Battery - how long did yours last?

pointer2null

pointer2null

-3C here this morning and the bike won't start. Can't bump this one either like the old FZS600.

It's only 4 years old - I'd have though the battery should have lasted a bit better than that?

Questions like that are always driving to wrong conclusions about batteries.

It should be accompanied with information like where you ride, for how long, what are the rider’s habits... etc.

Battery’s lifetime is related with environmental temperatures and usage.

What you can do to get the best from the battery is discussed here a lot of times...

pointer2null

A normal car battery is usually quoted as having a service life of approx 7 years. That assumes normal useage (i.e. trips sufficiently long to recharge it etc). My commute is 15 miles each way on city and dual carriageway. I would have expected a £140 battery to last more than 4 years.

MikeBike

Got fed up with regularly replacing batteries especially in winter. Car and Bike are connected to battery tender every time they go back in the garage so are always topped up. It is noticeable after having been away for a while how much longer the battery takes to be charged. Car gets plugged in via 13pin tow hitch socket, bike via tender lead. My charger of choice is a Bosch C3 and determines if its a bike or car when connected.

• Like 1
KingJames

I commute 3 to 4 times a week, 1 hour rides each way.  Mine doesn't like the cold either and is four years old.  When you switch the bike on, let it warm up by having the ignition and kill switch on for 10 sec before hitting the start button.  Seem to make a difference.

Might go lithium if I need to get a new one although that would also need a new charger.

pointer2null

Think this one has gone high resistance... voltage seems ok (lights bright) but drops to zero when I try and start.

Just got a new one (£100 Halfords) and started ok.

Wedgepilot

I got just over 4 years out of mine, that is with a 60 mile round trip commute.

steelhorseuk

Mine was six years old back in April this year (2018)

It has always been plugged into a Optimate battery conditioner though when parked up at home in the garage.

• Like 1

We can’t compare car & motorcycle batteries. The smaller the battery the more sensitive is...

140£ is too much. You may purchase a cheaper Yuasa, GS, with the same or equivalent code (=same specs).

You may also monitor your battery for some time with a voltmeter and see how your routine is affecting it... You may need a maintainer to get a better lifetime.

Still got the original 2012 battery in it, powers my heated grips and heated jacket too. The bikes been used as a regular commuter, and periods where it's hardly been used for months at a time,  and it's hardly ever seen a smart charger, can't seem to kill this battery ! 

22 minutes ago, nibbler said:

Changed my battery about 6 weeks ago as it was 4 years old and on a couple of occassions it was a bit hesitant starting.

That is exactly what has started happening to me. Turns over ok , but reluctant to start.

Started ok this morning, but the bike was stored in a warm garage over night.

Local Honda dealer has offered to test the battery for me FOC :thumbsup:

Think I will leave it outside tonight and try "warming up the ignition" as suggested by "KingJames".

Battery 4 years old now (34K and regular 85 mile daily commute).

Probably needs a new battery by now 4 years is not too bad TBH.

Cheapest I have seen is £73 delivered (Yausa YZ14s)

Second cheapest £100 Halfords...

pointer2null
1 hour ago, nibbler said:

Changed my battery about 6 weeks ago as it was 4 years old and on a couple of occassions it was a bit hesitant starting.

Same here basically - for the last month or so it hasn't been starting as well and only just about started on cold mornings. Except this morning when it refused point blank to go.

fj_stuart

I seem to have good luck with batteries. My 2006 SV650 still has its original battery (33k miles). I know people like to spend a lot on batteries but my FJ1200 has a £33 Lucas (just a trade name nowadays, I'm sure it came from China) working fine after 4 years/30k miles. Neither bike is used much in winter so maybe that helps.

Had good service from these battery's before, 4 terminals better for connecting accessory's.

MotoBat  MBTZ14S 

or now a Lithium

Motobatt MPLX9U-HP QUADFLEX LifePO4 Pro Lithium 

pointer2null

Interesting that the lithium says do not store above 40C and do not use above 50C... wonder that the temp is above the engine mid summer sat in traffic?

Still - if I don't hear of exploding bikes I might look into it next time.

Derek_Mac
7 hours ago, Steel Horse UK said:

Mine was six years old back in April this year (2018)

It has always been plugged into a Optimate battery conditioner though when parked up at home in the garage.

