arengle

2019 Africa Twin

Rocker66
2 hours ago, Tex said:

Fighting talk! I love it :D 

I would, but I will be watching my lawn grow that weekend.. ;) 

You mean that’s more fun than riding the Bonnie in the Dolomites? If that’s the case I think I will stick to the Crossrunner 😂😂

Tex
8 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

You mean that’s more fun than riding the Bonnie in the Dolomites? If that’s the case I think I will stick to the Crossrunner 😂😂

No, more fun than doing the National Rally! :D 

The Dolomites? Yeah, I could have some of that. :niceone:

• Like 2

Crofty

According to the Honda website. Africa Twins on 0% pcp and finance 

dazznutts

Think there are going to be a lot of bargains due to the 2019 models

Trev
16 hours ago, slowboy said:

No, but you knew that 😂

oh and you seemed to have left this bit out 😉

On 12/1/2018 at 07:21, slowboy said:

........And once you get it off road, it will eat an AT for lunch, because when we fall down, as we will eventually, the CRF is an easy lift back up, the AT is not. Experience shows the CRF 250 Rally has a tendency to sustain less damage when it does as well.

Did you ever find Salisbury Plain by the way 😱

(Yes I said that) 😎

You're welcome to join me on a ride to the Dolomites and back next summer, I'll try not to leave you too far behind😇

Or if you can't spare the time, for a day trip, how about joining me for a National Rally full Gold run 🤔 1st weekend of July.

I left that bit out 'cos:

a] as we all know, it's more about the ability of the rider than the bike :thumbsup:

b] you're right :cry:

I have made it to Salisbury Plain this year but only on the Enfield, road tyres but it was dry so nice little potter on the easy trails, even a CRF would have been ok :whistle:

We did touch on a 'small bike' ride this year, I thought you mentioned the Picos but hey Dolomites, Picos , all the same thing really, when are you thinking of? As I only got to France with my lad this year on the bike then I'm going to get as many 2019 trips as possible actually booked  in so there is less chance of being blown of course by work and other commitments. At the moment I'm aiming for Le Jog, Scotland either mid - April or early May depending on weather and then something later in the year end-September 'ish. 1st July is out as wedding anniversary on the 2nd but National Rally doesn't really look like my kind of thing anyway - too many people, too many miles, too many rules, too lazy :D

• Like 2

Tex

3 hours ago, Trev said:

National Rally doesn't really look like my kind of thing anyway - too many people, too many miles, too many rules, too lazy :D

Yep! My idea of misery that - riding for hours and ending up back home!! ;) 

poldark

My only contribution is to complicate matters further with ........ KTM 790 Adventure (nuff said)

wozza
On 01/12/2018 at 11:57, Tex said:

Closest I ever got to a full touring bike was a K100RS, more of a ‘sports tourer’ really. Bloody good bike (in it’s day). 

Yep they were phenomenally reliable indeed.... Unfortunately I hated mine coz of the vibes. I had the last of the 8 valve K100RS which I purchased the bike from Slocombe's, in London. Shortly after I went to the South of France on the bike with my wife and when we got back I sold it immediately at a great loss. The vibes and the uncomfortable seat were just unbearable. :( 

• Like 1

Mr Toad
On 12/1/2018 at 11:57, Tex said:

Closest I ever got to a full touring bike was a K100RS, more of a ‘sports tourer’ really. Bloody good bike (in it’s day). After breakfast in a Scottish B&B an older lady was putting her suitcase in her car and watched me put an overnight bag in a pannier.

“I never knew BMW made motor bicycles” she said “Oh look! It’s got a little boot for your luggage! And it has one on the other side too. How clever!” :)

The Integra made a great little tourer, but I never really made the most of that side of it. 

I've never owned a K series but used to get them as loan bikes when the R1100 went in for service. They were a lovely bike to ride but it was the boxer engine that did it for me. 

• Like 1

Tex
1 minute ago, Mr Toad said:

They were a lovely bike to ride but it was the boxer engine that did it for me. 

Me too! The K was written off (big time!!) in a SMIDSY in ‘97 but I had already decided it wasn’t going to be a long term partnership. What it was good at, it was VERY good at. But it was a long way short of perfect (isn’t everything?!).

I would love another boxer (NO! Andy. I don’t want a bloody Ural!) but they’re out of my reach now. Not to mention being vastly overqualified for the light use they would get from me. 

lazlo woodbine
40 minutes ago, Tex said:

Me too! The K was written off (big time!!) in a SMIDSY in ‘97 but I had already decided it wasn’t going to be a long term partnership. What it was good at, it was VERY good at. But it was a long way short of perfect (isn’t everything?!).

I would love another boxer (NO! Andy. I don’t want a bloody Ural!) but they’re out of my reach now. Not to mention being vastly overqualified for the light use they would get from me. 

Had a K100RS for a while and it was great at going fast on well surfaced roads but I struggled with the weight on the bumpy country roads around home. The boxers I had were perfect on the same roads and  like Tex I would love another one they are too saucy for my pockets now and too heavy for my aging body(Sigh)

• Like 1

Dave H
14 hours ago, wozza said:

Yep they were phenomenally reliable indeed.... Unfortunately I hated mine coz of the vibes. I had the last of the 8 valve K100RS which I purchased the bike from Slocombe's, in London. Shortly after I went to the South of France on the bike with my wife and when we got back I sold it immediately at a great loss. The vibes and the uncomfortable seat were just unbearable. :( 

I never owned one but rode an unmarked K100RS that had video recording kit in one of the panniers. I wouldn't have thought they would fit that to it if it was vibey. The bike was standard apart from the twos n blues, camera and recorder.  I used it a lot and found it very comfy but can't remember any vibes. I wonder if yours was faulty.

