Ciaran1602

Help! Stop the rust

PoppetM

Another one for ACF50.... I couldn’t wash the bike last weekend so caught train, she is getting a coating this weekend. Amazing stuff. 

And Ciaron, get an S 😀 you are a fraction taller then me so will have no trouble flat footing it and it will be more fun then the maxi scoot!

Has a slightly different feel then the X, Spindizzy can compare them having grime from X to S and being tall so it wasn’t the size that was the issue.

• Thanks 1

Spindizzy

Well today I cleaned the NC and used the Italian cleanup method of drying out on the local dual carriageway. Then  got stuck in with the ACF50. After some caution I realised you can just blat this stuff on and it sort of coats everything anyway and you just wipe up any excess that pools. Kept it away from tyres, brakes & seat but pretty much coated everything else. Once the rag gets saturated you can jut use it like a wet wipe over everything.

I had some very fine perspex finishing compound which I used on the upper fescalised portion of the forks where there were early signs of minute corrosion spots, very minor but gently polished off and then drowned in ACF.

I did spot one thing that I didnt like. After the ding I had recently where the main dealer did the replacement of the front mudguard, there was a rubber flat washer missing. Will find something that will do or order one. Also the numpties had cross threaded the lower bolt in to the lower fork. On removal I saw the rubber grommet had not been put in right and probably the half wit used a wrench and brace just drove it in wonky because of the misaligned grommet. I was able to reset the grommet and gently get the bolt in straight. It has nipped up albeit lost a couple of threads of the alloy. Worst case a nut and bolt could be used or just helicoil it. Its ok really provided I don't plan to change mudguard often. Lubed the chain and put it to bed.

(BTW the dealer no longer exists and seriously CBA to pursue through Honda and would just be a pissing contest anyway, its tight)

Edited by Spindizzy
  • Like 2

elbee
18 hours ago, PoppetM said:

Another one for ACF50....

+1

As well as ACF50, I'm currently using a trade size spray can of "Double TT" which was incredibly cheap so I liberally dose the rear suspension at regular intervals.

Probably wasting my money on both as I rarely get caught out in the rain and can clean the bike soon after anyway. 

Tex
2 hours ago, Spindizzy said:

Well today I cleaned the NC and used the Italian cleanup method of drying out on the local dual carriageway.

I took a little ride out on Percy today, too. If there was any nervousness about his forthcoming open heart surgery it never showed and he coped much better with the cold than I did. :D 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Spindizzy
1 hour ago, elbee said:

+1

As well as ACF50, I'm currently using a trade size spray can of "Double TT" which was incredibly cheap so I liberally dose the rear suspension at regular intervals.

Probably wasting my money on both as I rarely get caught out in the rain and can clean the bike soon after anyway. 

Looks rather like WD40 albeit in a slightly gel like formula. If its cheap and it works....all good.

Andy m
39 minutes ago, Tex said:

I took a little ride out on Percy today, too.

You coffin dodgers just go out and enjoy yourselves. I'm happy running about in the repmobile, paying tax and keeping the countrys transport network running. I'm not at all jealous.

Andy

• Haha 5

outrunner
2 hours ago, Andy m said:

You coffin dodgers just go out and enjoy yourselves. I'm happy running about in the repmobile, paying tax and keeping the countrys transport network running. I'm not at all jealous.

Andy

Keep it up Andy, us old coffin dodgers need the likes of you to keep paying us the pension. :D

Andy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Ciaran1602

Further to this it’s deteriorated somewhat compared to what it was but I have no idea how bad it is?

I know decent anti corrosive stuff will help it in future but I want to try and clear this up if I can. 

4FDD5C25-744D-473F-ABF4-97CB5EA1F27B.jpeg

723A2265-9B01-4215-9C25-D49F36C7D435.jpeg

Andy m

The ring at the top is more from the yoke than the fork stanchion . The rest is away from the seals so won't do anything mechanically that bad for years. 

I think the lot will come off with the fine wet and dry, Mr. Shean etc. and then needs protecting. 

This is going to be the sort of job you can do with tea and the test match if you can support the front of the bike and either remove the forks from the yoke or at least move them in the yokes for access. When reassembling, if the forks ended up a mm higher it'll look a whole lot neater  

When was the fork oil* last changed? Could be a two for one sort of job as it wants doing every 2-5 years and needs the forks out of the yoke. Chance to go for heavier oil too if you are a lithe sort of chap and want more sporty handling. 

*like fork handles care is required while shopping or you may come away with nothing. 

Andy

• Like 1

djsb

Try Autosol or One Grand metal polish or get them re chromed at Philpots in Luton if they are awful. Probably won’t have to worry about them again but will cost £185 stripped or £285 built.