Hiss key battery

Popeye

Hi

My new to me bike arrives today a 2014 nc750s. It wasn’t registered until 2016 but I was wondering does the Hiss key have a replaceable battery? 

I thought is was just a chip inside the key that corresponds to the ECU thingy?!  No battery required for that.

• Like 3
Mr Toad

makman is right.

There is no battery, it's a passive RFID chip, the same sort of thing that they  chip dogs with. When you turn on the ignition the bike reads the chip and compares the security code in the key to the security code in the ECU. If they match the bike will start, if not it won't. 

• Like 1

Could that be used as an anti-hijack measure - keep the chip sown into your glove (with a foil cover if range is too good) and use a dumb key? Idea being the bike wouldn't restart if you were dragged off it.

suffolk58
39 minutes ago, elbee said:

Could that be used as an anti-hijack measure - keep the chip sown into your glove (with a foil cover if range is too good) and use a dumb key? Idea being the bike wouldn't restart if you were dragged off it.

The emphasis there being on "wouldn't restart", not stop.

Last night, rather than take two cars to an event, we went in my wife's car, leaving mine at work.

Later that evening she dropped me back off at my car, and I drove it home.

When I got home I realised I still had her key in my pocket.

She was none the wiser, until she tried to lock the car.

It's a good job she didn't stop for fuel. :)

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, suffolk58 said:

The emphasis there being on "wouldn't restart", not stop.

Yes, I was implying you had time to hit the kill switch (and assuming the RFID doesn't necessarily have to be detected while running?).

• Like 1
MikeBike

In the not too distant future we'll all need to have chip implants like a dog for our 'security' and identification. I read somewhere it was already being proposed for workers in critical security roles..

Personally I'm very happy to have a physical key in the bike. If some scrote wants the bike they don't have to attack me to get/find the key, it's in the bike.

suffolk58

Big Brother is already with us. The work phones we are given have trackers in them. One colleague was asked to explain why he diverted his route between appointments and stopped for a time mid trip.....the explanation: to find a public toilet!

They've got a bit quiet on the inquisitions of late. :)

Rocker66

There are plans to put cameras in the cabs of trains to focus on the drivers eyes despite the fact that test have revealed that they can cause focusing problems and headaches.

Andy m

How can a camera looking at you have any effect?  Next the rumour mill will be saying CCTV steals your soul. If its set up badly it may detect the micro rest periods we all take by looking at the dashboard, but if that triggers it to think you are asleep you change the settings rather than stare ahead like yesterday's kipper to beat the current ones. 

Every truck over 7.5 tons made after the start of this year has a variant of this technology. It works. 

Andy

Rocker66
3 minutes ago, Andy m said:

How can a camera looking at you have any effect?  Next the rumour mill will be saying CCTV steals your soul. If its set up badly it may detect the micro rest periods we all take by looking at the dashboard, but if that triggers it to think you are asleep you change the settings rather than stare ahead like yesterday's kipper to beat the current ones. 

Every truck over 7.5 tons made after the start of this year has a variant of this technology. It works. 

Andy

I can only report what the  test results said.

Mr Toad
32 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

I can only report what the  test results said.

I was thinking the same as Andy. What test results are you talking about?

Thankyou Makman and Mr Toad. No battery required. Love the way it then morphed to a different line I think about keyless stuff. Something I doubt I’ll ever have the money to own😂

MikeBike
10 minutes ago, Popeye said:

Thankyou Makman and Mr Toad. No battery required. Love the way it then morphed to a different line I think about keyless stuff. Something I doubt I’ll ever have the money to own😂

The X-ADV is keyless so I suppose will eventually get introduced across the rest of the NC range.

Rocker66
39 minutes ago, Mr Toad said:

I was thinking the same as Andy. What test results are you talking about?

For one the tram drivers in Croydon and some rail companies have been doing trials. As I said I can only go by the info I have been given regarding those trials.

• Thanks 1
Andy m

The 2016 crash in Croydon must have got TFL looking at every safety system going, but IIRC it was a speed sign too close to the curve? They need to be looking at geofencing and driver adherence to limits rather than driver alertness to help that one. 

Andy

• Like 1
Rocker66
Just now, Andy m said:

The 2016 crash in Croydon must have got TFL looking at every safety system going, but IIRC it was a speed sign too close to the curve? They need to be looking at geofencing and driver adherence to limits rather than driver alertness to help that one. 

Andy

If I remember correctly the driver was reported to have dozed off momentarily.