tomcat

Chain cover.

tomcat

44890947_2131186533808732_47932459941101

An item I saw on Facebook on NC700Shop.com

• Like 2
  • Sigh 1

Foxy

Not a bad site that George but don't know about getting stuff into the UK.

kayz1

I have bought a few things from them and not had a problem:::YET!

We will see what happens next year..

• Like 1

embee

That is indeed a fairly basic question regarding how it will work buying stuff in the EU. Will it be treated the same as when we buy from the USA? Will we buy VAT free and then declare it for VAT over here? Import duty? We wait with baited breath...…………….

(not a politics subject, just day to day life next year).

• Like 1

kayz1

Again not meant to be political...I thought VAT was the tax that paid the EU tax bill.....so why is it not being dumped?

Tex
1 hour ago, kayz1 said:

Again not meant to be political...I thought VAT was the tax that paid the EU tax bill.....so why is it not being dumped?

No, VAT took over from ‘Purchase Tax’ in the early ‘70s (reducing the cost of a new Norton Commando by some £50 I seem to recall). Purchase tax has been a source of government revenue since God’s dog was a puppy. (Actually a tax on ‘luxury’ goods during WWII) It’s going nowhere. ;) 

Edited by Tex
  • Like 1

baben

VAT is a cunning device designed by the Devil's accountant. It is supposed to be fairer as tax is levied on each process that adds value rather than just on a finished good. I think it predates the EU. Chancellors love it because a small increase gets them a lot of revenue and it is hard to dodge. Plus, the poor old businessman acts as his own tax collector.  If things get really bad at any point in the near future I reckon an increase in VAT will be on the cards and possibly an extension into areas not currently taxed or taxed at  a low rate.

Spindizzy
35 minutes ago, baben said:

VAT is a cunning device designed by the Devil's accountant. It is supposed to be fairer as tax is levied on each process that adds value rather than just on a finished good. I think it predates the EU. Chancellors love it because a small increase gets them a lot of revenue and it is hard to dodge. Plus, the poor old businessman acts as his own tax collector.  If things get really bad at any point in the near future I reckon an increase in VAT will be on the cards and possibly an extension into areas not currently taxed or taxed at  a low rate.

Like 'air' for example.

• Haha 1

Graham

Let’s say it was a tax free day, what do you guys think of the enclosure?

Tex
3 minutes ago, Graham said:

As a styling exercise it’s knob on. As a serious attempt to protect the chain from road dirt, debris and water flung from the tyre it’s an abject failure. 

• Like 5

lipsee
21 minutes ago, Tex said:

As a styling exercise it’s knob on. As a serious attempt to protect the chain from road dirt, debris and water flung from the tyre it’s an abject failure. 

Well I beg to differ,,,, any full or semi enclose of the chain is better then nowt(and most guards these days are good for nowt)... but a full steel enclose would be the best option...Actually when I had my NC I was seriously tempted by this guard...  If I remember rightly it was produced by Rossi products in Italy,but that was probably about 5 years ago...   Anyway I for one like the look ,,, regards

Exceledsteve
1 hour ago, Graham said:

As Tex says. Looks good but it doesn't enclose the chain. It's totally exposed on the wheel side, as most are. From a chain protection point of view it only serves to get in the way when you need to clean/oil it. 

• Like 2

Graham
2 minutes ago, Exceledsteve said:

As Tex says. Looks good but it doesn't enclose the chain. It's totally exposed on the wheel side, as most are. From a chain protection point of view it only serves to get in the way when you need to clean/oil it. 

Thanks guys, I hope you get that tax shit figured out!

• Haha 1

embee

I had one which I was given when I bought my Shad seat (the chap had traded his 700 for a 750 and the cover wouldn't fit the new alloy swingarm). As said, it's completely open on the wheel side. I sold it to a forum member a few years ago. I wouldn't pay full price for one personally, but that's a personal thing. I have a full chaincase on my Integra which I made from alum sheet, so I had no need for it.

pjm

I had fitted one on my Integra. I customised it with a Givi hugger and I think the two together did give some level of added protection to the chain. As the guys say though it was completely open on the inside. In hindsight regular chain cleaning and lubing is a very quick job, if you have a centre stand, so unless a full enclosure was available I would not bother.

• Like 1

Mr Toad
8 hours ago, lipsee said:

Well I beg to differ,,,, any full or semi enclose of the chain is better then nowt(and most guards these days are good for nowt)... but a full steel enclose would be the best option...Actually when I had my NC I was seriously tempted by this guard...  If I remember rightly it was produced by Rossi products in Italy,but that was probably about 5 years ago...   Anyway I for one like the look ,,, regards

I will beg to differ too.

