Sign in to follow this  
pjm

Forza 300 or Piaggio BV350

pjm

I have whittled down my choice to the Forza 300 or the Beverly. Forza was very nice but is 22kgs heavier than the Beverly. I am yet to find a demo of the Beverly to have a test. However I have sat on it for some time and can live with the leg position. Price is very similar. Personally I like the look of the Beverly as it is a halfway house between classic design with modern tech. The seating position is slightly more comfortable for my hip than the Forza and it is easier to flat foot. The weight is another factor that is swaying me. Having read comments on here and around the net it seems a reliable machine with good performance. I see it as a long term keeper that would compliment a motorcycle should I get back to being able to ride one. It has enough performance that I could feel confident in attending our meetings without fear of having to go on faster roads or motorways and not getting stuck in the slow lane, i have viewed a few videos of servicing and it’s all pretty straightforward and that includes belt changes etc. Might buy one blind as I am sure it will do what I am looking for. If anyone fancies the Tricity for what I paid for it let me know £2600. Now with heated grips.

• Like 3

Tex

I have always liked (and wanted!) the BV350. Rome is awash with the things (second only to the SH series) which tends to confirm how good they are - in such a huge scooter community word would soon get round..

Have you tried In Moto? I was very impressed with how helpful they were, but that was many moons ago! ;) 

https://www.inmoto.com/

I think the important thing to remember is you won’t be disappointed with either the Honda or the Piaggio. Both are brilliant, both will suit your needs perfectly you, quite literally, can’t make a bad choice.

Being a Honda forum I would imagine the Forza will get a lot of support, so I am going to vote ‘Go Italian’! What are your dealers like? Which do you think will give the best service? Could be a deciding factor on it’s own. 

• Like 2

Tex

Further to the above - I should point out that I haven’t actually ridden either of the above machines and my views were formed from the comfort of an armchair. :D As such, my advice is worth every penny that I haven’t charged you.. :) 

DaveM59

I have ridden both and would recommend the Forza.

The Beverley has a fluid clutch, not part of the motor but in a sealed unit in the rear hub and it is super smooth but a bit all or nothing.

It's an over egged solution to a juddering clutch problem that doesn't exist very often on CVT's.

Initial performance is good but it flattens off quite noticeably above 55mph leaving the bike feeling rather dull and the swivelling dash and screen feels very moped like. The bigger wheels don't make any difference to the handling or ride really. It has no bells and whistles comparably and not as much storage as the Forza.

The Forza romps up to 80mph and has much more top end poke.

The Forza looks better, has lots of gadgets looks more of a maxi scooter and apart from the headlights has no real weaknesses. Maintenance access is great and everything is well screwed together.

Either would do the job and the BV probably easier to manhandle but the Forza is hardly a heavy beast. Depends really whether you want a 'scooter' or a 'moped' in the eyes of an uneducated observer.

Edited by DaveM59
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

pjm

Thanks for you input Dave. Your findings of the Beverly seem contrary to what I have seen elsewhere. It has 33bhp so 6 bhp more power than the new 2018 Forza and weighs 6kgs less. I am confused as to why it would be less powerful. Inmoto are quite close but don't have a demo in the winter. I did enjoy the Forza.

Tex

1 hour ago, DaveM59 said:

The Forza looks better, has lots of gadgets looks more of a maxi scooter and apart from the headlights has no real weaknesses.

I certainly wouldn’t want to argue scooters with you Dave (you’re my ‘go to’ expert on those) but the above sentence highlights the problem for me. To me, the more ‘maxi’ you put into a scooter the less ‘scooter’ remains. I actually regard the maxi scoot as an ‘advanced motorcycle’, which is great for doing some touring or whatever but (in my experience) is less great in traffic. Try keeping up with a Vespa as it worms it’s way to the front of the queue for the lights!

I see a ‘scooter’ as being a step through design with a ‘seated at the dinner table’ riding position. Vespa, SH300 etc and a perfect companion to a ‘proper’ motorcycle.

