daryl631

Led headlights

daryl631

Hi can anyone recommend which led bulb for a 2013 nc700xa  i can use in my headlight,i have tried these in the car and they are rubbish. Thanks Daryl 

kayz1

Hi Daryl, i would not bother to be honest with you. Go for night breaker or some other well known brand of standard bulb.

The LED's are good at being seen but not seeing...Unless you use LED spot lamps in conjunction with the normal light units

as you can direct a pair of spots to where you want the light to be.

Lyn.

ste7ios

What Lyn said. It’s very rare to find a retrofit that works correctly.

Lighting is not only the lamp. Mirrors & lenses design depends on the specific  light source. Changing the light source means that we have to replace everything with compatible mirrors, etc... Which is impossible because there are no such after market parts.

We don’t realize it easily but the whole retrofit market is a fraud... China is taking advantage of our desire for more lighting.

• Like 1

SteveThackery

Absolutely got to agree with the previous posters.  There is no suitable LED replacement for quartz halogen bulbs - they just don't work the same way and the beam pattern will not be the same.

The advantages are very moot anyway: LEDs have the potential to last longer than quartz halogen, but loads of Chinese LED lamps don't because they deliberately overload the LEDs to save costs.  LEDs use less electrical power, but the difference is so small there's not a chance that you'd notice it in your mpg figures.  In terms of light output: well, they could produce more light, but so could quartz halogens: the light output is deliberately (and rightly) limited by EU regulations to avoid dazzling.

Really an LED lamp has to be designed from the ground up - as Stelios says, the light source, reflector(s) and lens(es) are all interdependent.  

Edited by SteveThackery
  • Like 1

Trev

Ooer, about to fit a LED replacement 'bulb' to my Enfield, got it a few months back but sat in the garage amongst my other 'to do' list items and only jsut getting around to it. It only cost me a few quid (hence probably won't last Steve) but only need to change connectors on it to fit it so will give it a go and see (:whistle:) what I think. Although I tend not to use the Ennie much at night it is my go to Winter/crap weather bike so gets used a lot in low light conditions so a brighter headlight won't hurt although I have already replaced the parking malp with an LED which is much brighter than the standard one and of course the Enfield ncaelle lamps are like LED spotlamps ..... not :D

• Like 1

SteveThackery

Incidentally, I don't decry all replacement LED bulbs for the other lights - some work quite well, but others are rubbish and fail quite quickly.  Also, some don't put out much light to the sides.  It's really hard to know what kind of quality you are getting.  I put an LED in the back light of my Enfield and it was great - brighter, with good visibility from all angles, and lasted for as long as I kept the bike.  I also put LED instrument lights in it, and they were hopeless - brighter, but failed after a few months.

The problem I've found is that there doesn't seem to be a reliable way of knowing in advance the quality of the LED bulbs.  Perhaps go for one with a well-known brand name?

• Like 1

Andy m

Does anyone use an LED "bulb" as OE fit? I always took the round clusters of LED's to be a retrofit solution so difficult to find in a known quality, while the vehicle manufacturers mount single LED's in groups in dedicated housings to sort out the reflector issues.

Andy 

Dunnster

My original 2012 Japanese factory fitted halogen H4 is still working 6 years and 27000 miles ridden.  When it fails I'll replace it with another, probably manufactured by Osram or Phillips.  :yes:

Edited by Dunnster

kayz1

Stelios/Steve, you did not read what i said.. The OP asked for a replacement for ( LED ) unit for his NC700. They did not come from the factory with LED lights but standard Light units i think!

I then said!

i would not bother to be honest with you. Go for night breaker or some other well known brand of standard bulb.

The LED's are good at being seen but not seeing...Unless you use LED spot lamps in conjunction with the normal light units

So what have i said that is wrong please?

• Sigh 1

MikeBike
1 hour ago, kayz1 said:

Lyn, dont think you've said anything wrong. THink Steve/Stelios just saying about pitfalls of fitting LED aftermarket.

I completely agree with the Osram nightbreaker recommendation - fitted on mine and made a HUGE difference in brightness and whiter colour and has lasted well too.

The new NC's LED's aren't any good at being seen either - far too narrow a beam and looks like it's not switched on from a few degrees off line (like a car in a side road waitng to pull out for example). Not good.

kayz1

Mine on the Forza 300 are a crime against lighting, they should ( the makers of them ) be made to ride at night on unlit roads and then straight into a town..

embee

I'd also recommend either Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited or Laser (or other variant), or a Philips offering, X-treme Vison or similar. You could try somewhere like https://www.powerbulbs.com/  (currently a discount code for 20%)

https://www.eurocarparts.com/   or similar, a reputable supplier where you'll get genuine items not fakes (auction site has many fakes, difficult to spot).