It's an exercise in style over function, it won't keep the chain clean and protected. What it will do is hide the fact that the chain is covered in crud and needs a good clean and lube.

Out of sight, out of mind.

Andy m

It might stop chainsaw oil flinging off onto the back wheel. Could make more sense in other parts of the world where lube availability differs. 

Andy

fred_jb
On 28/10/2018 at 12:54, embee said:

That is indeed a fairly basic question regarding how it will work buying stuff in the EU. Will it be treated the same as when we buy from the USA? Will we buy VAT free and then declare it for VAT over here? Import duty? We wait with baited breath...…………….

(not a politics subject, just day to day life next year).

Yes - interesting.  After Brexit it could work like Chinese and US purchases, where VAT is not charged at source, unlike stuff we buy from within the EU at the moment, and where UK customs are therefore supposed to process each package, either accept the often ludicrously low statements of value or gift status declared by the seller, or investigate further and revise, then impose an appropriate charge for inport duty (if any) and VAT.  This is usually collected by the delivery service, together with an additional fee paid by the customer for the courier's efforts in tax collection on behalf of UK Customs.

Depending on what type of Brexit agreement we get, if any, then this rigmarole may then have to be applied to all stuff coming in from the EU as well, the volume of which could dwarf that from elsewhere. Given that UK Customs seem to miss collecting any duty or VAT on about 9 out of 10 imports at the moment, and are currently being taken to court by the EU for allowing Chinese imports into the EU with ridiculously low estimates of value compared to their real value, thereby constituting unfair competition with UK/EU producers, then all I can say is good luck to Customs with that!

Edited by fred_jb
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Radarman
16 hours ago, embee said:

I sold it to a forum member a few years ago.

Murray sold it to me... :P

Yes it is not full enclosure but to me it minimised oil flinging from the chain onto the wheel and seemed the chain stayed clean for longer.

The main drawback was adjusting the chain. No way to do this without removing this cover which on the other hand wasn't anything complicated.

IMG_20161009_162231.jpg

• Like 1

pjm

Oil fling was the main reason I put it on my Integra. It did work.

fj_stuart

MZ had this worked out long ago. They used a plastic casing around the rear sprocket with a couple of rubber tubes for the chain. It worked brilliantly. I commuted all year round on various MZs and only lubed the chain every few months even in winter and it didn't really need it.

My Saxon from years back.

DSCF0091.jpg

• Like 3

lipsee
13 hours ago, Mr Toad said:

I will beg to differ too

It's an exercise in style over function, it won't keep the chain clean and protected. What it will do is hide the fact that the chain is covered in crud and needs a good clean and lube.

Out of sight, out of mind.

"Out of sight" is what I want,,yeah I think it will keep quite alot of crud of the chain,an enclosed chain last far longer(and requires less servicing) then an exposed chain,,, for example look how long a cam chain lasts,its enclosed and spins far faster...Styling wise,,this example has abit of a scooter look about it but to my eye still good looking,,  But the enclosed chain I really like the look of is on the BMW 600 scooter,,very smart....   anyway thats my opinion..regards

lipsee
7 minutes ago, fj_stuart said:

MZ had this worked out long ago. They used a plastic casing around the rear sprocket with a couple of rubber tubes for the chain. It worked brilliantly. I commuted all year round on various MZs and only lubed the chain every few months even in winter and it didn't really need it.

My Saxon from years back.

DSCF0091.jpg

Actually ,way back when I had a Yam XS650se,,, I fitted a Peter Furlong chaincase,,, I believe he used MZ parts and made up a spacer bracket....  and just the same it required hardly any maintenance (in fact none because the breather tube blow on the chain)...this MZ looks abit leery!!!  

Graham
8 hours ago, Radarman said:

Murray sold it to me... :P

Yes it is not full enclosure but to me it minimised oil flinging from the chain onto the wheel and seemed the chain stayed clean for longer.

The main drawback was adjusting the chain. No way to do this without removing this cover which on the other hand wasn't anything complicated.

IMG_20161009_162231.jpg

Nice shot, thanks!

Andy m

The key to the MZ is the fact its a tube and connects to flanges on the engine case. 

My best ones were red 301's. Favourite bike ever and not just because a industrial chain would last 50000 miles then cost a fraction of the price of an O-ring to replace.

Times move on though, Wurth lube and O-ring chain is almost as good. 

Andy