wjvh

A few NC700S winterisation mods

wjvh

Bought my 2012 NC700S (36k miles) a few weeks ago. Had a good bit of kit already (Oxford heated grips, R&G rear hugger, fender extender, Givi colour-coded topbox, OE panniers, Puig tinted racing screen). But this is my all weather commuter so I’ve pimped it up a bit more with: Beowulf stainless steel radiator guard, cheap unbranded hand guards, wheel reflectives, and fork gaiters. I’ve also added some rubber sheets to keep muck off the rear suspension parts although this needs some tweaking still.

Various Pics here:

https://flickr.com/photos/8235871@N07/sets/72157674769688167

Pics are in a bit of a random order, sorry.

I’m particularly pleased with the hand guards. Only £9 from everyone’s favourite online auction site, they were a doddle to fit and seem like reasonable quality. I really wanted the Givi ones but they’re a silly price so I figured these were worth a punt. The bracket did require some manipulation to get the right position.

The fork gaiters are 60mm at the bottom so they fit snuggly over the top of the fork legs, and 42mm at the top so a good fit on the 41mm stanchions with a cable tie to hold in place. They quality is a bit suspect, time will tell, would spend more on something better looking next time - these were about £15.

Edited by wjvh
Punctuation
  • Like 4

JamesS

I can vouch for the hand guards. I've had the same type on my bike for 2 years (including winters) & they do the job perfectly well. I can't understand why people pay so much more just for a brand name? I really like your other alterations too. Looks perfect to push through the winter on (as long as you have heated gear too!).

• Like 1

hyperbimduke
On ‎22‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 22:43, wjvh said:

I’m particularly pleased with the hand guards. Only £9 from everyone’s favourite online auction site

Anyone got a link, I cant find these?

wjvh

Delivery was a bit slow despite being advertised as UK stock

Andy m

I've started leaving negative feedback for those. When a "UK seller" takes a month to ship and uses China Post complete with customs declaration its going to go wrong eventually and is basic dishonesty. Let the next bloke know what he's getting into. 

Andy

• Like 3

DaveM59

Same hand guards as I fitted to the Forza. Mine came in 2 days but I'm not sure if it was the same seller but was a similar price.

I often filter non UK sellers out, then pick the cheapest with the fastest delivery.

• Like 2

wjvh

I’ve been at it again .... today I put the rear wheel rim reflectives on and added a piece of 3mm A4 Perspex behind the numberplate to act as an extra bit of splash/spray protection. I’m not sure if I’ll keep it though as it does rather impede rear wheel removal and it looks like it’ll be easily snapped or cracked with the inevitable knock .... we’ll see.

31679242367_7736026ab7_b.jpg

And more ...

32746185318_3f4b1045fa_b.jpg

wjvh

The Perspex is a translucent fluoro orange .... apparently. I’ll do some daylight pics tomorrow .

wjvh
39663723203_49ab567c8d_b.jpg

• Like 3

SteveThackery

Love the fluoro orange!

wjvh
31687371277_8c010986eb_b.jpg

wjvh

Whaddya fink, folks? Naff or useful? Be honest ... I won’t be offended

lazlo woodbine
10 minutes ago, wjvh said:

That looks like a proper mudguard. I like it:niceone:

Rocker66
34 minutes ago, wjvh said:

Function before form if it makes the bike more practical.

yorkshirepudding
58 minutes ago, wjvh said:

Were you trying mud on your back even with the top box? Looks relatively in keeping from that angle; have you got a picture from the back?

wjvh

No crud making its way on to me but there is a lot making its way all the way round to the rear shock area so I’m hoping this’ll catch some of that on its journey. The rear hugger is a bit lame (R&G) and only goes to about 11 o’clock . I notice that powerbronze do something a bit more substantial but I not sure it’s worth a £90 upgrade. View earlier posts for rear view. Cheers, Will

wjvh

Full on rearness

39663721523_a8740beb2f_b.jpg

Trev
17 hours ago, wjvh said:

naff - you asked :whistle:

Andy m

Speaking on behalf of Pooratrek we don't need competition at this sort of advanced level and will be sending the boys round as soon as we have your address :D

Andy

• Haha 4

Spindizzy
5 hours ago, Trev said:

naff - you asked :whistle:

I was too polite to comment. But Trevs honesty got me off the fence. 

Naff, sorry :ermm:

wjvh

Ha! The floodgates have opened. I was leaning towards ‘naff’ myself hence the question. Well, having faffed around long enough to fit it it’ll be staying put for the next month or so ... perhaps it’ll grow on me in that time.

• Like 2

Andy m

Don't let them get at you. They'll be the ones with dirt on their jackets come the summer. Then we'll see how the style and street cred gets handed out 🌞👌🐦😊

Andy

• Like 1

yorkshirepudding
On 06/01/2019 at 20:45, wjvh said:

Full on rearness

39663721523_a8740beb2f_b.jpg

I'm afraid is a 'naff' from me too

Rocker66

I agree with the others that it looks naff but if it does the job and your happy with it does it matter what any of us think.