second the Givi V35N or Kappa K33N; I've owned both on previous bikes. They're a sensible shape and good quality.

I currently have a SHAD SH36 set fitted, pics to follow. They're cheaper overall than the Givi sets and they are compatible with Honda's top box mounts however they make the thing super super wide and they're a slightly awkward shape for packing. 

247fab2d-41cc-4359-9626-aee88a1e35a1_zps

0afb536c-6ad8-41d4-96b1-17aa00d8adca_zps

Bart Stilgo

I have Kappa

5b61ac0c97a14_KappaK33N.jpg.21d4358c1811b795125c09b3a7a7cf83.jpg

fred_jb
33 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

I second the Givi V35N or Kappa K33N; I've owned both on previous bikes. They're a sensible shape and good quality.

I currently have a SHAD SH36 set fitted, pics to follow. They're cheaper overall than the Givi sets and they are compatible with Honda's top box mounts however they make the thing super super wide and they're a slightly awkward shape for packing. 

They don't look as wide as they were when I had some on a 2015 bike, looks like they have improved the mounts a bit.  I ended up modding mine to fit the mounting frames to a pair of Givi rack arms instead of the super wide Shad arms, and was able to get them much closer to the bike.

details here: http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic/7489-modified-mounts-for-shad-sh-36-panniers/

Edited by fred_jb

MikeBike
19 hours ago, fred_jb said:

They don't look as wide as they were when I had some on a 2015 bike, looks like they have improved the mounts a bit.  I ended up modding mine to fit the mounting frames to a pair of Givi rack arms instead of the super wide Shad arms, and was able to get them much closer to the bike.

details here: http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic/7489-modified-mounts-for-shad-sh-36-panniers/

Fred, Shad did modify them... After you modded yours, and I bought your boxes and modded (credit to Lyn @Kayz1) some other mount parts (another way but with a similar result)  I contacted Shad with pics and links to our threads on here with the suggestion that they should bring them in. They were grateful and did so! Not perfect but a lot better!

Here were my mods to the old brackets

Edited by MikeBike
  • Like 1

phasmatis

Thanks for all the advice, think I will go for a pair of Givi V35 "tech" panniers when funds allow.

Finlayson99

Shad here too

Super happy 

Quality product and the fitting is good IMHO 

Derm

The thing that would concern me is that with hard luggage and two up, the bike must be bang on its maximum payload.