Same for me. :)

alhendo1

My old Divvy 600 was still on its original battery when I sold it...15 years old...not bad but to be fair it was always hooked up to my Ctek condiitioner in winter...

Looked at lithium batteries today at NEC. I was surprised to learn they have a life of 10 to 12 years! So, 5 kilos lighter as well. What is not to like? Oh yes, the price.

• Like 1
ChrisCB

If you decide to go lithium make sure your charging system is up to scratch, they have an unhealthy habit of self combusting if overcharged! We all know about Honda regulators right? They also don't like extremes of cold or heat. It is important to "wake" the battery on first start by leaving the ignition on 30 seconds or so. Looking at the 2018 on CRF1000 with lithium battery the charging system is different to the early bikes and looks like a smart charging circuit.

Personally I replace batteries at 3 years.

Dunnster

Mine lasted 4 years. Used 5 days a week commuting duties plus weekend escapades. Never attached to a battery tender. My original went around this this time once the temperature dropped 2 years ago  Cold mornings finished it off. 

Edited by Dunnster
DaveM59

I have a theory that unnecessary use of 'battery tenders' reduces the battery life.

I see so many owners going on about Optimates and such, then the same people are replacing their batteries much more often than I do.

My batteries last ages, the last one I bought for the X9 was in 2009 (Westco AGM) which replaced the original from new 2004 Yuasa and is still going and I never use a charger unless I do something silly and flatten it! Not even a few months of no riding requires a charger, just start the bike every 4 or 5 weeks and run it for 10 minutes.

Last winter the Integra stood for 3 months and started fine and in all the time I owned it I never needed to charge it except when I left the ignition turned on overnight after I'd been working on it, but it didn't seem to do any harm.

• Like 1
Roy Atkinson

My battery will not turn bike over if left for 7 days without charge, the lights are on when your trying to start it.

That seems a bad idea to me. Its 1.5 years old but I do have a tracker on it all the time and thats dragging it down.

If I leave the USB socket in the 12v point, it wont start after 3 days. As the voltage has dropped to 11.9 volts.

I`m sure it has been said that the batteries will last longer if kept fully charged. All I do is put it on the Optimate 6 the day before,

I dont like the idea of leaving it on charge all the time. My mate at work leaves his on all the time and he doesn`t use his bike from one year to the next, except.

He will start it run round the block and put it back, once a year. His bike and battery are 8 years old. Im not sure but aren`t the Lithium batteries about £200.

Rocker66
2 minutes ago, Roy Atkinson said:

My battery will not turn bike over if left for 7 days without charge, the lights are on when your trying to start it.

That seems a bad idea to me. Its 1.5 years old but I do have a tracker on it all the time and thats dragging it down.

If I leave the USB socket in the 12v point, it wont start after 3 days. As the voltage has dropped to 11.9 volts.

I`m sure it has been said that the batteries will last longer if kept fully charged. All I do is put it on the Optimate 6 the day before,

I dont like the idea of leaving it on charge all the time. My mate at work leaves his on all the time and he doesn`t use his bike from one year to the next, except.

He will start it run round the block and put it back, once a year. His bike and battery are 8 years old. Im not sure but aren`t the Lithium batteries about £200.

We have been leaving our bikes on the optimate if not using them for a while especially in winter and never had a problem. When we were working we would only use the commuter bikes in the winter and the leisure bikes would remain on the optimate sometimes months with no problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Roy Atkinson said:

I dont like the idea of leaving it on charge all the time.

……. Im not sure but aren`t the Lithium batteries about £200.

If the charger is a decent item, C-tek or Optimate etc, then it should be no problem at all to leave it connected for extended periods. It's probably unnecessary, if the bike is laid up it's worth simply disconnecting the battery to eliminate any quiescent current drain and just put it on charge once every month or so, a few hours should get it back to fully charged.

I got a Shido lithium battery, 4.5Ah LTZ14, offered as a replacement for the Yuasa YTZ14S although it isn't "equivalent" in the true sense.

That was just over £100. https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/248963

The difference in weight is the most remarkable thing, 1kg vs 4kg.

Edited by embee