wjvh

My two Honda from different generations

Rocker66

I’m sure that I must have taken some but couldn’t find them .

Hickky

Yeah, Fred, you had the black comstar wheels, mine had the silver ones but no original fly screen. Same colour though. By the time you took that photo my metal box connecting the two exhausts had rusted out and I had replaced it with a two into one. Can't remember the make but it was popular at the time, probably because it was cheap! When you think just how quickly those mild steel exhausts rotted back in those days before stainless steel ones, they were not even covered by warranty! Nowadays, with good, serviceable exhausts as OE everyone wants to change them because they are either ugly, too quiet or there is a thought that you may, just, be getting extra power from fitting a road use approved item from the parts list. Unlikely!

• Like 1

Jeffprince
9 minutes ago, Hickky said:

Yeah, Fred, you had the black comstar wheels, mine had the silver ones but no original fly screen. Same colour though. By the time you took that photo my metal box connecting the two exhausts had rusted out and I had replaced it with a two into one. Can't remember the make but it was popular at the time, probably because it was cheap! When you think just how quickly those mild steel exhausts rotted back in those days before stainless steel ones, they were not even covered by warranty! Nowadays, with good, serviceable exhausts as OE everyone wants to change them because they are either ugly, too quiet or there is a thought that you may, just, be getting extra power from fitting a road use approved item from the parts list. Unlikely!

Motad were the most popular 2-1 exhausts, as I remember. 

• Like 1

Hickky

Jeff, your memory is better than mine! Yup it was a Motad 2 into one. Now, about the winner of the 2.15 tomorrow.............

• Haha 1

Tex

The CX500 had silver Comstar wheels, no flyscreen and a plastic radiator surround. The CX500A had the flyscreen, slimmer (and prettier) alloy radiator surround but kept the silver wheels. The CX500B (like Fred’s) was the same as an A but with reverse design wheels in black. Simples. I really enjoyed mine (an A in black/red) which was standard apart from some S&W gas shocks, S&W air caps on the forks and a San Jose fork brace. 

I remember it with great fondness (and don’t really want to ride another one in case it turns out to be a disappointment..).

• Like 1

fred_jb
42 minutes ago, Tex said:

The CX500 had silver Comstar wheels, no flyscreen and a plastic radiator surround. The CX500A had the flyscreen, slimmer (and prettier) alloy radiator surround but kept the silver wheels. The CX500B (like Fred’s) was the same as an A but with reverse design wheels in black. Simples. I really enjoyed mine (an A in black/red) which was standard apart from some S&W gas shocks, S&W air caps on the forks and a San Jose fork brace. 

I remember it with great fondness (and don’t really want to ride another one in case it turns out to be a disappointment..).

Funny you should say that - I feel the same. I would be curious to ride one again just to see if it is anything like I remember, and to see how it compares with modern bikes, but at the same time I don't want to be disappointed and destroy my fond memories.

• Thanks 1

lipsee

I always thought they looked top heavy,,but Honda sure did get that engine right( apart from the cam chain) ,,Regarding the specs,,,(sure you can see them online,,but from a riders perspective is what Im really interested in) When I got my NC I was very surprised how fast it cruised. I just wondered if the old CX was the same....Always thought the NC should have been a shafty...I think we,ve gone backwards to go forwards,,,I mean now we have great low down torque,,but still using mucky chains.....

• Like 1

Jeffprince

I bet the original CX seat is a damn sight more comfortable than most available nowadays. They sorta spoiled it when they went with the shiny slopey version on the EC.

• Like 1

Tex
43 minutes ago, fred_jb said:

Funny you should say that - I feel the same. I would be curious to ride one again just to see if it is anything like I remember, and to see how it compares with modern bikes, but at the same time I don't want to be disappointed and destroy my fond memories.

Yes, everything, bikes, cars, cameras, televisions, mobiles etc are ‘of their time’. And time moves on. I don’t get at all nostalgic about the black and white TV my folks had in 1970, but, strangely, the Bonneville I bought in that year will always have a place in my heart :) 

There aren’t many bikes I have owned that I would want back again (except for the monetary value) for the simple reason that all were replaced by something better. But, all that aside, the CX was, somehow, ‘special’. :niceone:

• Like 1

Jeffprince
1 hour ago, Tex said:

My first CX, in all its glory. Can see how good that seat was in this pic...

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Jeffprince
6 hours ago, Rocker66 said:

That was the colour scheme I had also the same panniers but I fitted a full fairing. Sadly it’s one of the few bikes that I had that I couldn’t find a photo of.

Speaking of adding fairings, this is what I used to bung on my second EC for foreign trips (not the child!). I remember how heavy the damn thing was, when fitting. Some things have improved, I guess...

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Hickky

Jeff, Blue CX500X with crash protectors and rack. Note they all had centrestands back then so you could adjust the rear wheel (yes, I know). You couldn't have had it long when this photo was taken as it still had the original exhausts. Ahh, memories, mine was the same less crash bars and in black/red. I have since found out that the original was the CX500X, then with fly screen the CX500A, then with reverse black comstars the CX500B. Two punch marks by the engine number mean the cam chain tensioner had been modified under warranty.

• Like 1

wozza

Ah great machines the CX series and completely different from the normal Honda machines of the time. I had a CX650 Turbo - what a gorgeous machine that was. I have one crappy picture of it somewhere I'll have to dig out.  

wjvh

Big thanks to Rocker66 on the tip off for the current edition Classic Bike Guide CX feature (#333). Managed to get a copy of said magazine today and it’s a really good feature on the CX especially the Sports/Eurosports models like mine.

Have shared this with the chaps over on the CX/GL forum where it has been warmly received. 

Some other useful articles too which modern NC users won’t have to worry about (eg carb cleaning!).

Cheers, Will

• Thanks 1