The maxi scoot (advanced motorcycle) is something to replace a bike. Speaking personally if I bought a Forza I would, possibly, never want to ride the Bonnie again. If I bought a Vespa I would  be able use each for what they’re best at. 

• Like 4

Exceledsteve

Some good stuff here from you guys as usual. I think the Beverly is somewhere between the Forza and SH300i/Vespa GTS for seating position and tight traffic munching ability. The Forza being more maxi scoot in style as you've said and probably the better of the current crop as an only bike. I loved my Beverly and, as I've said recently, am seriously thinking of getting another. I had an older model Forza 300 recently for a couple of weeks and I preferred the Beverly hands down to that but the new Forza is more modern and looks better in pretty much every way than the old one. I've not ridden one but I've ridden the SH300i which I believe is the same engine and it was a corker. The SH300i was the best 2 wheeler for tight traffic munching I've ever experienced.

We're spoiled for choice at the moment. These are all great bikes and different enough from each other to stand apart from each other depending on circumstances/use. For me it goes like this:

Only bike/longer distance/commuting... New Forza 300

Style conscious/oomph/commuting... Beverly 350ST

Style conscious/commuting... Vespa GTS 300 Super

Traffic munching/commuting... SH300i

These are also in order by the prices I've seen them going for recently... High to low. You can of course go any distance you want on all of these with no worries, just at different levels of comfort. Happy days choosing again Peter! (Makes me happy just thinking about them anyway).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

macamx

I was having the same deliberations recently and whilst visiting the showroom with my son I tried the Sh for size,  much to his amusement he said I looked like the "happy shopper" remember that !

Geoff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

PoppetM

I keep longing for a Vespa again after seeing them nip through gaps I couldn’t fit through in today’s Monsoon. Must resist...must resist....

I think Beverley would suit your hip position better than the Forza. And don’t give two figs what others think at meets, it is 2 wheels and an engine...who gives s fig if it is a CvT or a manual. 

• Like 3

Spindizzy
17 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

I keep longing for a Vespa again after seeing them nip through gaps I couldn’t fit through in today’s Monsoon. Must resist...must resist....

I think Beverley would suit your hip position better than the Forza. And don’t give two figs what others think at meets, it is 2 wheels and an engine...who gives s fig if it is a CvT or a manual. 

I can so see you on a GT300. Its going to happen....

I would have one but love Piglet too much, would lose the NC if I ever got a bigger scooter.

Sat on an XMAX, too cramped.

Edited by Spindizzy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

alhendo1
29 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

And don’t give two figs what others think at meets, it is 2 wheels and an engine...who gives s fig if it is a CvT or a manual. 

Couldn't agree more👍

• Like 2

Tex
1 hour ago, Spindizzy said:

Agreed. Only downside right now is the theft problem in London. Hopefully things will improve as not only are the police finally reacting, but the 2019 models onwards are supposed to have trackers and better security. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

kayz1

***supposed to have trackers***

no what you mean Tex, but when i asked why my 2019 model new Forza did not have the free tracker

i was told: Participating dealers only:::what ever that means. So i complained to Honda UK that some people

were in affect either getting a discount or being subsidized by my  having to pay full wack..Two weeks and No reply

yet..i am not at all surprised by not getting a reply as i find in the last three years Honda UK's response to complaints 

to be abysmal.. I rely should vote with my wallet but i like the bike.

Lyn.

• Sad 1

Tex

Lyn, my dealer is obviously one of the ‘participating’ (simply means they joined in the program) ones. The tracking device is supplied by Honda and fitted free by the dealer. There’s a monthly payment to run the device (about £10 I think). I don’t see why they can’t ‘retro fit’ one for you, but I also can’t see why only some dealers offer the service. :( 

PoppetM
10 hours ago, Spindizzy said:

Yep...probably after I stop commuting into London...but then if I stop commuting I will want a different style of bike....there will be hard decisions made!

Trying to persaude Mr that he needs to sell his car and let me have the garage space....then I can havr NC, Bonneville or Bobber and a Vespa... 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Tex
3 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

Yep...probably after I stop commuting into London...but then if I stop commuting I will want a different style of bike....there will be hard decisions made!

