makman

Tutoro Chain Oiler

makman

Bought around two weeks ago and finally fitted in the space of 45 minutes.  Simple to fit and it appears to be very simple in principle.

I am going to run it at quite a heavy rate in this very wet weather to keep the chain properly lubed.  Will report back what I feel about the delivery rate and the ease of topping it up etc... comes will a little bag to cover the oiler when you wash the bike with chemicals etc.   And yes, I will turn the cable tie ends around later on when I've got more time!!

y4mmaywfhbKLig0yGGzedHfYmUmgQAaB1vEvkWG_

y4m1qLlHXWA-LQhnUPl7GSuhhEwy3zHyOFPnP6vu

y4mh12HTgyvXCqyzTyzzF0InyBpma2duuOf6dXtm

Lots of slack in the tubing behind the foot hanger.  But not so much slack that it can be caught in the chain.  Should cope with swing arm movements.

y4mxHg7OYZKsSci2VY8GTaFC4mlerG5frX6xRQr7

I used another cable tie to tidy up the bottom loop near the chain, that is shown further up.  Very dirty roads here in London.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

hirsute1956

Seems to sell in 3 versions starting with standard. Which one is this?  Tidy job by the way.

makman

Standard single nozzle version.  I took my time and looked at how other people did theirs.  This seemed to be the best location and solution for me.

hirsute1956

Thanks, just ordered one 

Regards, John

SteveThackery

I fitted the dual nozzle one, which dutifully delivered oil from both nozzles and worked perfectly.

Only one small observation (which has been made many times before): the oil dribbles out under it's own weight (rather than being pumped), so temperature changes alter the delivery rate somewhat.  I found that simply having a "summer" position and a "winter" position on the adjuster was entirely sufficient and no hassle at all.

The idea of using the motion of the bike (tiny up-and-down movements being sufficient) is ingenious, I think, and I admire the ingenuity of the designers.

Steel Horse UK

Nice job Gordon. May I ask a question regarding positioning.  

Where you have sited the oiler. Is it vulnerable to being hampered by a pillions legs or is it comfortably out of the way ?   

MikeBike

An alternative keeping the pipe and bracket hidden. Pipe runs forward behind pillion footrest hanger to a point close to swing arm point and then loops back along swing arm inner side. Note kinked bracket to keep it outside swing arm and but not intrude on pillion foot space.

DSC01629_zps16mbgb5i.jpg

DSC01661_zpsnmfnkxcs.jpg

Edited by MikeBike

makman
16 hours ago, Steel Horse UK said:

Nice job Gordon. May I ask a question regarding positioning.  

Where you have sited the oiler. Is it vulnerable to being hampered by a pillions legs or is it comfortably out of the way ?   

From what I can tell it should be clear of legs and feet.  Some care will need to be taken mounting/dismounting, but that is usually the case anyhow.  I don't take pillions much nowadays as my nieces live to far away and my children don't want to ride.

• Like 1

makman

Chain oiler working nicely in my opinion.  Well lubed chain, no mess on the wheel or rim.  It is flowing at the right rate and all links are getting nicely lubed up on both sides.  Lots of road grit and salt around at the moment, so this flow rate will help clean and protect the chain.  I've got turn and a 1/4 on the dial.

y4mwQ9SphDOHP4YiQPVoLWEGP8TqibMLK64wA8KC

y4mRlZJ7rvX6yE-LCHFjlcUGi-JpcENTNc1U5VB3

Graham NZ

Gordon, are you getting mung-and-drool dripping onto the floor from the front sprocket area?

makman
33 minutes ago, Graham NZ said:

Gordon, are you getting mung-and-drool dripping onto the floor from the front sprocket area?

Nope.  I do clean out the sprocket area every spring though, so I will be able to tell by then!  

• Like 1

Scootabout

FWIW I find that I need to up the flow rate considerably for very wet or muddy conditions, otherwise the nozzle gets blocked.  50-100% more flow is needed, IME. The other thing to note is that there is a small air inlet hole drilled into the plastic cap. That can get blocked by mud, too, so think about which way you point it. 

• Like 1

MikeBike
5 hours ago, Scootabout said:

FWIW I find that I need to up the flow rate considerably for very wet or muddy conditions, otherwise the nozzle gets blocked.  50-100% more flow is needed, IME. The other thing to note is that there is a small air inlet hole drilled into the plastic cap. That can get blocked by mud, too, so think about which way you point it. 

I suppose the delivery nozzle is scraping muck of the sprocket and getting clogged. I have mine in a position which is not officially recommended but which I (and some others on here) find works. It's just above the chain as it enters the rear sprocket and close to the sprocket. Kept just high enough to avoid getting fouled when pushing the bike in reverse.so the oil drips on the centre of the chain as it's going onto the sprocket. Never had a blockage.

• Like 1