929bladerunner

Denali aux lights

929bladerunner

Apologies if this has been touched on before but....

I'm considering fitting a pair of Denali D2 or DM lights (or a cheaper option if there are some recommendations) to my 2018 NC750X (LED headlight version).

2 questions please for anybody who has been down this road please.....

1) Would I have to remove much of the bodywork to achieve this or should I be able to just remove the battery cover from the frunk and run wires from there?

2) Where best to tap into a switched 12V supply - I read somewhere that the number plate light is conventional 12V and that I could use that (if I can find and access it)?   

wendeg

Am waiting for a pair of Denali D2 at the moment. I have installed the Honda OEM accessory harness and made an annex to put the terminals behind the battery cover. Will be tapping for a switched live from one of the connectors. As to your questions:

1) You should be able to run wires from the battery forwards towards the lights.

2) With some fiddling and a lot of patience you should be able to tap the number plate light at the rear and pass the wire forwards towards the front of bike and down near the pillion footpeg. From there I was able to run a wire forwards along the frame and in the battery compartment.

• Thanks 1

Deltabi

NC has a wonderful accessory harness on the left side of the frunk. I would use it. If the lights absorb a couple of amperes (like I suppose) then you don't even need a relay: the lights will come on when you turn on the lights and off when you switch it off. If you use that connector remember to install the option relay and fuse.

To mount the lights you'll need some fairings removal, there are a couple of useful videos on the Tube.

• Thanks 1

DervMan

If you have the Honda Accessory Harness the bigger of the three connectors has a high beam triggered live.

• Thanks 1

929bladerunner
1 hour ago, DervMan said:

If you have the Honda Accessory Harness the bigger of the three connectors has a high beam triggered live.

Thank you all for your comments so far. It seems that maybe tracing a 12V supply from the No. plate light could be a PITA and that I should look into the Honda Accessory Harness.

I'm pretty sure my bike doesn't have one as I bought it new a couple of months ago.

Roughly how much are they and how easy to fit....I suppose it requires removal of some panel(s),  or can it be located via the frunk maybe?

Matatpub

Try the rigid IGNITE BIKE KIT 

DervMan
9 hours ago, 929bladerunner said:

Thank you all for your comments so far. It seems that maybe tracing a 12V supply from the No. plate light could be a PITA and that I should look into the Honda Accessory Harness.

I'm pretty sure my bike doesn't have one as I bought it new a couple of months ago.

Roughly how much are they and how easy to fit....I suppose it requires removal of some panel(s),  or can it be located via the frunk maybe?

I fitted it myself, really easy to do as just a case of plugging a connector, relay and fuse in. Time consuming getting the panels off to access the left hand side of the bike. The relay kit and harness was about £35, I didn't buy the 12v socket though as that was another £25. 

• Thanks 1

wendeg
12 hours ago, DervMan said:

I do not think this is true for the post 2016 model. Connector coming from the main harness has only brown and green

Matatpub

I have the fuse and relay spare from my old nc 2016 

wendeg
1 hour ago, DervMan said:

Time consuming getting the panels off to access the left hand side of the bike.

Make an annex harness to put connectors behind battery cover. Hitachi style connectors .110 (two 3pin and one 4 pin) and around 6 lenghts of 15 inches of wire will put the connectors just under the fuse box

DervMan
10 hours ago, wendeg said:

Make an annex harness to put connectors behind battery cover. Hitachi style connectors .110 (two 3pin and one 4 pin) and around 6 lenghts of 15 inches of wire will put the connectors just under the fuse box

The connectors on the standard kit have enough slack to reach the battery compartment, that's where I put mine. You have to take the side panel off to reach the socket which the harness connects to, it's 'stored' in the bottom of the frunk, you unclip it then plug the new harness in. 

10 hours ago, wendeg said:

I do not think this is true for the post 2016 model. Connector coming from the main harness has only brown and green

Ah mine is 2017.

wendeg
2 hours ago, DervMan said:

The connectors on the standard kit have enough slack to reach the battery compartment, that's where I put mine. You have to take the side panel off to reach the socket which the harness connects to, it's 'stored' in the bottom of the frunk, you unclip it then plug the new harness in. 

Ah mine is 2017.

So 2017 have blue wire!? Why 2016 did not?:cry:

hyperbimduke

you can find a switched live in under the fuze box cover to switch a relay, IN used £12 cree leds to compensate for the shokingly crap std headlight, I complained about this with my 2016 X, no suprise my new 2018 S is just as crap, crees ordered...

929bladerunner
15 hours ago, hyperbimduke said:

you can find a switched live in under the fuze box cover to switch a relay, IN used £12 cree leds to compensate for the shokingly crap std headlight, I complained about this with my 2016 X, no suprise my new 2018 S is just as crap, crees ordered...

Interesting Chris. Any way you could show with a photo or description how to identify this switched live please?

I too struggle with the std headlight and I ride lots in the dark this time of year but can't afford/justify paying Honda's prices for a set of aux lights.

929bladerunner

Thanks for trying to share your photo, unfortunately I can't open it :( 

929bladerunner
On 29/11/2018 at 19:44, DervMan said:

I fitted it myself, really easy to do as just a case of plugging a connector, relay and fuse in. Time consuming getting the panels off to access the left hand side of the bike. The relay kit and harness was about £35, I didn't buy the 12v socket though as that was another £25. 

I just bought the sub harness (£15) but not the fuse and relay because the wiring I got with the lights came with fuse and relay. I'm  hoping this will work, any thoughts? 

929bladerunner
Just now, 929bladerunner said:

I just bought the sub harness (£15) but not the fuse and relay because the wiring I got with the lights came with fuse and relay. I'm  hoping this will work, any thoughts? 

Just now, 929bladerunner said:

Basically, I'm hoping to use one of the 3 accessory branches as a switched 12V supply

wind_kind

Did you manage to sort this out in the end. I have a set of Dinalis on the way and would like to get them installed this weekend. I'm pretty sure my bike already has the accessory loom installed because I have a 12v power connection in the frunk and a set of heated grips, so would like to go that route for posting the lights.