16000 mile service

Guest Scooby_NOOB

Guest Scooby_NOOB

Due my 16000 mile service, any advice on where in Oxfordshire and best place to get it done? 

This is first service I have had to do on my bike and any advice is gratefully received?

How much would it be responsible to expect to pay for this service? 

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry Mate As I no longer live in Oxfordshire, I don’t have a scooby as to where or how much your 16k service is going to cost you!

Hope you get it sorted👍

trisaki

If you could get to west Sussex  I would do the service for you- properly and cheaper then the dealer   at my work shop  the only hassle  is the valve clearance  check must be done with a cold engine 

Guest Scooby_NOOB
On 10/11/2018 at 17:45, trisaki said:

If you could get to west Sussex  I would do the service for you- properly and cheaper then the dealer   at my work shop  the only hassle  is the valve clearance  check must be done with a cold engine 

Thank you for the very kind offer, i am away at the moment and might very well take you up on the offer in the New Year.

Thanks again, 

I would suggest you hve a day out and go to Mark's (Trisaki).

trisaki
8 hours ago, Scooby_NOOB said:

Thank you for the very kind offer, i am away at the moment and might very well take you up on the offer in the New Year.

Thanks again, 

If easier for you - you could drop it off one week and pick up the following  

Guest Scooby_NOOB
17 hours ago, trisaki said:

I will see what happens when i get back to the UK, but thank you for your very kind offer. 

dazznutts
On 11/14/2018 at 17:48, trisaki said:

Are you a full time mechanic ?

trisaki

Hi I run my own independent  wshop near Arundel  west Sussex  have serviced quite  a few Nc now  got a biggie to do on my own very soon  

• 2 weeks later...
MikeBike
2 hours ago, roddy said:

Blimey, the 16000  mile service seems so long ago for me.

which means that the 32000 will soon be looming on the horizon...

• 1 month later...
MikeBike
10 minutes ago, David Pearson said:

is the 16000 mile service bigger than any other service?

David

Yes it's the big one with valve clearance check / adjustment. Paid about £130 for 8k, about £500 for 16k incl adjusting all valves.

trisaki
2 minutes ago, MikeBike said:

Yes it's the big one with valve clearance check / adjustment. Paid about £130 for 8k, about £500 for 16k incl adjusting all valves.

It pays to change the coolant at the same time  

MikeBike

Yes Coolant was also changed on mine in the 16k service.

Air filter, Engine Oil & engine and gearbox filters (& brake pads front) Brake fluid changed, coolant chaged, valves inspected & adusted, chain oiled and adjusted, controls test,inspection & tread depths, lube pivot points, clutch initialize, bike checked and washed and couple of minor things adjusted/fixed.

1 hour ago, MikeBike said:

£500 !!! i think i will change my bike at that cost, !!!

Iron horse

Takes me about an hour to do the valves on mine, including removal and refitting of the rad. What's the average hourly rate at garages these days?

• Like 2

Takes a bit longer on an Integra with the Tupperware, and I tend to let a job fill the time available, but still easily done in a couple of hours if I set my mind to it (which I usually don't ……….. ).

Iron horse

I looked at buying a BMW F800 prior to getting the NC. The valve adjustment video on YouTube put me off. Looked like heart surgery.

Seems crazy when some of the services can amount to 20% of the value of the bike

And they do heart surgery on the NHS, I can vouch for that.

• 3 weeks later...

I was charged by my local honda dealer £317 for 16k service.

oil filter -£10.80

washer/plug/drain-£0.71

air filter - £30.27

labour -3.25 hours @60 -£195

engine oil-3.75ltr-£23.44

grease-£2.50

waste disposal-£1.67

VAt-52.87

Done valve clearance, air filter and engine oil/filter change.

"kin hell " this owning a bike these days is getting expensive !! £ 30 for an air filter ,!!!:ermm:

6 minutes ago, gonzo said:

"kin hell " this owning a bike these days is getting expensive !! £ 30 for an air filter ,!!!:ermm:

with VAT its £36

If it brings you joy and you can afford it, biking is just brilliant. Best not to be ripped off though if you can help it.

Out of £317 , £83 is for parts and rest is all for labour , i feel biking is cheaper if you do your own maintenance and small repairs. My CAT N resurrection would have ended under 100 if i haven't done that small mistake.

• Like 1