Mikdent

My first RC truck.

Mr Toad
On 12/15/2018 at 20:06, baben said:

There's a Scalextric club started up in our village - keep meaning to have a look see. Had some fun back in the day with tuned up kits.

Don't do it!

I have a load of Scalextric  that I had as a child, during the long hot summer we had in 2013, when I first retired, a mate and me set a track up in the garden and got it running, this led to some fleabay purchases of track, cars and other bits which in turn led to a toy and games fair which ended up with me buying one of the newer digital systems, multiple cars on the track with lane changers for overtaking. Then there were beer, curry and racing evenings..................................

Step away from the rabbit hole while you still can.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Grumpy Meltdown
20 minutes ago, Mr Toad said:

Jerry you swine, now I want one of those defenders! :) 

Snap!

The first thing I did after watching that vid, was google RC Land Rover.

£500 !!

If it can smoke the tyres I might be tempted. 🤔🙂

• Haha 2

Mikdent
4 hours ago, Mr Toad said:

Jerry you swine, now I want one of those defenders! :) 

Yeah me too but at £500 with no batteries or charger it’s a tad expensive. 2 batts and a charger is another £200! 

I’m researching cheaper alternatives. 

Still, cheaper hobby than bikes. ;)

• Like 3

Mike190282
On 15/12/2018 at 15:15, Mikdent said:

1/10 scale Tex.

Dont think I'll be joining a club, there's a race track and crawler course not far from where I work so I'll probably go there to start with.

My real attraction is rock crawlers but I also wanted something to hoon about with, the slash was the cheapest out of the two and when my wife and son said they'd go halves I chose the cheaper one for them to get me. 

Whatever the model, be it a car, plane, helicopter or whatever, the most important point for me is that is as realistic as possible. 

Ive not long got back from gravel car park and woods, I spent more time cleaning and WD40'ing it than I did driving it. :dielaugh:

If want to race the Short Course then have a look for Sevenoaks RC club.  https://www.facebook.com/SevenoaksModelCarClub/

They have a shortcourse Class and race on Friday evenings.

• Thanks 1

larryblag
On 15/12/2018 at 15:15, Mikdent said:

1/10 scale Tex.

Dont think I'll be joining a club, there's a race track and crawler course not far from where I work so I'll probably go there to start with.

My real attraction is rock crawlers but I also wanted something to hoon about with, the slash was the cheapest out of the two and when my wife and son said they'd go halves I chose the cheaper one for them to get me. 

Whatever the model, be it a car, plane, helicopter or whatever, the most important point for me is that is as realistic as possible. 

Ive not long got back from gravel car park and woods, I spent more time cleaning and WD40'ing it than I did driving it. :dielaugh:

I had the Tamiya Toyota rock crawler. Loved it. I put weights in the tyres which made all the difference allowing them to deform over obstacles. I was fascinated by the slow scale-like speed which I also found really therapeutic. I used to take it into the car park during my breaks at the signal box. 

Enjoy it Jerry :thumbsup:

• Like 2

PoppetM

Once loft is done, he can have his layout and I will have scaletrix running about....

• Like 2

pjm

I am so jealous. Instead of looking at lovely toys I am researching an exercise bike to help sorting my hip out. Mind you once it’s done, one way or the other, a shiny new bike will be back on the agenda. Loving the Thruxton R in Green. Pipe dream maybe. How good is the Scaletrix digital by the way?

• Like 2

Dave H
On 17/12/2018 at 09:30, Grumpy Meltdown said:

Snap!

The first thing I did after watching that vid, was google RC Land Rover.

£500 !!

If it can smoke the tyres I might be tempted. 🤔🙂

Yes I fancied a defender but a bit rich for my blood. I’ve watched some really good YouTube vids of German RC construction vehicles. I could get into that. I’m more into slow moving vehicles than hooning about.

• Like 1

Mikdent
2 hours ago, Dave H said:

Yes I fancied a defender but a bit rich for my blood. I’ve watched some really good YouTube vids of German RC construction vehicles. I could get into that. I’m more into slow moving vehicles than hooning about.

Yeah me too Dave, that's why we both bought NCs. :dielaugh:

My Slash that I got recently is going to be my secondary vehicle, just something to hoon about with.

My true calling is a crawler, Ive done a lot of digging recently and my choice is now this.....

IMG_3329.JPG.7f9d5f345b429c1bfcd96700c939718c.JPG

with this scale defender body...

IMG_3331.jpg.2280d509b32a5998a1bb1e861859afab.jpg

The Toyota is Ready to Run with Tx and charger for £300, the Landy body is £100. £100 cheaper than the TRX4 and 2 bodies.

Dave H
31 minutes ago, Mikdent said:

My Slash that I got recently is going to be my secondary vehicle, just something to hoon about with.

My true calling is a crawler, Ive done a lot of digging recently and my choice is now this.....

The Toyota is Ready to Run with Tx and charger for £300, the Landy body is £100. £100 cheaper than the TRX4 and 2 bodies.

Very nice. I feel a late Xmas present coming on.

kayz1

I looked into those German construction kits, but 3 grand is a little over the top..

Mikdent
1 hour ago, kayz1 said:

I looked into those German construction kits, but 3 grand is a little over the top..

Youre not wrong, but those Germans love modelling, in every genre too.

There ares some very impressive scale trucks and trailers, and construction equipment on YouTube, Ive spent days watching em. :ike:

• Like 1

larryblag
6 hours ago, Dave H said:

I'll try and find the YouTube vid of my rock crawler. 

• Like 1

Grumpy Meltdown
22 hours ago, Mikdent said:

I wish you hadn’t posted that. 

