DaveM59

ADV Recall

DaveM59

It has been discovered that riding slowly causes ECU overheat and failure to shift or select gears.

The recall is on Rapex.....

Alert number: A12/1870/18       

Category:  Motor vehicles

Product:  Motorcycle

Brand: Honda

Name: ADV750

Type / number of model:  EC-type approval number: e4*168/2013*00060*00, e4*168/2013*00060*01, e4*168/2013*00074*00; Model year: 2017 - 2018.

Batch number / Barcode:  Production period: between 26/01/2017 and 04/10/2018;

Risk type:  Injuries

When the motorcycle is continuously ridden at low speed, the heat generated affects the PPTC (polymer positive temperature coefficient) device of the ECU and the motor cycle may enter into fail safe mode.

This makes it impossible to shift gear and the driving force may be lost and it will not be possible to continue riding.

Measures taken by economic operators: Recall of the product from end users (By: Importer)

• Like 2
  • Sigh 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

horobags

thats very 'un honda'. .

• Like 1

kayz1

Does not show against my VIN: on the Honda site. Says no recalls, see your Honda dealer if you have a question.

Lyn.

• Thanks 1

Andy m
7 hours ago, DaveM59 said:

Heat.. generated affects the PPTC (polymer positive temperature coefficient).. 

This is b***** speak. In English we say " plastic melts" 

Someone made a stuff up in a bead melt and mix, but I think the new letter opener and saki should be going to whoever wrote the recall notice. Make the knife the polymer material, reduced initial outlay design (like you get on the motorway services) and the saki can come in a polymer beverage retention container( as previously used in BR vending  machines) . 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Southerner

Has anyone's ADV been affected by this recall? I thought that this thread may have been a bit busier.

DaveM59

Could be bikes not in the UK, the recall doesn't distinguish this. The original issue was submitted by Portugal but to date only Croatia, Estonia, Germany, Poland, The Netherlands have acted on it. 

I can understand an overheating issue being detected in Portugal but if it is also showing in Netherlands and Germany then possibly the UK might also have the symptoms but to make the notification there has to be a certain threshold percentage of items reporting the issue, maybe the low sales figures is keeping the UK under the radar.

With the hot summer we have had if no-one had a problem, then possibly it was a batch of dud items confined to Portugal.

Edited by DaveM59

Chris750

Easy to check yours on Honda UK web site, just enter your VIN in the recall section.

Exceledsteve
On ‎26‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 20:53, Southerner said:

Has anyone's ADV been affected by this recall? I thought that this thread may have been a bit busier.

No recall on mine John. The closest I've heard to any kind of recall was an update to the owners manual shortly after I bought it. Nothing since.

Southerner
1 minute ago, Exceledsteve said:

No recall on mine John. The closest I've heard to any kind of recall was an update to the owners manual shortly after I bought it. Nothing since.

Thanks Steve, I think it depended on the date of manufacture so yours must be ok.

larryblag

The USA designed - Chinese built UPS's we use on the trains are definitely built to a price. Caps and semiconductors chosen with only a 10% margin for WV, temp, power etc. Not really good enough for the environment they work in

poldark

UK have now started contacting owners for recall work (3 hours)

kayz1

Just put my VIN : into the Honda site and got this::

According to our records, there is some outstanding work to be carried out:

Recall: ecu failure xadv

Please contact your local authorised Honda dealer and arrange an appointment to have your motorcycle repaired free of charge.

Lyn.

• Sad 1

embee
1 minute ago, kayz1 said:

Recall: ecu failure xadv

Lyn.

Doomed, doomed I tell you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

• Haha 2

Andy m

OMG, computers worst nightmare, bet it's seen a TWO 😨😨😨

Andy

• Haha 3

kayz1

Just back from dealers, booked in for next Thursday 0900hrs.

Parts required are.  New type speed sensor.

Modified wiring loom speed sensor to ECU.

New ECU is not required as the modified loom bit of the kit removes the  built-in thermal cut out from the ECU.

New cut out is in the loom.

Three hour job to the dealer as all body work to be removed, plus fuel tank...

I have the PDF if any body wants to see it, can not do pics with my slowwwwwwww interweb but email some times works.

My interweb is off and on again today, tis 24 pages 1.4meg very interesting it is too.

Lyn.

PS: i may go back to an Integra:muttley:

Edited by kayz1

hirsute1956
1 hour ago, kayz1 said:

Just back from dealers, booked in for next Thursday 0900hrs.

Parts required are.  New type speed sensor.

Modified wiring loom speed sensor to ECU.

New ECU is not required as the modified loom bit of the kit removes the  built-in thermal cut out from the ECU.

New cut out is in the loom.

Three hour job to the dealer as all body work to be removed, plus fuel tank...

I have the PDF if any body wants to see it, can not do pics with my slowwwwwwww interweb but email some times works.

My interweb is off and on again today, tis 24 pages 1.4meg very interesting it is too.

Lyn.

PS: i may go back to an Integra:muttley:

Just spent the day at Colwyn Bay for service and to fit DRLs. Thought I saw your adv there today?

kayz1

Not mine John, i was astride my winter wheels....Forza300, heated gloves by Gerbing: leccy screen on full height: and some fancy hand wind deflectors my mate bought me..

Next Thursday i will be getting it done,,,,if the parts arrive.

Lyn. New year greetings BTW.

Steve1960

I got the phone call yesterday from my dealer(Wheels Peterborough)about 3 hours to do the job,i asked if it could wait till my annual service which would be sometime in March,the service manager said he would prefer to get it done sooner.

Steve