Do a search for H4 lamps and you'll get all the variants available. Take your pick. Philips do some H4 LED lamps at a price (!) , probably very good but not road legal and you need a mortgage.

daryl631

Thanks for replies,i have hid bulb at the moment its very bright but i think it dazzles other drivers so i will be replacing it on winter strip down,along with camera kit with front and rear camera's.I have a front one already but i find i get more trouble from behind.

ste7ios
5 hours ago, SteveThackery said:

Incidentally, I don't decry all replacement LED bulbs for the other lights - some work quite well, but others are rubbish and fail quite quickly.  Also, some don't put out much light to the sides.  It's really hard to know what kind of quality you are getting.  I put an LED in the back light of my Enfield and it was great - brighter, with good visibility from all angles, and lasted for as long as I kept the bike.  I also put LED instrument lights in it, and they were hopeless - brighter, but failed after a few months.

The problem I've found is that there doesn't seem to be a reliable way of knowing in advance the quality of the LED bulbs.  Perhaps go for one with a well-known brand name?

If you are talking for LED bulbs for turn signals and stop lights you may find some good ones. They must have protection circuitry because LEDs can't stand for long the high and unstable voltage of a vehicle. The best may also have lenses on each LED to diffuse the light for visibility from every angle.

Their color must be the correct one otherwise it will be filtered by the lenses and it will faint or even invisible. Red for stop lights, Orange / Yellow for turn lights and so on...

But there's no way to have proper lights with LED bulbs. You may have the impression that they're ok but usually they are not. The LED beam will not be proper because it needs different optical elements...

Just ask yourself (not only Steve) why there's not any true aftermarket LED solution by Philips, Osram and all other lighting or motorcycle aftermarket parts companies...

Edited by ste7ios

ste7ios
4 hours ago, kayz1 said:

Stelios/Steve, you did not read what i said.. The OP asked for a replacement for ( LED ) unit for his NC700. They did not come from the factory with LED lights but standard Light units i think!

I then said!

i would not bother to be honest with you. Go for night breaker or some other well known brand of standard bulb.

We did and we totally agree with you. I refered to different light sources, that is LED and Xenon / HID.

The enhanced Osram Night Racer, X-Racer, Night Braker (for cars), or Philips X-treme Vision Moto are all halogen bulbs the as the standard bulb but with much shorter lifespan...

And no, they're not really good at all. Other road users may be temporarily blind by the strong diffused light. I was always aware of it, but I realized it lately by seeing my parents at the age of 60 and 70 something. They can't drive safely at night because strong lights cause blurring and other special effects...

The spots can be a safe and good solution when riding on the country roads, no light conditions... You'll be able to see the turns.

Rev Ken

I've used HID conversions for the last 10 years. The first ones were 'not bad' but did cause light scatter. My recent ones are 'brilliant' being brighter than any halogen bulbs, longer lasting, and designed to give exactly the same beam pattern to OEM bulbs. BUT  stupidly they are now an MOT failure item based on earlier experiences of dazzle, not modern well manufactured HID lights. AND they are still allowing LED aftermarket lights! :BangHead:

I've been in correspondence with them with little success, but hopefully 'light will dawn'. :devil:

• Like 1

kayz1

Remind them Rev Ken Sir that it was you who wrote the book that keeps them in a job...:dielaugh:

embee

I don't know if the C&U regs have been revised/rewritten recently, but they were compiled for "filament lamps", stating requirements for "E" markings on any filament lamp for example. I don't know if it has been addressed but as far as I could make out it didn't specifically preclude nor proscribe LED lamps, it just didn't mention them. Absence of evidence vs evidence of absence and all that. Maybe it's been updated. I don't know if it's ever been tested in court, probably not.

I fitted some Osram LED sidelights in the Integra to replace the glow-worms which were in there. Having trawled the Chinese offerings on the auction site I decided to splash out quite a lot of dosh on the Osrams, which are excellent products (quality, colour, brightness, longevity) but because of the stupid legislative situation they come with a label saying "for interior use only" in vehicles. They work outside fine, by the way.

SteveThackery
11 hours ago, kayz1 said:

I'm confused.  I was agreeing with you.  I said:  "Absolutely got to agree with the previous posters.  There is no suitable LED replacement for quartz halogen bulbs......."

"Previous posters" means you, Lyn.

djsb

Shame this company dont make light for motorcycles (these are fitted to my E-bike (including Dipped and main beam)).

https://supernova-lights.com/en/

and the design department

http://supernova-design.com/en/

As said above the mirrors and led's etc have to be developed as a whole.

Wouldn't bother with anything but a nightbreaker on the NC.