Jump to content
Mikdent

My first RC truck.

Recommended Posts

Mr Toad
13 minutes ago, baben said:

Sounds like you are describing a potential meet up come the spring. Never been to Shuttleworth and always wanted to go but never had an excuse.

 

I'm in Glendon, I've been to Shuttleworth and would love to go back. 

 

Andy mentioned the Lysander, what a plane that is. After seeing it in countless films making clandestine flights deep into enemy territory I expected something small and hard to spot. It's size came as a complete shock, it's massive, not at all as I imagined it.

Share this post


Link to post
Dave H

I went to a military RC air show at Old Warden a few years back and was gobsmacked by the skill and variety of planes including a Messerschmidt Me262. The highlight was a B-29, outstanding. 

Share this post


Link to post
Dave H

Had a ratch in the attic and found my boys old car. 

13455DC3-3A21-4DE7-A8FC-BE1A919F2AF6.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Dave H

My 9 year old granddaughter decorated hers. 

 

 

7CC00946-F0A4-40EF-AF5E-651ACB8762C8.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
outrunner

Some pictures to keep Jerry happy.
Mardave Marauder IC car.
46500114971_eb90f2384b_b.jpg

46500115251_984d855960_b.jpg

46500115981_ed0b4ac41c_b.jpg
Never run for 20 odd years, but it's all there except radio gear.
Wild Willy jeep.
46500118001_6982c38568_b.jpg

46500116941_ec1ccdc453_b.jpg

46500116581_507c26d874_b.jpg
This one has had a hard life, lots of bits missing/broken but chassis and running gear are OK but the tyres are perished with age.

Monster Beetle.
 46500113361_6f77f5308b_b.jpg

46500114031_c6dccc4a6d_b.jpg

46500114511_e2290e0158_b.jpg
Again, one or two bits missing but all original, not too bad for things that are at least 22 years old. I suppose a bit of a clean would be in order if I was considering selling them.

 

 

 

Andy.

Edited by outrunner
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Grumpy Meltdown
21 hours ago, Andy m said:

OMG. The Monster Beetle IIRC has a battery range of about 17 inches! 

 

I loved the Mosquito crew and am awe of your talent. 

 

If you like the Lysander you want to go to the Shuttleworth collection near Bedford. Their Lizzie is the SOE version in black. They also have a Soviet U2 as used by the "Nightwitches" and the red DeHavilland Australian air race Comet. Their cafe serves decent cake and their car park is bike friendly. 

 

Andy

 

Thanks Andy.

I’ve been a few times, mostly for the breakfast fry up on bike runs, but Skid and I went for the RAF100 display in the summer.

Cracking day out. Some interesting kit in the sky including their Lysander, the BBMF, a few Spits and Hurricanes, some real vintage stuff and an ear splitting display by a Typhoon. 😀

 

There was also this group... https://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/

Not so much a restoration, more a new build, and an interesting prospect.

I hope they get it in the air so I get the chance to see it in the sky.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Grumpy Meltdown
7 hours ago, baben said:

Sounds like you are describing a potential meet up come the spring. Never been to Shuttleworth and always wanted to go but never had an excuse.

 

I’m up for that. If you ask nicely I’ll let you use my mobile cloakroom. 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Andy m

It's a longish run for me and a lot of boring A1, but pick a Sunday and I'll check the diary. 

 

They have a 2800cc cylinder I've been wanting to pinch since 2012. It's a nineth of an Anzani radial, so I'm sure they can spare it. Once it's mine we'll be having a project to build to worlds fastest Bullet! The 7-into-1 carb manifold will be a b****r, but one step at time. 

 

Andy

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
slowboy

Mmm, that sounds interesting, when are we going. And would that cylinder fit in the CRF top box😎?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Mr Toad

I bought a Tamiya RC to build with my lad when he was younger. It was a red 4WD buggy called the Hotshot.

 

There are still some bits floating about in the shed somewhere. We both loved racing round the garden with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Mikdent

My boy driving the slash at a bike park, damn these youngsters pick things up quick don't they!