Trying to persaude Mr that he needs to sell his car and let me have the garage space....then I can havr NC, Bonneville or Bobber and a Vespa... 

:niceone: 

• Like 1

DaveM59

The definition of a scooter nearly always produces widely differing opinions relating to CVT, step thru, pushbike braking levers, 2 stroke, small wheels etc.
Basically I tend to consider Vespa/Lambretta types as trad scooters and X9/Burgman/Forza etc as maxi scooters.

The Integra is an anomaly falling into neither ballpark and is truly a hybrid but definitely more of a dressed up motorcycle.

• Like 4

Rocker66
32 minutes ago, DaveM59 said:

The definition of a scooter nearly always produces widely differing opinions relating to CVT, step thru, pushbike braking levers, 2 stroke, small wheels etc.
Basically I tend to consider Vespa/Lambretta types as trad scooters and X9/Burgman/Forza etc as maxi scooters.

The Integra is an anomaly falling into neither ballpark and is truly a hybrid but definitely more of a dressed up motorcycle.

I 100%  agree with your definitions.

• Like 1

Croydonscooter
15 hours ago, DaveM59 said:

Good descriptions there Dave.  I still regard the Yamaha T max as the ultimate maxi CVT scooter.  Yet far too expensive for me to justify one and uneconomical on fuel etc.  Not too mention risk of theft.  They don't make practical sense yet still in my head they are the a top end well designed scooter.  How did you find owning a tmax when compared to your new forza 300? 

I looked at pictures of the Beverly prior to my purchase of my new forza 300.  It was recommended by a mechanic at kawasaki South London.  But if I were looking for a traditional step through then I would go for the sh300.  Only because I know Honda are so reliable and well made and quite easy to sell in the future.  I think the build quality of piaggio looks very good though. Personally I like the look of the x10 Italian styling is often quite black or grey but I like that.  It's difficult to sum up all these things with clarity.  

Anyway I'm still enjoying my new black bullet scooter aka forza 300.  So quiet and smooth and gives me confidence in filtering. With the integra I often had to consider the gear I was in as the dct is fantastic but not as good as a human gear selection.   CVT is the best for commuting in the case of extra urban commutes in my opinion.  

So many choices and factors to consider in the world of motorcycles which is what makes it all interesting! 

Mister Paul

FWIW I found distance riding much more comfortable on my Sh300i than the Forza I had previously. I didn't expect it to be so but on the Forza I found myself regularly uncomfortable and having to find a new foot position. I didn't even notice any discomfort on the SH, even on my 3 day trip from Bristol to France. 

• Like 2

pjm

Is that the flat footrest area with no tunnel making the difference? Perhaps I should try the SH300 before I make my decision 

• Like 2

Tex
20 minutes ago, pjm said:

Is that the flat footrest area with no tunnel making the difference? Perhaps I should try the SH300 before I make my decision 

Yes!! 

https://scooterlab.uk/2016-honda-sh300i-review-road-test/

Edited by Tex

Mister Paul
49 minutes ago, pjm said:

I don't really know what it is. I just know that my legs didn't complain on the SH. Feet-forward on the Forza did put more weight on my butt, so that might have something to do with it. 

In the summer on the SH sometimes I would slide my feet forwards and poking my toes out the side of the leg shield. 

KingJames

I looked at the Beverly before settling on the NC.  It looked good on paper, bigger in the flesh (in moto) had one in at the time, didn't take it out as realised then it wasn't the super nippy 3*0 scooter I was considering for the commute.  The current SH 300 wasn't on sale then and I was ignoring 125s for a number of reasons.  It looks like you are now spoilt for choice in this area.  I would still worry slightly about road presence on something that small but I guess you change your style to compensate and would soak up the benefits of getting through smaller gaps.

Have you looked at this at all, seems to be very similar to the SH - http://www.kymco.co.uk/kymco/new/bikes/scooters/2018kympeoplegt300iabs.htm#.XAz_rROTJBw

Ciaran1602

That Kymco is worth a look. Kawasaki wouldn't rebadge a Kymco to make the J300 if it was garbage! Although, I believe the service intervals were tiny.