Sign in to follow this  
Andy m

Hugger - Avoid Pyramid plastics

Andy m

I took the hugger off the CB (reasons below), but despite this I am impressed at how much crud this has kept off

31807840748_aef3bd5652.jpg

The reason I took it off was it was rubbing on the tyre. This is because the design is honestly cheap and nasty. Its the Pyramid plastics one that costs £54 while the next one that's the integral with the chain guard is twice that. The cable tie round the swing arm is simply not secure. 

The solution was easy enough, bolt it to the chain guard.

31807840348_22552cf75a.jpg

You get what you pay for with this one IMHO.

Andy

• Like 1

Tex

I got a re-fund on a Pyramid fender extender that didn’t/couldn’t fit my Triumph. Pretty sloppy ‘design’ work.. 

PoppetM

Mine fell off and still remains in the garage.....

MikeBike

My pyramid plastics hugger on the NC is a flappy bit of plastic held on with a cable tie. It's not rigidly mounted and probably by now the cable tie and grit has worn away the paint on the swing arm.

It's more or less doing it's job though keeping the heavy crud off the suspension.

I wouldn't call £54 for a bit of floppy plastic cheap even if the rest are even more expensive, just the construction is cheap.

klrman

My VFR 800 did 30000 miles with a Pyramid hugger. It was good quality and did what Honda should have done in the first place

Wedgepilot

I tried the pyramid hugger on my X, and while it kept the crud off the suspension, I was always worried about the cable tie rubbing. And it's expensive for what it is.

I replaced it with one of those flap things which works just as well and suits the X better IMO.

• Like 1

alhendo1

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RhBm0b_qik1cKrCWJQ0UmMknqfEQyps3/view?usp=drivesdk

This is the plastic flap thingy off my NC750 now fitted to my CB500x...held on with heavy duty velcro....extremely effective at keeping the shock clean. I've stuck a bit of foam/rubbery tape on the swingarm where it touches it as the up down movement would most likely wear away the paint. ...so far so good.

• Like 1

Andy m

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vscKT3XHsvywVsWQ9

Flicker is now charging which is why the pictures are gone. 

Andy

20181102_120250_31807840748_o.jpg

temp

Skidmarx are also poor at fittings

klrman
6 hours ago, temp said:

Skidmarx are also poor at fittings

I glued the Skidmarx fenda extenda to the NC 17000 miles ago. It fitted perfectly and has never budged. I can't remember what the supplied fittings were like. 

temp
7 hours ago, klrman said:

I glued the Skidmarx fenda extenda to the NC 17000 miles ago. It fitted perfectly and has never budged. I can't remember what the supplied fittings were like. 

What glue did you use? I ask because it sounds great.

klrman
1 minute ago, temp said:

What glue did you use? I ask because it sounds great.

Oh blimey, now you're asking. It wasn't glue, it was silicone rtv.  From Screwfix in all probability. it was some I had in stock in a half used tube. 

With such a large mating footprint, using rtv from a 310ml cartridge gives sufficient strength without the necessity to drill the mudguard. Absolute cleanliness is essential

• Thanks 1