G8pcw

Re taxing my old bike prior to selling it...

G8pcw

Hi,

Just wanted to run a question by everyone. 

I'm going to PX my current mike (VFR1200) for a new NC750x on Weds 2nd Jan. The road tax on my VFR runs out on 31st Dec so the only time I'll be using my it after that date is on the 40 minute ride from my home to the bike dealer on 2nd Jan. 

So my options are: 

1. Re-tax my bike for 6 months for that one journey and then (hopefully) get it refunded (minus 1 month) once the DVLA figure it's no longer owned by me. 

2. Do nothing and just ride to the dealer and hope. 

3. SORN the thing and then head to the dealer and hope I'm not super-unlucky.

Having typed this all out. I reckon 2 isn't even an option. 3 would be an option but has significant risk associated with it as (presumably) I'd be uninsured if anything untoward happened?  So maybe I've answered my own question and I just have to bite the bullet and insure it for 6 months and hope the refund mechanism works!

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Cheers

Pete

macamx

Ask the dealer to deliver new bike and collect trade in.

Geoff.

• Like 6

Tex
3 minutes ago, macamx said:

Ask the dealer to deliver new bike and collect trade in.

Geoff.

That’s the obvious solution. And I have done that myself in the past. I have also dropped the old bike off at the dealer before the tax ran out, but that meant MrsT picking me up afterwards and dropping me off a couple of days later. Easy enough as it’s only about 2 miles.. 

• Like 1

MikeBike

Ask the dealer for a Loan bike for those couple of days?

trade plate?

Get the bus from/to the dealers (that's how I collected mine)

• Like 1

fred_jb

Even if the dealer collects, if it is after the expiry date, then you will have to tax or SORN it to stay legal.  If the dealer collects, or you drop it off before the tax expires, it won't help if you don't do the change of ownership on the V5 at the same time to officially change ownership.  If you leave that until you collect the new bike, it doesn't matter where it is stored, it will still be your responsibility to keep it taxed or SORNed in the interim.

• Like 3

wpbrown

I would tax it for the 6 months and you will get the refund automatically with change of ownership.

The most important thing is: Declare yourself immediately as no longer the owner.

This can be done on line. I learnt this the hard way a couple of months ago. I sold my NT700 Deauville to a dealer on 29th May and bought a CBF1000 on 31st May. The tax on the Deauville expired on 31st May.  I left the paperwork with the dealer. Unfortunately he did not tax nor SORN the bike until 1st August and declared himself the owner from then. Technically then the bike was not taxed nor SORNed for two months and as I was still the declared owner as far as DVLA was concerned I got a fine of £80 plus had to pay the outstanding tax for the two month period. I appealed but found out that it was no use complaining that the new owner did not declare himself as the owner from the correct date. It is your responsibility to declare yourself as having sold the bike. Do it on-line or call DVLA.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

embee

Whatever you do don't go on the road when it is SORNed.

If you do want to ride it on the road, tax for 12 months and then claim the refund when you trade it in, you can't transfer the tax anyway these days. 6 months tax costs 10% more than 12 months pro rata, if you're going to claim a refund for all bar one month you'll pay less by going the 12 month route.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

temp

Agree with everyone above, but would likely chance 2.

DVLA road tax for changing a vehicle is a rip off, don't understand why there is no complaints.

• Like 1

Herr Flick

All the above plus I can confirm the DVLA does refund efficiently. 

• Like 3

G8pcw

Thanks for all your responses folks! I think I'll probably tax it and then declare that I've sold it straight away (thanks WPbrown for that gem!). Really good point about the increased cost (per month) by going for 6 months which makes the 12 month a better option!

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

wozza

In my experience with the new road tax system as soon as your dealer takes your bike DLVA are informed immediately and your get refunded the remaining portion of your road tax very quickly...

• Like 1

alhendo1
55 minutes ago, wozza said:

In my experience with the new road tax system as soon as your dealer takes your bike DLVA are informed immediately and your get refunded the remaining portion of your road tax very quickly...

Yes that was my experience but I suppose it's down to how efficient your dealer is...

• Like 4

embee

DVLA, yes very quick at the moment. I declared 2 bikes SORN on 29th Nov and received the cheques on about 5th Dec.

• Like 2

Southerner

Just ride it to the dealer....

• Like 1

Mr Toad
On 12/26/2018 at 21:03, Southerner said:

Just ride it to the dealer....

Only if positive there are no ANPR cameras on route.

• Like 1

KingJames

Thought you were allowed one journey when Sorned, to a place that can mot or repair the vehicle. Just about qualifies IMO.

KingJames

Will the dealer be testing the bike at the other end, ie another testing appointment. Alternatively the trade plate option would work as per above. 

CC0EC3B9-E987-49A5-9436-C47B8214BE65.png

G8pcw

I've taxed it for now and will cancel it as soon as I return from the dealer. The likelihood of being caught is low but in have a special kind of bad luck when it comes to things like this!!

Thanks for all the replies.

Pete

• Like 1

Andy m

"Other testing appointment" sounds like lawyer code for overtime if you get caught on the ANPR cameras. In theory you could ask the dealer to check the tyre pressures before you decide what to do about the SORN. Upon arrival you must have decided that rather than have them put air in and start the MOT process you'd rather just buy a new bike. All good in theory, but now gather and present it as evidence,  especially when the "appointment"  is a pop-in-and-we'll-take-a-look telephone conversation 🤔😕😕

When I picked up the CB the salesman was mid spat with someone legal. Obviously didn't tell me much, but it seems someone had been caught doing something as they'd left the dealer on a new bike. The "Safety" quango had thrown the book at him and he was now in the process of proving they'd done the tax online on pick-up day, his insurance had switched over etc. The dealer was being pretty supportive but obviously didn't need the hassle and could only go as fast as their own lawyer allowed. He made me a cuppa while we waited for my insurance to definately switch over. 

Andy

• Like 1

Tex

When I do the ‘change of machine’ with my insurance (Hastings Direct - I support local jobs) they leave the old bike covered for a further seven days after the new one starts. It’s automatic (apparantly) and designed to give you time to sell it if you’re not part exchanging. Makes doing the swap over much easier as it can be done in advance. 

• Like 1

Southerner
On 12/30/2018 at 13:55, G8pcw said:

I've taxed it for now and will cancel it as soon as I return from the dealer. The likelihood of being caught is low but in have a special kind of bad luck when it comes to things like this!!

Thanks for all the replies.

Pete

A faff, but in all honesty, probably the best thing to do - the law of sod and all that...

larryblag

Scrap road tax altogether and put a couple of pence on a litre of fuel. The more you use the road, the more you pay. Simple, fair. 

• Thanks 1

Andy m

Far too logical. Collecting two taxes means Sir Humphrey's empire is twice as big. Its a job creation scheme. 

Andy

• Like 1

embee

If they called it a "duty" (as in Vehicle Excise Duty) they could also add VAT on top of it, just like they do with fuel duty. Always found it interesting that they can't put tax on tax, but they can put tax on duty. Bless them.

• Like 1

Rocker66
1 hour ago, larryblag said:

Scrap road tax altogether and put a couple of pence on a litre of fuel. The more you use the road, the more you pay. Simple, fair. 

But then you would be paying VAT on the extra cost of the fuel making a fill up even more expensive.

• Haha 1