Mike5100

question for the electrically literate

Mike5100

I have a Lion jumpstarter pack which I think is 30000 mah capacity, and I would like to know if it would power my WarmnSafe heated jacket.  This draws about 5 amps at 12 volts so theoretically the powerpack could keep it running for 6 hours.  BUT - is it OK to draw a low current over a prolonged period as opposed to the 400amps over a couple of seconds that it is designed to provide?  

Mike

pjm

I can’t answer your question but I had a small lipo pack that came from Keiss for my vest. I used it for cold days at golf. Best it ever got was tepid. Same vest on the bike battery is like an oven. Must be current issue I am guessing. I suppose you could always give it a go.

Edited by pjm

Mike5100
11 minutes ago, pjm said:

I can’t answer your question but I had a small lipo pack that came from Keiss for my vest. I used it for cold days at golf. Best it ever got was tepid. Same vest on the bike battery is like an oven. Must be current issue I am guessing. I suppose you could always give it a go.

I've got one of those Keis batteries PJ, and mine works fine.  It's quite old now though and sellotaped together.  A new one of similar power is about £80 and my charger booster thing is about 10times the capacity and 1/3 of the price.

Mike

klrman

I've got some battery chickens who are all big U2 fans.

• Haha 1

baben
14 minutes ago, klrman said:

There are times on this forum when I question my sanity.

• Haha 3

Mike5100
32 minutes ago, klrman said:

Better not let my Lion battery near them then

klrman
Just now, Mike5100 said:

Better not let my Lion battery near them then

Yep, he'd certainly mark their card.

Well, their eggs anyway 

• Haha 1

Rocker66
30 minutes ago, baben said:

There are times on this forum when I question my sanity.

If you were completely sane you wouldn’t be riding a motorcycle ergo you wouldn’t be on this forum😀😀

• Haha 3

SteveThackery
8 hours ago, Mike5100 said:

I have a Lion jumpstarter pack which I think is 30000 mah capacity, and I would like to know if it would power my WarmnSafe heated jacket.  This draws about 5 amps at 12 volts so theoretically the powerpack could keep it running for 6 hours.  BUT - is it OK to draw a low current over a prolonged period as opposed to the 400amps over a couple of seconds that it is designed to provide?  

Yes, it will do it no harm at all.

• Thanks 2

halfabusa
On 10/28/2018 at 19:48, Mike5100 said:

I've got one of those Keis batteries PJ, and mine works fine.  It's quite old now though and sellotaped together.  A new one of similar power is about £80 and my charger booster thing is about 10times the capacity and 1/3 of the price.

Mike

I have one of those as my Keis vest that I bought as a spare and it works fine with same type connector for a fraction of the price of Keis branded battery, but I also can vouch for bike connection being much warmer than portable battery.

This is the one i have: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BWW4DGC

• Thanks 1

Mike5100
11 hours ago, halfabusa said:

I have one of those as my Keis vest that I bought as a spare and it works fine with same type connector for a fraction of the price of Keis branded battery, but I also can vouch for bike connection being much warmer than portable battery.

This is the one i have: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BWW4DGC

That's certainly less than half the price of the Keis one, but it's not the same type of battery pack as a jump start booster pack.  The one you have got is designed to provide a low ampage for several hours (which is what we want).  The jump start booster packs are designed to produce a huge ampage for a very short time, and I don't know whether that means they are unsuitable (or dangerous) for this application.

Mike