 

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Grumpy Meltdown

Some good slo-mo action going on there. 🙂 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
larryblag
On 24/12/2018 at 22:46, larryblag said:

I'll try and find the YouTube vid of my rock crawler. 

Couldn't find it - too long ago :hug:

For reference though - here's one of the same 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
larryblag
On 28/12/2018 at 11:58, Mr Toad said:

 

I'm in Glendon, I've been to Shuttleworth and would love to go back. 

 

Andy mentioned the Lysander, what a plane that is. After seeing it in countless films making clandestine flights deep into enemy territory I expected something small and hard to spot. It's size came as a complete shock, it's massive, not at all as I imagined it.

One of my favourite books is "Black Lysander" by John Nesbitt-Dufort. It covers clandestine WW2 ops. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
larryblag
On 28/12/2018 at 11:41, baben said:

Sounds like you are describing a potential meet up come the spring. Never been to Shuttleworth and always wanted to go but never had an excuse.

Me and Kels might be up for that too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
baben

Looking at their site they only do two air displays a year and so I imagine those will be rammed but they are open every day so a midweek ride out would be an option. Weekend probably preferable though. Maybe in March?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Mr Toad
3 hours ago, larryblag said:

One of my favourite books is "Black Lysander" by John Nesbitt-Dufort. It covers clandestine WW2 ops. 

 

Just been on to Bookazon and it's £42 up to £171 and Fleabay is no better!

 

Another book hunt mission, just what I needed :( 

 

Mind you I have a friend who'd also be very interested, I think I might point him at it. Mwah, ha ha, I feel an email coming on, he likes a challenge. :devil: 

  • Sigh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Mr Toad
2 hours ago, baben said:

Looking at their site they only do two air displays a year and so I imagine those will be rammed but they are open every day so a midweek ride out would be an option. Weekend probably preferable though. Maybe in March?

 

Anytime is good for me.

 

This was the Shuttleworth Lysander when I was last there. It was longer ago than I thought, September 2015............................my life is on fast forward!!!

 

And, it's black.

 

IMG_2375.JPG.ecab395049d51ea9881face194a28558.JPG

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Dave H

The cars I bought my granddaughters are too fast for them so I’ve ordered some 80 turn motors for them which should slow them down about 60% then they won’t crash them so much. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
larryblag
1 hour ago, Mr Toad said:

 

Just been on to Bookazon and it's £42 up to £171 and Fleabay is no better!

 

Another book hunt mission, just what I needed :( 

 

Mind you I have a friend who'd also be very interested, I think I might point him at it. Mwah, ha ha, I feel an email coming on, he likes a challenge. :devil: 

Damn, if only we knew what was going to be valuable in the future. My copy is in Pinxton Signal Box - which is now at Barrow Hill - along with my toaster :bye:

  • Sigh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Rocker66
5 minutes ago, larryblag said:

Damn, if only we knew what was going to be valuable in the future. My copy is in Pinxton Signal Box - which is now at Barrow Hill - along with my toaster :bye:

Signallers reading books on duty no wonder us poor trai crew had to stand out in the pouring rain waiting to get an answer on the SPT.😀😀

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Mikdent
1 hour ago, Dave H said:

The cars I bought my granddaughters are too fast for them so I’ve ordered some 80 turn motors for them which should slow them down about 60% then they won’t crash them so much. 

 

What make are they? Doesn't the electronic speed controller have a novice mode?

 

I know that Traxxas ESCs do. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Dave H

They have a potentiometer on the controller, like the steering trim pot, but if you reduce the juice enough to make it controllable it won’t reverse. I think it’s the cheap ESC that causes that. 

They’re unbranded but cheap enough. I think I would have paid a fair bit more for an decent ESC

Share this post


Link to post
larryblag
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rocker66 said:

Signallers reading books on duty no wonder us poor trai crew had to stand out in the pouring rain waiting to get an answer on the SPT.😀😀

Ah yes, the "ballast-operated" signal. As soon as your feet touch down the damn thing clears :whistle:

Edited by larryblag
Splleing
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Rocker66
Just now, larryblag said:

Ah yes, the "ballast-operated" signal. As soon as your feet touch down tbe damn thing clears :whistle:

They always seemed to be more active in bad weather.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×