crazyhorse

NC750X DCT or sports bike

crazyhorse

I have been thinking of swapping the NC for a Yamaha R3.The reasoning behind this is i feel a sports bike would be more agile and fun in the corners.

I have never had a sports bike before and wondered if the the NC’s ride is similar to a sport bike.To the people who have owned both an NC and a sports bike does the NC feel similar? are you happy with the NC after owning a sports bike? can you carry a lot more speed round corners on the sports bike? Which is more fun? 

• Confused 1

Rocker66
3 minutes ago, crazyhorse said:

I have been thinking of swapping the NC for a Yamaha R3.The reasoning behind this is i feel a sports bike would be more agile and fun in the corners.

I have never had a sports bike before and wondered if the the NC’s ride is similar to a sport bike.To the people who have owned both an NC and a sports bike does the NC feel similar? are you happy with the NC after owning a sports bike? can you carry a lot more speed round corners on the sports bike? Which is more fun? 

Which is more fun completely depends on the individual. I still have a sportsbike mind but sadly no longer have a sportsbike body. Comparing a sports bike with a NC is like comparing apples with pears as both have similarities but are very different in many ways. You really need to to try a sportsbike before deciding.

• Like 5

Roy Atkinson

Sports bike wont have a frunk, where are you going to carry your bits.

You`ll have to keep changing gear and the mpg will go down to half the DCT, if you are going to thrash it.

Insurance may be more. Wont be as comfortable on your back and shoulders and wrists.

Just put the DCT in S3 and thrash it a bit and get it out of your system.

Then go back to the cheap relaxing mode of transport.

The old faithfull DCT.

I know the feeling for a change but when I think it through, I stick with the NC 750X DCT.

You`ll pay out and change it and want to go back to the NC and in time you will go back to the cheap running NC.

• Like 3

Mark8arker

Book yourself on a track day  in the new year. Thrash the fck out of it and hand the keys back. Cheaper, safer and more fun!

• Like 1

Tex

Our esteemed friend Sam (Poppet M) rides an NC750S every day and when she visited her twin brother in Australia she borrowed a Nija 300. I think she quite enjoyed it but has shown no interest in changing her everyday ride. You should drop her a PM for more info? 

My own feeling is that sports bikes are brilliant at being sports bikes but pretty rubbish at everything else, but bikes like the NC are pretty bloody good at everything. A decent set of tyres on an NC and it’ll carry all the corner speed you could realistically use on the road. 

• Like 5

Spindizzy

A sports bike will corner faster accelerate faster and stop faster.  All of this is very useful on a racetrack.

An NC will corner, accelerate and stop with the same amount of attention and input as the above albeit a little slower. Not so useful on a racetrack

One of the above is waaaay better on the road.......no prizes for guessing.

(ex Superbike owner and 2 stroke yoof of old)

Edited by Spindizzy
  • Like 2

crazyhorse

Thanks guys, your helping to make my mind up.... still not 100% sure

Graham
20 minutes ago, crazyhorse said:

Thanks guys, your helping to make my mind up.... still not 100% sure

Sounds like you just need two bikes, easy!

• Like 2

Andy m

If the itch has to be scratched do it. 

I have to say having my first bike with 17-inch wheels both ends has been a revelation. That said, I think the riding position would get tedious after a few goes and the reviews suggest the Indians cut a few corners in the brakes etc. 

Andy

• Like 1

Scootabout

There's a bloke on another forum who's just passed DAS and has bought a Blade. Half the people who commented said no, you'll kill yourself, get a smaller bike. The other 50% said the throttle works both ways, buy what you want. I was in the latter camp. He's 36 and self-confessed cautious/sensible. I think he'll be fine. Anyway the OP on here's talking about a 300, not a 1000, right? 

Tex

My son had a 675 Street Triple R as a first bike (I would have preferred to see him on something more ‘sedate’) and it all turned out fine. The ‘Blade is a wonderful device. As docile as a kitten (seriously) at small throttle openings someone sensible should be fine.

Bart Stilgo

I think a lot of limitation is in the rider

I'm not one to throw the bike around and know the bike's not the problem when it comes to corners.  Its me that limits the ride

I had a Yamaha Fazer 600, not really a 'sports' bike but the riding position was much heavier on the wrists and the centre of gravity much different to the NCX

Sedate is a good word for the NC but it can shift in the right hands.

• Like 1

crazyhorse

I think i’m gonna stick with the NC and practice cornering a lot more! 

• Like 5

embee

A faster bike doesn't often make a faster rider, however the reverse is absolutely true. But that's probably not what you're thinking about in this dilemma.

If you really want to ride faster, (a) don't do it on the road, (b) get rider training first on a track day experience.

I always remember going for a ride out with a chap I shared a house with once, I has a BMW R90S and he had just bought himself a BMW R45. I struggled to keep up, he was an advanced driving instructor.

What everyone says about sports bikes is spot on. I have a Suzuki SV650S which while not overly powerful (72BHP) it is light and nimble and much sportier than the Integra. It's great fun for a recreational day out, but if I was to choose one bike for everyday use it'd be the NC. It's sliced white bread as opposed to organic granary, but it actually does all I need on the road. I've had a 1 litre sports bike and found it far too much of everything for road use, to make it feel "alive" you ended up going way to fast, stick to speed limits and it was boring. May as well have a bike suited to the road speed limits.

• Like 6

Mikdent
12 hours ago, crazyhorse said:

I think i’m gonna stick with the NC and practice cornering a lot more! 

That sounds like a sensible solution, I used to love cornering on my NCX, it corners great, like it's on rails.

The closest bike I ever owned to a sports bike was a Suzuki RF900, I enjoyed my ownership of the X much more than the RF. 

Ciaran1602

Don’t know about anyone else but I find satisfaction in getting the best out of something  ill designed for sporting stuff. Giving the NC a thrashing and making it work is infinitely more satisfying than breezing last things on the FZ6S2 I owned a while back. The limit of its performance is far lower therefore far easier to get to the limit and enjoy it (plus easier to recover when you push it too far!)

• Like 1

macamx

Last sports bike that I rode was a 2015 R1. Absolutely ridiculous and a complete waste of superb engineering and technology. (my son's bike before it went for track use). I was actually pleased to get off it as it was going to end in grief, either legally or physically. By comparison, the 500 Honda was huge fun. My view is that sub 200kg and 50bhp is the sweet spot for solo road use.

Geoff.

• Like 6

Rocker66

Although I can no longer ride them when I walk into a motorcycle showroom it’s still the sports bikes that grab my attention first. Kent M/Cs have had a limited edition Blade in and every time I saw it I would think “if only”

• Like 2

Southerner

An NC750 DCT and sports bike? Chalk and cheese...

Exceledsteve

I once owned a Kawasaki KR1-S (250cc 2-stroke) and I loved it. Wish I still had it, but not as an only bike. It was pretty extreme and I had to  be in the mood to enjoy it. If I had to choose between that and an NC for everything it would be the NC.

• Like 1