Trev

Another EV

pjm

I always stuck a small bar end mirror on my cycles. Good lights and a loud electronic hooter. It’s a shame that the Lycra crowd have given cycling such a bad reputation. It is still one of the purist forms of transport and has similar pleasure giving aspects as one derives from motorcycles. You “Essex” boys are all the same..... hold on that’s the same as you are saying all cyclists are the same 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

Trev
2 hours ago, Tonyj said:

Trev seems like the misses is an anti as well :0). Most definitely not a geography teachers bike if you are gonna go all ufc at the odd jibe. About seafaring retardation devices . 

Can any cyclists tell my why they don’t put mirrors on push bikes. It seems a bit of an omission on a street bike just for the safety aspect 

Tony, totally with you on the mirrors thing, you can get them, I've neat little fold away job on my cycllcross bike, but they really should be standard, or at least offered by the dealers at purchase time. 

• Like 1

beep

trek-powerfly-5-2017-electric-mountain-b

As mentioned in other threads I've got one of these for commuting (Trek Powerfly 5), although it looks more like the Giant you've bought, since I've changed the tyres and added a rack and mudguards.

I do about half your intended distance every day (only used my car 5 times for commuting in the last nine months, had the bike for 18 months now). Winter tyres are a must at this time of year where I live, so using Schwalbe Winter Plus instead of the my usual Schwalbe Tour Plus. About 12 miles each way, with one decent hill in the middle. Takes me 45-50 minutes each way - always. It's very difficult to knock time off on an ebike and I've yet to beat my "record" made on a normal bike.

My ebike is actually faster on a hillier route, since you can always cycle to close to the limit (16 mph) up hills but then speed down them, whereas on the flat you can only really get any speed up if you make a real effort (past the limit of assistance which is about 16 mph on my bike) or have a tailwind.

However battery range drops massively if you do a lot of hills, I'm guessing 1 miles of proper hill equates to the 5-10 miles on the flat, in terms of battery use. I get over 50 miles to my 500wH battery. I achieved over 120 miles just once, but this was putting a real effort in (no assistance at all for most of it). 

I didn't buy it to buy it to save money, but it costs almost nothing to run (8p electricity instead of £2 petrol on my NC or £4 in petrol in the car), so it may well have paid for itself already. 

I'm very lucky that my route is so rural and car free, apart for 3 miles, so I'm definitely not go back to car or motorcycle any time soon.

Enjoy your new bike!

Edited by beep
  • Like 4

Trev

Thanks Steve, always most helpful to have experience and insight from an actual user. Very good point regarding winter tyres, a colleague at work had a couple of spectacular 'offs' last year that prompted him to go for different tyres and he says they're a world apart. Think I'll ask the dealer if he can switch them from the outset 

pjm

Popped in to Cycle Republic for a quick look at their e bikes. What jumped out at me was the size of the tyres on the mountain bike versions. More like a small motorcycle tyre than the good old 26 x 1 3/4. I would look to use on the road. I would like the comfort of the suspension of the mb style but with a good puncture proof road tyre. Can you get a road style tyre to fit the mb wheels?

slowboy

+1for the schwalbe tyres. Great life to.

KingJames

Marathon plus very good for ebikes as they are pretty much puncture proof (tough changing tubes due to the rear wheel being locked in rather than quick release) but not great in slippy conditions. 

wpbrown

Had a look at the cost of these; yikes! Love the idea, though it would be hard for me to justify the cost. My Honda s-Wing is worth about a third of the cost of these and when I fill it to the neck with petrol (about £14) it does me about 6 weeks of my short commute.

Just curious. What's the lifespan like on the motor for this sort of thing? Is there a decent warranty?

• Like 2

beep

The warranty is 2 years on Bosch motors and batteries and for Kalkhoff its 3 years. You do hear occasional problems with the drives, but no problems with ours yet (my other half also has a Trek ebike). Shimano and Yamaha probably have similar warranties. Most bike shops haven't got the skill to fix a motor and simply ship it back to manufacturer for repair or more often replacement. I'd have thought battery problems are rare, but none of them would survive being dropped on concrete (a very expensive mistake at about £500 for a replacement).

Although these bikes can be ridden in the pouring rain, its advisable not to use a jet wash on them, particularly around the drive unit. Not that I'd ever use a jet wash on a bicycle anyway!

Mileage so far is 6600 on mine. Only had to change the brake pads, cassette, chain and front sprocket recently (all for only £50 bought from Germany). 

Any maintenance should be carried out with the battery removed, if you value your fingers :blink:

Edited by beep
  • Like 5

djsb

The motors can be completely rebuilt for around £300 here

https://www.performancelinebearings.com/

They also provide bearing and seal kits and a basic service. I aim to get mine stripped, checked and re greased every year regardless.

beep

David, Thanks, that's an Interesting source of parts. I think I'll just keep riding mine as I do whilst in warranty, not sure Bosch would approve of opening up the motor during that time. 

I've read that the most common failure is the main motor bearing on the right, usually due to water or mud getting into the bearing. Will change this myself if needed, since they only cost £15. The other bearing on the right looks a lot tougher to get out so I'd probably leave that to the professionals.

I'm hoping to hit 10,000 miles, some time next year, without any problems surfacing. I've tightened the cranks and main engine mounts (to spec) - my other half had creaking cranks on her bike, this solved the problem. Apart from that totally trouble free. 

https://www.bike-discount.de/en is an excellent source for parts (not bearings) and tools for ebikes, much cheaper than fleebay, etc. 

Edited by beep