Roy Atkinson

Bike Sat Nav ?

wendeg
8 hours ago, Mr Toad said:

My understanding is that a route is a plan to get you from A to B using waypoints and it continuously points you at B, if you go off route it will re-calculate. A track is a breadcrumb trail usually of where you, or someone else has been and is made up of track points. You/they go out on a ride and find a really good route so they export it as a track for others to use. If you deviate from the track the satnav doesn't take that into account and recalculate the route to send you to the destination, point B, it tries to send you back to the next track point in the trail of breadcrumbs and put you back on the track at the point you left it.

The way I think about it is:

If you want to get from A to B and you don't mind how you get there or if the route varies then uses a route.

If you need to get through a minefield and someone has sent you a safe route, a track that you must follow or risk getting blown up then you should use a track.

Very much so.

You can also draw a route with 'breadcrumbs' by putting shaping points and making sure to change these to viapoints by ticking 'Alert on arrival'. In this way, if you go off the route between 2 viapoints the device will not take you directly to the final destination but to the next viapoint. You will also have the option to choose any viapoint while on route and the device will calculate fastest/shortest route to that particular viapoint and you can then continue following the route if you wish so. The only downside to this method is that by changing shaping points to viaponts they will then be automatically put in the favourites list.

• Like 1

Mr Toad
6 minutes ago, wendeg said:

Very much so.

You can also draw a route with 'breadcrumbs' by putting shaping points and making sure to change these to viapoints by ticking 'Alert on arrival'. In this way, if you go off the route between 2 viapoints the device will not take you directly to the final destination but to the next viapoint. You will also have the option to choose any viapoint while on route and the device will calculate fastest/shortest route to that particular viapoint and you can then continue following the route if you wish so. The only downside to this method is that by changing shaping points to viaponts they will then be automatically put in the favourites list.

That I didn't really know, I suppose the more you use these facilities the better your understanding. I've shared plenty of my routes online but have never been one for following other people's routes to the letter. I've done a couple hence my understanding above but for the most part when I'm out and about with nowhere particular in mind I don't use the satnav, I wander off and try to use roads I haven't ridden before. Sometimes it's a case of then using the satnav to get me back to somewhere I know or at least point me in the right direction. 

• Like 2

ste7ios

Mason, has it but to describe it a little better, when you’re using a route is like telling the sat nav “guide me to those locations in the order I place them and according to my preferences” and when using a track is like telling it “just play this recording from the starting point to the destination”.

In a more technical way, a route is just a list of the places (waypoints) you want to visit.

The satnav will calculate a route from waypoint to waypoint according to your settings, preferences like route types (fastest, shortest, eco, etc), avoidances (unpaved roads, ferries, etc) and traffic conditions (based on statistics and live data).

A track is list of trackpoints (GPS coordinates) that describes precisely a route from a starting point to a destination. Nothing is calculated, any settings are ignored. It follows blindly the trackpoints.

That is also the reason that a route file can be some bytes and a track some Megabytes...

Every implementation may use different terminology and a little different implementation but this is how it works in general...

Personally I prefer routes because they’re versatile (you can change your mind on the road) and useful if you want to avoid city traffic or other road problems. You may also learn new roads if you want.

If I need to follow a specific route (and have a result similar to a track) I add some extra intermediate waypoints at key locations to force the satnav to guide me from that route.

MyRoute-App Gold also helps to design a route (or a track) compatible with every map out there (because every map has some differences).

• Like 3

embee

Another thing to remember is that Motolegends will do a price-beat of 10% on stuff, INCLUDING Black Friday discounted deals. I've had an email from them stating this specifically. I've had a couple of pricebeat purchases from them, you just need to provide links to the deals you've found and they'll verify and if OK they send you a code or phone no. to call. Worth a try on TomTom if that's what you're after.

https://www.motolegends.com/customer-service/price-beat