DPO

New chain and sprockets - advice and opinions please

DPO

Last MOT advised chain has a number of high spots. Local Garage say they recommend mega chain (200bhp + etc.) and sprocket for about £230 to £250. As I only need this for a 2013 NC700dct and as I am what you might describe as "a very sensible rider" (old git!) What are your recomendations. Definately want and willing to pay for good quality but dont think I need mega racing chain. Anual mileage about 8 to 10,000 miles. Thanks in advance.

machinman

I went genuine, and they have done 20,000 miles. I expect to get 30,000 before renewal.

However, a lot of people go for JT sprockets and DID chains. Both highly reputable brands and significantly cheaper than genuine.

Don't be tempted with an alloy rear sprocket and ensure you get the correct sprocket sizes for your DCT. Its 17/39 on the 750, not sure for the 700.👍

• Like 3

Dunnster

I replaced my original @20,000 miles with JT sprockets and a D.I.D. 520 vx2 chain. Cost about £100 fitted it myself and so far it's been excellent. 

You don't need a "mega racing chain". Some folks have used 525 chains but the 520 is more than enough. :thumbsup:

Edited by Dunnster
  • Like 3

rjp996

as above is what I always go for exactly the same - I like the Honda sprocket better, however JT are much cheaper and last the same - so I go JT and DID 520 VX2.

I go for the endless chain and just drop the swing arm bolt. I recon its no longer to do than me getting a grinder out, removing old chain link, riveter etc.

I have a small laser thing i put on the rear sprocket that shines up to the front sprocket to get them in line.

• Like 2

neojynx

dont recall exactly which chain / sprockets I bought.  Cost around £70, since done 10000 miles on them and they are still good.  230 = 250? Rip off

embee
2 hours ago, machinman said:

......and ensure you get the correct sprocket sizes for your DCT. Its 17/39 on the 750, not sure for the 700.👍

The 700 DCT is 16T for the gearbox and 39T for the rear wheel. 

Personally I fitted a DID VX2 chain (X-ring), which works much more smoothly than the original spec DID "O" ring version, should be in the region of £65-70. If you wish to go top spec then the DID ZVM which will be more like £95-100.

• Like 3

DPO

Many thanks to all for your input. Greatly appreciated.

Graham NZ

Today I replaced the drive chain because it had a few loose sections rather than any tight spots.  I have all the gear to cut, shorten and rivet chains but I haven't fitted a new one for many years and had forgotten what a horrible, filthy job it is.

Just 13,800km on the old original chain but I know the bike had had a very hard life before I owned it.  Since 4,400km the chain has been cleaned and lubed every 1k km with Putoline DX11 but it was rusty in places when I got the bike.

Both sprockets look fine.

The new chain is a D.I.D. VO O-ring.

It amazing how much quieter a new chain runs even when the rear wheel is spun by hand with the bike on a centrestand. 

• Like 1

electric_monk

The original chain on mine was knackered at 15k km. Changed to DID X ring and sprockets and now have 45k km on the bike. Outside of tyre changes i've only adjusted it twice and there's still plenty of life it.

Cleaned regularly with a spray and wipe off of WD40 and then a light coating of gearoil with a toothbrush. No mess and only takes 2 minutes

DPO

Many thanks to all for your input. Just to confirm before I order. For my 2013 NC700 XD-C. (DCT/ABS) I need 16/39 sprocket set and ordering a DID 520 Vx2 gold chain (112 links) ?. I know there are many opinions ref make, OEM, etc. but just trying to ensure what I order will fit. Cheers.