16000 mile service

Guest Scooby_NOOB

Iron horse

Completely agree. I reckon you can get oil, oil filter, air filter and brake fluid, all in for £60ish. So over 5 times cheaper.

Even if you invested £200 in some reasonable tools first time round, it is still a decent saving. I still stick to proper professionals doing chains and tyres  

MikeBike
On 01/02/2019 at 11:32, Ignatius said:

Out of £317 , £83 is for parts and rest is all for labour , i feel biking is cheaper if you do your own maintenance and small repairs. My CAT N resurrection would have ended under 100 if i haven't done that small mistake.

It's making a 'small mistake' that for me justifies getting a professional to do it as my skills or experience aren't at a level where I know I won't make mistakes. And IMHO my motorcylcle is not the place to 'learn' by trial and error.

For other things where I know I can do a good (or better) job without risking my neck I'm quite happy to save the money and be confident a good job has been done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Robvanelst

I found a Youtube on the subject of valve adjustment. With the engine lying nearly flat and easily accessible (well, after moving the radiator), the valves are set using "good-old" adjuster screws and feeler gauge - looks a lot easier than most of the bikes I ever owned (apart from the old BMW airhead boxer twins perhaps ;) )

KingJames

Got mine done by a local independant chap for 209 quid.  Valves and coolant inc.  Every year I need brake pads which I source myself (London commuter).