halfabusa

Tucano muffs causing throttle to stick

halfabusa

Hi all, I bought and fitted tucano muffs (R365 model) based on lots of advice here. I was using universal type of tucanos for years anyway so I didn't need to be sold on its effectiveness. Fitting was impossibly hard through the narrowest gap in their openings. They both are on now after fighting with the handlebars for a while. I tried my first day with them today, and realised before long that the right muff is holding on to the throttle, resulting in me having to force close the throttle when slowing down rather than just releasing it. Initially when fitting I noticed the brake lever was getting caught to the plastic shape holder inside, so i had to twist the muff downwards a bit, which cured that. however I can't seem to get to the bottom of why throttle issue is happening.

I have oxford heated grips, so i suspected the wire getting caught might be the reason, but the wire seems to be free enough. The muff is completely over the handlebar controls as it's supposed to be. Should i take the muff off a bit, so that the switches like engine start, cut off, D/S/Natural and M/A are outside of the muff? It took a LOT of effort to get it over them so i'm a bit uneasy trying that in case it doesn't help, and I end up with buttons outside of the muff.

Any ideas?

neojynx

I also have Oxford grips and the same muffs.  Mine are perfectly ok.  It took a lot of effort to put the muffs on, but I was used to it as Ive had them before.,  I would suggest you revisit the installation from scratch. Which buttons ended up outside?

Edited by neojynx

halfabusa
10 minutes ago, neojynx said:

I also have Oxford grips and the same muffs.  Mine are perfectly ok.  It took a lot of effort to put the muffs on, but I was used to it as Ive had them before.,  I would suggest you revisit the installation from scratch. Which buttons ended up outside?

None at the moment, but I found the issue to be with the wire of the oxford grips. See the photos below:

lD1BY7u.jpg

DA4orRS.jpg

1qoQDii.jpg

halfabusa

The wire coming out of the grip is getting resistance at the bottom of the muff therefore holding the throttle. I tried pushing the wire in more, pulling it out more, neither had any positive effect.

pjm

Perhaps a small amount of silicon grease on the cable or experiment with a small square of smooth plastic cut from a bottle like a shower gel bottle, and secured with a bit of Velcro to the inside of the muff to act as a slide for the cable.

halfabusa

Hmm not keen on the grease idea inside the muffs as it'd just end up smearing al over the place as my gloves get into contact with it, but a bottle or a round tube of some sort might be an idea to explore. It would need to be anchored to the handlebar somehow though, i can't velcro it to the muff as it needs to stretch the velcro downwards to let the cable move freely. I'm thinking to just leave it as it is cause that option would take up space inside the area which is already cramped to reach with gloves. 

Plus it provides me a free cruise control (even tho i have a cruise control peg thingy already. I might even take that off now that i don't really need it)

fat al

i had a similar problem with  heated grips and muffs, i put a small bracket from the brake  mounting bolts that went inside the muffs and pushed the  fabric of the muffs down enough to clear the cable.

al

rjp996

Do you have the muffs bolted to the end of the bar end - e.g. Inside the muff. I've seen someone put the bar end on the outside of the muff in error. 

Dunnster

I have the same muffs, I had an issue with the brake lever but I solved that by angling the muff downwards, no problems with the throttle though.  I reckon its interference with your "cruise control peg thingy". 

Edited by Dunnster

halfabusa
3 hours ago, fat al said:

i had a similar problem with  heated grips and muffs, i put a small bracket from the brake  mounting bolts that went inside the muffs and pushed the  fabric of the muffs down enough to clear the cable.

al

That's exactly the kind of fix i need. Any chance you could send me a photo of your setup to give an idea what I could do about mine?

1 hour ago, rjp996 said:

Do you have the muffs bolted to the end of the bar end - e.g. Inside the muff. I've seen someone put the bar end on the outside of the muff in error. 

The bar ends are inside the muffs, the screws go in from the outside into the muff as it's supposed to. 

11 minutes ago, Dunnster said:

I have the same muffs, I had an issue with the brake lever but I solved that by angling the muff downwards, no problems with the throttle though.  I reckon its interference with your "cruise control peg thingy". 

Yep, i angled mine downwards but still have a niggling thought that it's secretly holding on the lever and keep pushing the lever back on the road by instince. 

I thought of the same but taking the cruise control peg off didn't change anything in the throttle behaviour. I firmly believe it's the wire of the heated grip that's the culprit. Fat Al's solution is what I need  

PoppetM

I have no problem with mine catching but I don’t have the leg thing or heated grips. I have never got mine of the switches on the side as my brake reservoir is too close, my kill and starter switchers are in the outside of the mitt.

Sorry to hear you having issues with them. My only issue is some of the huge arachnids that hide in them!

Edited by PoppetM

halfabusa
50 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

My only issue is some of the huge arachnids that hide in them!

:cry: I have arachnophobia! Don't say things like that :( For years i never thought of it twice, now i'll have to bag them up every night

• Sigh 1

fat al

hi halfa, sorry, don't have any pics, i threw my heavily modified muffs away  earlier this year, they had been on 4 different bikes, i used strips of metal that i had lying around  and cut them up before bolting together, think mecanno  strips, a short piece  bolted to front brake bracket with another piece  at right angles to it  that goes inside the muff forcing the bottom down enough to clear the cable when the throttle is operated.

looking at your pics, if you slide a piece o of thin  wood or plastic between the throttle cables and the muffs it might give you enough clearance then if it works , cable tie it to the cables.

al

PoppetM
1 hour ago, halfabusa said:

:cry: I have arachnophobia! Don't say things like that :( For years i never thought of it twice, now i'll have to bag them up every night

Sorry! Me too. I can sense when one is on a room even without seeing it. 

I honestly dont check them, they usually run when I take the bike over off and in three years I have only seen two!

pjm

Just double check that you have not pushed the bar end up against the end of the heated grip when you have pushed them in. That can have the same effect.

halfabusa
3 hours ago, fat al said:

hi halfa, sorry, don't have any pics, i threw my heavily modified muffs away  earlier this year, they had been on 4 different bikes, i used strips of metal that i had lying around  and cut them up before bolting together, think mecanno  strips, a short piece  bolted to front brake bracket with another piece  at right angles to it  that goes inside the muff forcing the bottom down enough to clear the cable when the throttle is operated.

looking at your pics, if you slide a piece o of thin  wood or plastic between the throttle cables and the muffs it might give you enough clearance then if it works , cable tie it to the cables.

al

No worries, I'll try to tinker with it on the weekend. But first its time for a good wash and ACF50 as heavily recommended in this forum and elsewhere. Let's see what's all the fuss is about :)

1 hour ago, pjm said:

Just double check that you have not pushed the bar end up against the end of the heated grip when you have pushed them in. That can have the same effect.

Hmm i didn't suspect the bar end sides because unlike my previous tucanos, these muffs don't have a plastic tube that fits on to the bar ends and instead screw itself holds it. On those this was an issue when I had them pushed all the way in, resulting in the plastic tubing of the muff end catching on the throttle. But now you mentioned it, i'll take a look at the bar ends closely to see if they are too far in.