Martin Kendal

Which helmet should I buy?

Martin Kendal

Hi everyone I'm trying to decide between the shark evoline 3 helmet or the LS2 with the flip up mechanism like the shark. 

Which is the best helmet and do they fit in the trunk ? 

Thanks 

Hickky

Martin, get the one that fits you best. The buffeting from a NC is notorious, so comfort when the face part is down is most important. Go to a store try them both and wear each of them for at least 15 mins, then you are able to judge. You can always order on line if it is cheaper!

Rev Ken

Pauls advice is spot on. But make sure your choice is secure, that is can it be rotated over your face or even come off! There are U tube videos of how to choose and test helmet fit. 

the only thing I would quibble with Paul is that if a shop is letting you try a umber of helmetsI would prefer to give them my custom if the price difference isn't too great. If it is, let them know and see if they can get near it.

• Like 3

rjp996

i bought 2 helmets before I found the right one that fitted - they are all different shapes so all fit differently in my experience. My first one felt ok until you had it on for 1hr when the rounder shape made pressure points at the front - turns out i have a shoei shaped head (unfortunately not the cheapest). My advice really take your time - try every one on, see if they will let you wear the final choice for an extended period in side to just make sure. I also (being an analytical  type) - reviewed all the helmets I shortlisted on the SHARPS crash team site to see where areas of concern were

kayz1

Richard, if you a shoei shaped head and think they are to many of our £'s then try a German helmet....Schubert or what ever they are called these days..same shape and now a lot less £'s as they come in standard and the one's fitted with the VERY expensive comms gear.  Ow! and a big bonus with them is they are probably the

quietest lid on the market..even the flip fronts.

Lyn.

Edited by kayz1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

suffolk58

This web site may be American but I find it very good: https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/

The buying guide is excellent as are their helmet reviews.

• Thanks 1

Bassman

Hi Martin

I thought i would put my twopence worth in on the helmet choices. I'm on my second Shark Evo 3, it is one of the very few helmets that works really well either open face or full face. Great to use in the summer when just cruising the A and B roads in open face mode, the visor is deep and protects most of your face well, on the motorway or when riding at higher speed the full face mode works just as well. It is true that it looks bigger on your head than other brands, but it is really comfortable with removable washable lining. Some people say it is noisy but I have not found that to be the case. Many flip front helmets only lift part way and act like a giant sail if you try and ride open face, on the Shark the flip part moves right to the back and locks, it's just a great helmet for everyday use. As you can see I am a fan, and to make it even better many sellers have got them on offer I paid £225 but you can pick one up now for £189 absolute bargain.