Jump to content
Rosewellian

Engine management light

Recommended Posts

Rosewellian

Only 2200 miles on the clock and rode bike today for first time in 7 days . EML came on. No effect on performance but I guess it’s a trip to dealer for investigation hopefully under warranty?

  • Sigh 1

Share this post


Link to post
trisaki

Might be worth checking  battery terminal  tightness  and battery voltage 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Tex

Try it again today, the light may go out. If it does, don’t worry about it, if it stays on get your dealer to run a diagnostic check. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
DaveM59

Check the voltage across the battery as you rev it, rising above 15 volts indicates a dud regulator which will light the warning.

Actual sensors generally don't fail while not powered but regulators often fail just at the point power is turned off so seem to fail while not used.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Rosewellian

Just got back from Honda diagnostic check, nothing showed up so sent away with if it happens again and wont reset by re-cycling ignition bring I back. (Apparently wet weather can sometimes cause erroneous readings).

 

Nice touch whilst in the workshop they checked tyre pressures and put air in the rear which was a couple of PSI low.

 

Was expecting a small bill but it was done complimentary. 

 

Thanks Chatfields Honda

 

 

Edited by Rosewellian
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Andy m
1 hour ago, Rosewellian said:

(Apparently wet weather can sometimes cause erroneous readings).

 

 

Glad you are sorted. 

 

I dispare though. They were doing so well, no fault stored, no obvious fault, no charge,  nothing more they can do today, go ride it. Then they tell you its caused by sun spots or the Gods being angry or the time of the month or the fact the bike they sold you doesn't meet the IP rating it's required to. This is ******s. 

 

If wet weather makes the light come on, it has a fault, probably a wiring loom fault that they will need to diagnose and fix. It will only likely be possible to diagnose and fix economically when it is less intermittent, so they are right, best go ride it.

 

The "Electrikery of the loom fairies be much much confusing us" stories are best ignored. 

 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
giley

when did it come on.. i occasionally get it and my mechanic chap reakons it's o2 sensor getting confused with heat/signal. my'n goes away after restart. myn happens normally after a cold start then short trip/ minutes/ then it comes on at that start. Had it when i went and got petrol before going for mot. 

Share this post


Link to post
SteveThackery
4 hours ago, giley said:

when did it come on.. i occasionally get it and my mechanic chap reakons it's o2 sensor getting confused with heat/signal. my'n goes away after restart. myn happens normally after a cold start then short trip/ minutes/ then it comes on at that start. Had it when i went and got petrol before going for mot. 

 

I don't wish to seem unkind, but he's not giving you the straight dope.  The O2 sensor is a simple device which doesn't have enough brain cells to become "confused".  When it's cold, it behaves electrically like a very high resistance.  When it's up to operating temperature its internal resistance falls to about 10kilo-ohms and it generates a voltage between 0V and 1V, depending on whether there is any free oxygen in the exhaust gas.  It may be drifting out of spec - especially if it has been contaminated by something in the fuel.  If it's on the edge of its specification, it may intermittently be logged as faulty by the ECU.

 

Has your mechanic confirmed that there is a fault code for the O2 sensor?  If so, then the cure is to replace it.  If he hasn't confirmed it, then you really should get someone to read the fault codes before taking any action.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
giley
9 hours ago, SteveThackery said:

 

I don't wish to seem unkind, but he's not giving you the straight dope.  The O2 sensor is a simple device which doesn't have enough brain cells to become "confused".  When it's cold, it behaves electrically like a very high resistance.  When it's up to operating temperature its internal resistance falls to about 10kilo-ohms and it generates a voltage between 0V and 1V, depending on whether there is any free oxygen in the exhaust gas.  It may be drifting out of spec - especially if it has been contaminated by something in the fuel.  If it's on the edge of its specification, it may intermittently be logged as faulty by the ECU.

 

Has your mechanic confirmed that there is a fault code for the O2 sensor?  If so, then the cure is to replace it.  If he hasn't confirmed it, then you really should get someone to read the fault codes before taking any action.

 

Oh ok maybe I was mistaken in what he said, sure he said o2, apologies. I haven't had it since so I'm not worried :-) just thought I'd mention it.
I'll check with him next time I'm over. 

 

I might order an scs connector just in case/out of interest :-) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
ChrisS
On 14/11/2018 at 22:53, Rosewellian said:

Only 2200 miles on the clock and rode bike today for first time in 7 days . EML came on. No effect on performance but I guess it’s a trip to dealer for investigation hopefully under warranty?