• Like 2

fred_jb
6 hours ago, Tex said:

Can't tempt you with mine then?   I'm still fancying the new RS, but looks like the most I will get for my 2017 GS TE as a trade-in next March when the RS is available is £11k and even that may be a little optimistic, so I may not get permission to change!  An extra year of BMW warranty can be added to the GS for about £500 so I may have to settle for doing that.

Edited by fred_jb
  • Thanks 1

Tex
51 minutes ago, fred_jb said:

Can't tempt you with mine then?   I'm still fancying the new RS, but looks like the most I will get for my 2017 GS TE as a trade-in next March when the RS is available is £11k and even that may be a little optimistic, so I may not get permission to change!  An extra year of BMW warranty can be added to the GS for about £500 so I may have to settle for doing that.

If I could afford one then I can’t imagine finding a better one than yours, Fred. :) I really don’t imagine things will change anytime soon, but feel free to ask again nearer the time.. ;) 

• Like 1

kayz1
2 hours ago, fred_jb said:

So in affect you will be getting 11.5K for the bike if you do not buy the warranty Fred:D

• Like 1

fred_jb
14 minutes ago, kayz1 said:

So in affect you will be getting 11.5K for the bike if you do not buy the warranty Fred:D

Not so sure about that as I would only buy the warranty if I kept the bike, in which case I wouldn't be getting anything for it!  😀 Plus I would be getting a lot less a further year on.

Edited by fred_jb

Mr Toad
2 hours ago, Dave H said:

I never owned one but rode an unmarked K100RS that had video recording kit in one of the panniers. I wouldn't have thought they would fit that to it if it was vibey. The bike was standard apart from the twos n blues, camera and recorder.  I used it a lot and found it very comfy but can't remember any vibes. I wonder if yours was faulty.

Notts rozzers had K75s in full jam sandwich livery, they were loaded down everything they had to carry including the kitchen sink and you still couldn't get away from them. I know one or two idiots that tried on bikes that were a lot more powerful than a stripped down K75 let alone the police version. It's just that they thought they were better riders that they actually were and couldn't believe it when the police riders proved that they weren't! :) 

As for vibrations, none of the K100s I rode suffered from any vibration and my memory is of a comfortable mile muncher that would go on forever but lacked the character of the boxer models. 

• Like 1

Trev
1 minute ago, Mr Toad said:

Notts rozzers had K75s in full jam sandwich livery, they were loaded down everything they had to carry including the kitchen sink and you still couldn't get away from them. I know one or two idiots that tried on bikes that were a lot more powerful than a stripped down K75 let alone the police version. It's just that they thought they were better riders that they actually were and couldn't believe it when the police riders proved that they weren't! :) 

The days of out-running bike mounted police pretty much peaked for me when our local bobbies had CB200's :whistle:

• Haha 1

Mr Toad
6 minutes ago, Trev said:

The days of out-running bike mounted police pretty much peaked for me when our local bobbies had CB200's :whistle:

I once got stoped in my first car, Honda S800 Coupe, by a village rozzer on what I think was a BSA Bantam, it was 1975.

Apparently my brake lights weren't working, they were operated by a hydraulic switch in the brake line and were temperamental.  I told him they were fine and that I was trying to drive and use my brakes as little as possible :) 

He went round the back and told me to press the pedal, the lights duly came on. What he couldn't see was me pressing as hard as possible while hauling on the steering wheel with both hands and a vein in my temple throbbing with the effort. Suspicious as he was he made me turn on my sidelights then do it again, and they came on. He was slightly miffed, had a quick look over the rest of the car then roared off as fast as he could in a cloud of blue smoke. I'm just glad he didn't follow me.................

The only way to fix it was to remove the switch and clean it, I couldn't afford a replacement, then replace it and bleed the brakes. It would then last a month or two before failing again. 

• Haha 3

wozza
On 05/12/2018 at 14:43, Dave H said:

Well mine only had about 5k miles when I sold it if I remember rightly, I purchased it with only about 3k on the clock. If you search K100 vibration problems you will see what I mean. They are very long lasting reliable machines, but it took BMW many years to reduce the vibe problems. I believe some machines were better than others, but there was no doubt that quite a few machines did suffer from the problem.

As far as the seat goes, BMW did sell a comfort seat for the bike which tells you everything really..... :D

Dave H
33 minutes ago, wozza said:

Well mine only had about 5k miles when I sold it if I remember rightly, I purchased it with only about 3k on the clock. If you search K100 vibration problems you will see what I mean. They are very long lasting reliable machines, but it took BMW many years to reduce the vibe problems. I believe some machines were better than others, but there was no doubt that quite a few machines did suffer from the problem.

As far as the seat goes, BMW did sell a comfort seat for the bike which tells you everything really..... :D

The one I rode was a ‘96 so perhaps they fixed it and the seat by then. It was lovely to ride but after a while the more prone position became a pain in the back for me. 

• Like 1