Andy m

Rewire Tracker

Andy m

Apologies, I've lost the thread where one of you clever chaps put me on to this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07B51D2HX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mine is now fitted and working. I am impressed. The box is the size of a box of kitchen matches. I am not telling you where I mounted it, but it's easy, just a case of finding a spot where the biggest face points skywards. You do the online bit first, just download the app. As it has a camera thingy to read the bar code that ID's your box it takes five minutes. The box is marked clearly, live, ground, switched feed, another wire we'll come back to. As I have wiring for my heated kit and phone charger already it took 10 minutes to do three wires. There were green lights and by the time the kettle boiled my phone knew where it was. Easy, painless so much less frustrating than the last one I tried that you had to top-up and text huge case sensitive strings to. 

I went shopping and was treated to messages about vibration, movement and the ignition going on. You get a trace too, it is accurate enough to tell you which side of the dual carriageway you are on. 

44653556375_c6b3dc64e7_z.jpg[/url]

I was a bit narked that you only get a weeks trial then have to cough another 60 quid for the subscription . (BTW you can save 50p a year by paying monthly). Thinking about it though, the Chinese texty thing that never really worked was burning a fiver a month in top up anyway. £1.25 a week for security and info on where I've been I'm OK with. 

The last wire is a ground you can control from your phone. I would love to wire this to a firework loaded with a chisel under the seat. Message says the bike moved, push the button, thieving scum get 12 inches of tool steel where it can do most good. Somewhat illegal and may go off accidentally, so maybe not. I am tempted to wire it to the horn. It will not be going in the ignition circuit as this will mostly tend to strand me when it goes wrong. Any other suggestions are appreciated. 

Andy

• Like 2

ste7ios
29 minutes ago, Andy m said:

You get a trace too, it is accurate enough to tell you which side of the dual carriageway you are on. 

Thanks to the Galileo!

Edited by ste7ios

Andy m

I forgot a bit. My phone was not vibrating. This is a limitation of Android. The app sends a notification. This means you can either have the phone buzz everytime some c***y app thing you didn't know you had updates, or you have to look for the messages. You can't filter out only tracker messages as far as I know. I will be turning on and off depending where I am. 

Andy

fred_jb
5 hours ago, Andy m said:

The last wire is a ground you can control from your phone. I would love to wire this to a firework loaded with a chisel under the seat. Message says the bike moved, push the button, thieving scum get 12 inches of tool steel where it can do most good. Somewhat illegal and may go off accidentally, so maybe not. I am tempted to wire it to the horn. It will not be going in the ignition circuit as this will mostly tend to strand me when it goes wrong. Any other suggestions are appreciated. 

Andy

I know what you mean about the ignition killer.  The alarm I fitted to my GS has this, but I dare not use it in case it strands me and I have to dismantle the bike to disable it!  Best to keep it simple with this stuff.  

However, I like the idea of inflicting some pain on a would be thief, but as you say, a mishap, such as accidental self castration, might be a possibility.  Maybe a high but non-lethal voltage jolt might be a safer option, something like an electric livestock fence connected to the bars!

Edited by fred_jb
  • Like 1

coopers12345
12 hours ago, fred_jb said:

However, I like the idea of inflicting some pain on a would be thief, but as you say, a mishap, such as accidental self castration, might be a possibility.  Maybe a high but non-lethal voltage jolt might be a safer option, something like an electric livestock fence connected to the bars!

Only non-lethal if it doesn't go off whilst being ridden, either intentionally or accidentally.

Something triggering a roman candle or similar to come out of the sides of the handlebars would attract a fair bit of attention from public and plod, and scare whoever took the bike.