I am now heading down a very deep rabbit hole! 😉

• Haha 2

pjm

Have a look on a site called banggood. Got the grandson a 6 wheel crawler of a Russian military truck for £20 odd quid. Doesn’t actually crawl but with a decent speed controller and steering servo upgrade it would be right up your street or rock. Plenty of dirt cheap rc bits and bobs on there. A basic 6 wheel drive truck and tranny for that price is quite unbelievable and it has been a great hit.

• Like 1

Grumpy Meltdown

Why are almost all the RC kits RTR these days?

It has always been the building and setting up that I enjoy the most.

I tend to get bored of stuff, or don’t manage to make time to use them afterwards.

Thats why I prefer to build static kits.

My latest is this beast...

41A0C587-70D4-4340-9FF9-579DB836D0FB.jpeg.2b0e1c86e8b636c7b511c97502679c54.jpeg

1:24 Mosquito. Wingspan of 27” fuselage 23”

The devil is in the detail.

CA9FED0F-3DB9-4FCA-8F61-B717977DA844.jpeg.d3807e6fb8a517f9b48e3ed7c889539a.jpeg

06B23BC3-A773-4DBF-BFC9-DB664951A3E7.jpeg.5ee55a9435c58184944a2a8dda902047.jpeg

• Like 4

Chris750

Can't make up my mind between one of these or an Artic, not a cheap hobby though!

rBVaJFmxC26AC0g-AAMtBeC-n4Y667.jpg

• Like 2

outrunner

Here's me thinking I was done with RC model stuff and now you guys have me looking at construction models!  There are some really nice 360 excavators out there and I still have a 2.4 Ghz transmitter, loads of servos both standard and mini/micro, speed controllers brushed and brushless and also a pile of motors also brushed and brushless. I am thinking that I could sit out front and dig the weeds out of the garden with one of those. :) On the other hand, I may just sell the lot on that website.

Edit. The fact that I used to drive construction equipment for a living makes the models that much more alluring to me.

Andy.

Edited by outrunner
  • Like 2

listener

I say, Grumpy old chap! Shouldn't that Mossie be made of wood?! :P

I had the Airfix (1/72 version, I think) back in my yoof. That was my fave WW2 plane, along with the Westland Lysander, because they were a bit 'odd'.

I see the crew figures are pretty realistic given the Mossie's 'interesting' handling - the pilot looks as mad as a box of frogs, and the co-pilot/nav looks like he's pooped himself. :lol:

Tally ho, chaps!

• Haha 3

Grumpy Meltdown
On 26/12/2018 at 18:39, listener said:

I say, Grumpy old chap! Shouldn't that Mossie be made of wood?! :P

I had the Airfix (1/72 version, I think) back in my yoof. That was my fave WW2 plane, along with the Westland Lysander, because they were a bit 'odd'.

I see the crew figures are pretty realistic given the Mossie's 'interesting' handling - the pilot looks as mad as a box of frogs, and the co-pilot/nav looks like he's pooped himself. :lol:

Tally ho, chaps!

😂 Spot on.

Catch 22 “You have to be mad to fly,  it if you’re mad you shouldn’t be” or something like that.

Ah, the Lysander. Instantly recognisable, nothing else has that wing profile.

As for the Mossie, I have a soft spot for it since watching the film 633 Sqn. I even have the theme tune as my ring tone, how sad am I? 🤔

outrunner

Just had a rummage in the loft and found I still have both a Tamiya Wild Willy and a Tamiya Monster Beetle, both nearly complete but they have suffered a bit from old age (like me). Also lurking there is a Mardave Marauder off roader complete with Irvine IC engine, I can see a listing going on that unmentionable website one of these days.  :)

Andy.

Mikdent
9 minutes ago, outrunner said:

Just had a rummage in the loft and found I still have both a Tamiya Wild Willy and a Tamiya Monster Beetle, both nearly complete but they have suffered a bit from old age (like me). Also lurking there is a Mardave Marauder off roader complete with Irvine IC engine, I can see a listing going on that unmentionable website one of these days.  :)

Andy.

Post some pics. :niceone:

Andy m

OMG. The Monster Beetle IIRC has a battery range of about 17 inches! 

I loved the Mosquito crew and am awe of your talent. 

If you like the Lysander you want to go to the Shuttleworth collection near Bedford. Their Lizzie is the SOE version in black. They also have a Soviet U2 as used by the "Nightwitches" and the red DeHavilland Australian air race Comet. Their cafe serves decent cake and their car park is bike friendly. 

Andy

• Like 1

baben
15 hours ago, Grumpy Meltdown said:

😂 Spot on.

Catch 22 “You have to be mad to fly,  it if you’re mad you shouldn’t be” or something like that.

Ah, the Lysander. Instantly recognisable, nothing else has that wing profile.

As for the Mossie, I have a soft spot for it since watching the film 633 Sqn. I even have the theme tune as my ring tone, how sad am I? 🤔

Funnily enough, my brother has that as the personalised tone on his phone for me. Your modelling standards are light years ahead of me I am afraid. I will just have to take my photos in soft focus:bye:

• Haha 1

baben
14 hours ago, Andy m said:

OMG. The Monster Beetle IIRC has a battery range of about 17 inches! 

I loved the Mosquito crew and am awe of your talent. 

If you like the Lysander you want to go to the Shuttleworth collection near Bedford. Their Lizzie is the SOE version in black. They also have a Soviet U2 as used by the "Nightwitches" and the red DeHavilland Australian air race Comet. Their cafe serves decent cake and their car park is bike friendly. 

Andy

Sounds like you are describing a potential meet up come the spring. Never been to Shuttleworth and always wanted to go but never had an excuse.

• Like 1