larryblag

SS50

kayz1
1 hour ago, larryblag said:

Not sure about that side-mounted shock there tbough. It'll get a bit to warm for consistent damping. 

and you hit a big pothole and the bracket brakes and sticks in your leg:D

• Haha 1

Hickky

Ted, my CX500 with 85,000 had no piston slap I could hear. Mind you the tappets were so noisy you'd never hear piston slap. But nearly indestructible after they fitted a new engine under warranty when the cam chain failed at 6000 miles. Apparently the comstar wheels tend to come apart after about 8 years, but I'd sold it to some sucker in Scotland by that time.

larryblag
On 07/12/2018 at 09:32, Mr Toad said:

I can't say that I agree with that, I think it looks a lot like the original but brought right up to date, the frame is the same type and shape as is the engine. Even the exhaust is  a modern version and at the same level. 

ss50.jpeg.b41367cabebae120fe7d5f7f4692637e.jpeg

I had exactly that model too. 4 speed. The 5 speed had higher bars. The rather over-length throttle slide on mine was dealt with by hacksaw. This allowed the needle to rise much further out of the main jet. The result as the throttle was rotated - much more induction noise but that's all. 

Like this, "Mmmm - WAHHH!" 

• Like 2

Grumpy Meltdown

I started my journey on a orange 4 speed which I borrowed from a mate on a regular basis.

Mum and dad didn’t want me on a bike, so I used to ride it home and hide it in the utility room of the flats a few doors down, till they found out.

Being grounded sucks. 

It took a while to convince them, but eventually I was the proud owner of a lime green 5 speed.

Fond memories of terrorising the local bobbies with all my mates on fizzes and AP50’s.

One particular weekend, it went all the way to Bournemouth, two up, with ‘that’ bird on the back.

We got there very late, bloody freezing, eventually finding a crappy hotel. Don’t know what they thought but remember they made us pay up front. 😳

It eventually went bang in spectacular fashion some time later.

Seized it trying to keep up with the boys. 

One final thought... rubber mounted handlebars, why?? 😄

listener
1 hour ago, Grumpy Meltdown said:

It eventually went bang in spectacular fashion some time later.

Seized it trying to keep up with the boys.

The bike or the "bird"?! :devil::angel:

• Haha 1

Grumpy Meltdown

😂 Both, but not at the same time. 

• Haha 1

Andy m

If I ignore the silly front tyre I like that one. 

Andy

• Like 1

Southerner

SS50, my introduction to motorcycling as well. Mine was blue and I bought it from a mate who worked in Pizza Express in Streatham, south London, back in 1977.