alhendo1

Kawasaki Z1

Rocker66

Nice article but I wish sometimes they would picture it in the other original colour scheme of yellow and green which I preferred out of the two.

alhendo1
30 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

Nice article but I wish sometimes they would picture it in the other original colour scheme of yellow and green which I preferred out of the two.

Can you tell me how many colours were originally available...was it just two?

Rocker66
3 minutes ago, alhendo1 said:

Can you tell me how many colours were originally available...was it just two?

I don’t know about other markets but those were the only two that came here originally.

• Thanks 1

trisaki

Each year of the Z1 their were 2 colours per year but ----for the first two years colours  were the same but striping was different  ie for Z1 and Z1a for Z1b  2 different colours completely  inc the gorgeous  blue (believe luminous blue ) then 2 different colour schemes for z900 inc yucky brown  then the same with both the round tanked Z1000s 

• Thanks 1

Tex
12 hours ago, Rocker66 said:

Very nice example for sale in the, very rare, colour you like Rock. But it ain’t cheap.. 

https://www.motorcyclesunlimited.co.uk/1973-kawasaki-z1-900-classic-for-sale/

The same dealer has a, more common, brown/orange up at £34k though.. 

Rocker66
27 minutes ago, Tex said:

Very nice example for sale in the, very rare, colour you like Rock. But it ain’t cheap.. 

https://www.motorcyclesunlimited.co.uk/1973-kawasaki-z1-900-classic-for-sale/

The same dealer has a, more common, brown/orange up at £34k though.. 

Lovely bike in the original colours but too expensive for a 3rd bike for me.

• Haha 1

DelBoy

I had a 1974 Z1A (Green with the Yellow stripe).

Sold it about 15 years ago for £2500, was in good condition and pretty original.

Should have kept it, probably worth a lot more now...

Will put a photo up when I find one....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

trisaki

Sold my Z1a in 2009 for £3000 to a mate who totally restored it spending £9000 on it he now knows  that it was money well spent considering what they are going for now 

Edited by trisaki

DelBoy
7 hours ago, trisaki said:

Sold my Z1a in 2009 for £3000 to a mate who totally restored it spending £9000 on it he now knows  that it was money well spent considering what they are going for now 

:blink:

Perhaps we should book ourselves in for an evening class in Hindsight....:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

pjm

Bit like nostalgia. It’s not what it used to be. 🤓🤓

• Haha 3

kayz1
On 12/5/2018 at 19:05, alhendo1 said:

My Rickman version is the Gelp und Grun when i get a motor bottom case to fit to the rest of the engine....Ow! and the little problem of getting into the pit again to find all the bits..Ow! and get the carbs refurbed..not much to do then.:dielaugh:

Ow! and i must get the Scott running this coming year. Tex...i think.  Next please.

Edited by kayz1
  • Haha 1

Andy m

Definately get the Scott going. 

A mate of my Grandads once took a huge interest in my MZ. Sent the old boy, who was pushing 90, up the street on it. He was a bit emotional when he came back but too wobbly to go further so we called it a day. When we next met he told me he'd toured through Germany before the war on a Scott Flying Squirrel and thought the Zed was a "Rocket ship". 

Andy

Tex

One of the Scotts (maybe even all of them?) had big end rollers you could change at the roadside. A little ‘hatch’ on the crankcase exposed the big end and you could push the rollers out (and new ones in) with your fingers. I really don’t know whether to class it as brilliant or shoddy design. Depends how often you have to do it I suppose.. ;) 

kayz1

I no the last time i had it running i took it on private land to get it sorted and warm, i remember thinking how dam fast it was for such an old machine.:oldfart: could have gone a lot faster but for me having to think about gear changes and do i use the left or right foot:muttley:

PS: if anybody no's of anybody with a Z1 bottom engine case for my Z would help me get it back to how it should be.

Edited by kayz1

Mr Toad

I remember when the Z1 was launched. A lad I was at school with decided he had to have one and as he'd gone down the pit all he had to do was put in a few overtime and Sunday shifts and he was able to walk into the dealers and drop cash on the counter.

We were so jealous as we were still riding our 250s and 350s at the time, I was on my RD350. We all had a go on it and life was never the same again. 

• Like 2

larryblag
On 27/12/2018 at 23:03, Tex said:

One of the Scotts (maybe even all of them?) had big end rollers you could change at the roadside. A little ‘hatch’ on the crankcase exposed the big end and you could push the rollers out (and new ones in) with your fingers. I really don’t know whether to class it as brilliant or shoddy design. Depends how often you have to do it I suppose.. ;) 

Reminds me of the first front wheel drive Cavaliers (and the Astra). Clutch plate changing was a doddle. Undo the inspection cover. Fit three clips to the pressure plate/driven plate sandwich and withdraw the drive shaft. Whole clutch drops out into your hand. Refitting is a simple reverse of this. New clutch and done in about half an hour :thumbsup:

• Like 1

kayz1

Triumph Toledo was even easier, Cover off from inside the car on a cold day it was magic..undo the plastic bolt from the input shaft ( if it would come out with out snapping )

Remove a big washer, insert bolt or the factory tool if you had it, pull out shaft undo pressure plate bolts x 6 lift out clutch..

DelBoy

My old Z1 as promised