I has mine come on once after about 1,500 miles, called Honda Assist, they came after 1 hour, could find nothing wrong. Started the bike up, nothing since...

 

Very strange🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Spindizzy
57 minutes ago, ChrisS said:

I has mine come on once after about 1,500 miles, called Honda Assist, they came after 1 hour, could find nothing wrong. Started the bike up, nothing since...

 

Very strange🤔

 

Happened on my X once. Turned it off and on, sorted.

 

Even multi million pound aeroplanes I work on do it. Everyone gets in a tiz, turn it off and on, sorted. (When on the ground:ahappy:)

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
ChrisS

Glad you said “on the ground”😳🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Andy m

Ah, the IT solution. 

 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Spindizzy
5 minutes ago, Andy m said:

Ah, the IT solution. 

 

Andy

Usually that or remove the 'stick seat interface' that caused the fault.    (The fleshy part)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
sid

Oddly enough......

 

Mine came on today.

It's not been used for around 3 weeks. Started her up and the light came on. I had a ride to the local shops anyway (maybe 4 miles), and it stayed on all the way. Grabbed a few bits and went back to the bike. Started up and no light anymore. Did not come back on all the way home. The bike rode completely normally when it was on.

 

I did the battery terminal check and they were fine. Battery is fully charged as well, as when not getting much use I leave it plugged in to a Noco Genius battery minder.

Maybe it's just one of those blips?

Share this post


Link to post
trisaki
22 hours ago, Spindizzy said:

Usually that or remove the 'stick seat interface' that caused the fault.    (The fleshy part)

Either that or the nut behind the handlebars  😂

Share this post


Link to post
embee

MIL function can take various forms. Some faults will be so called "latching" where they are considered significant enough to cause the MIL to remain lit until the fault code is manually cleared, or they can be "non-latching" where the MIL can be extinguished once the system determines that whatever caused it is no longer present, however even non-latching faults may result in the MIL staying on while the engine continues to run, and will only self-reset on a restart. I don't know what the legislative requirements are for bikes under today's regs., most of this sort of stuff is laid down by powers that be.

 

One thing which I know can sometimes cause temporary glitches is when the system uses running parameters as ongoing reference settings, air/fuel settings for starting etc. I've come across even relatively recent vehicles which if started when slightly warm then immediately stopped and left to get fully cold can then prove reluctant to start. I don't know for sure but that sort of thing can be due to insufficient cycles for the system to obtain a valid set of values, and it reverts to a default which may not always be totally appropriate. Once running and having gone through an adequate time it will sort itself out again. 

 

If it sorts itself out when turned off and on again, don't lose any sleep as long as it doesn't become frequent.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
sid

Went out for a blat today and the light did not come on again - don't think I'll lose any sleep over it tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Finlayson99

My old NCX did it twice in the 2 and a bit years I owned it. When it came on I switched the engine off and restarted and it was fine.

Just ignored it.

Nothing ever showed up at service 

It's a Honda after all.

Share this post


Link to post
MikeBike
On 17/11/2018 at 23:24, embee said:

MIL function

Whenever I see MIL I read Mother in Law and this comes to mind...

FreeUnfitItaliangreyhound-small.gif

Need to be of a certain age to understand.. (Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin)

 

  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Andy m

One of the great pub quiz questions of all time: R. I. Perrins' middle name. 

 

Andy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
embee

It was a well known opera written by Gilbert O'Sullivan, wasn't it?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
slowboy
On 16/11/2018 at 19:09, Spindizzy said:

 

Happened on my X once. Turned it off and on, sorted.

 

Even multi million pound aeroplanes I work on do it. Everyone gets in a tiz, turn it off and on, sorted. (When on the ground:ahappy:)

 

 

 

We used to call that a "Ferranti reset" 😎

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Mr Toad
On 11/19/2018 at 18:13, MikeBike said:

Whenever I see MIL I read Mother in Law and this comes to mind...

FreeUnfitItaliangreyhound-small.gif

Need to be of a certain age to understand.. (Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin)

 

 

Super.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
stevede

Occasionally have this issue with our 15 plate bikes, always associated with low battery as our bikes have trackers on them and if not left on Optimate, can flatten the battery over 4 or 5 days. Once the battery has had some charge in, the light goes off when bike switched off and re started

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×