Rocker66

A fast Kymco

Rocker66

How does 0 to 62 mph in 2.9 seconds 0 to 124 in 7.5 seconds and 0 to 155 in 10.9 seconds plus a top speed of 155 mph grab you?

As well as this you can enjoy the sound of of anything from a V Twin to  a Four. There is also the bonus of being able to ignore petrol stations.

If all this appeals to you then maybe the Kymco SuperNex electric sports bike could be the bike for you.

• Like 1

pjm

Will it be like a DCT though?

• Haha 1

wozza

Ah you may be able to avoid the petrol stations, but you won't be able to avoid your nearest electrical socket........ :D

With that performance the rider will probably face an hour, or so recharging the battery every 30 miles........ :D

• Like 1

Gasman
20 minutes ago, pjm said:

Will it be like a DCT though?

I believe it will. I am sure I read you do change gears but there is no clutch lever.

elbee
8 minutes ago, Gasman said:

I believe it will. I am sure I read you do change gears but there is no clutch lever.

Maybe all the "gear-change" lever does is alter the sound generated while temporarily dipping the power so the dope riding it thinks they're changing gear :hmm:

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/275040/kymco-electric-superbike-supernex/

" The team at Kymco wanted to create an electric motorcycle that kept the essence of a motorcycle by adding the elements that make riding so satisfying: the sound of the engine and the engaging gear-change."

• Like 2

Andy m
14 minutes ago, elbee said:

" The team at Kymco wanted to create an electric motorcycle that kept the essence of a motorcycle by adding the elements that make riding so satisfying: the sound of the engine and the engaging gear-change."

My CB100N had to stop every 30 miles and wait for an hour. It had a bodge fix on the sump and clutch cover that made it over heat and use oil like a 2-smoke. I don't recall much satisfaction though. 

Andy

KingJames

I guess they haven't seen the electric Lightning video then.  No gears needed.

• Like 2

pjm

Wouldn’t a gear box be a waste of time with th3 direct power and torque available from an electric motor?

• Like 1

Rocker66

The article I read stated that the reason they had decided to give it a 6 speed box was that other electric bikes loose some acceleration in the mid range and gears would overcome this.

• Like 1

Tonyj

Was looking at the zero in cannons , a Bmw dealers . Was alright but very expensive and the salesman goes and drops the mike .” Of course the battery is the expensive bit and it will need renewing 3to4years but if you buy it on pcp it will be alright “

they are not really geared for it and the battery exchange wasn’t worked out they are banking on chopping whole bike . I know this is only one persons interaction with a salesman but seems a odd way to save the planet . Keeping chucking the bike away,:0)

KingJames

If that is true those batteries are completely over priced. Proper lithium ones are meant to last much longer than that

Edited by KingJames

Hickky

Tony, nice cafe in Cannons though, You can re-fuel very tastefully, enjoy it, but, once you've got the goodness out, throw it away some 24 hours later, bit like a Zero bike then!

Hickky

Is it me or is the dearth of Electric bikes being launched down to the fact that to design and build a new fossil fuelled engine just so expensive that the shed manufacturers feel they can build a cheap to make chassis then buy in an electric motor and last generation batteries, then call it an eco this or green that and hope to get some sales. They are deluded, once one of the Japanese big 4 starts getting serious about electric bikes (if ever) they will fail. Now Tesla are under threat in the car market (my nephew has ordered a Jaguar e pace, but he lives in central London so it sort of makes sense) by the mainstream, anything can happen.

Buy and large, motorcyclists are not the tree hugging, environmental warrior, law abiding citizens that the electric vehicle trend appeals to (although a few will contradict), so will electric bikes form part of mainstream sales?

KingJames

The Zero FXS is the perfect hooligan bike, so it could be.  Range is dire though.  That will come I am sure.

Trev
11 hours ago, Hickky said:

........  so will electric bikes form part of mainstream sales?

Hicky, like it or not, it's not a question of 'will' but 'when', unless of course another fuel source leapfrogs EV in mainstream (car technology) before bikes ditch internal combusion power. The Chinese are well ahead in the  development of EV powered cars and bikes (in terms of volume) than the rest of the world, they just don't need our paltry market at the moment but as most European governments have already outlined timescales of less than ten years for no more internal combustion powered cars, even if that gets watered down or postponed slightly, then our market will become more intersting for them although EU restrictions will probably make it difficult for them to flood the market ...... although not Brexited UK :whistle:

Bikes won't be given a special privilege for long .... if at all.

Hickky

Someone, somewhere will see sense eventually. Electric bikes or cars make such a small marginal difference to so called man made global warming that implication of these German Green party policies will be watered down. Wipe out all animals on the planet and CO2 production will probably half, but will that stop global warming? Probably not as we are still coming out of the last ice age and the planet warms up. Electricity production that is reliable still requires fossil fuels, biomass or splitting atoms, wind, wave cannot provide reliable power for our air conditioning (or heating).

The only carbon free method of powering transport is hydrogen, cracked by power from unreliable generation such as wind. This is because hydrogen can be stored locally, in decent amounts, unlike electricity as batteries require huge amounts of energy and rare earth material that in itself pollutes the planet, otherwise a low and high water resevoir can store some of the wind produced energy, but it's efficiency is questionable.

Will this sensible view be taken note of by politicians? Probably not as the ones who make the scatty policy will normally have finished their career before implementation and they will have a great pension so as not to be affected. The huge global warming industry of so called professors, acedemics who want to get paid by doomsaying, will lose their job if they publish any alternative view other than 'it is all man's fault' which is pure nonsense. Regulating cars and bikes in first world countries cannot possibly make any difference but ease the minds of political classes to say 'at least i've done something' even though it could damage our wealth and well being. Sense is needed!

• Like 1