wjvh

My two Honda from different generations

wjvh

I’m a lucky guy with two good motorbikes: My favourite is a CX500 Sports (EC), often known as the Eurosports model. Shaft drive, 80 degree transverse v-twin (like a Moto-Guzzi), 5 spd. Mine is one of the earliest from 1982 and all original although the wheels have been powder-coated black compared with the original silver / bare metal. Just over 26k miles now.

The other is an NC700S (2012) with 37k miles now. The NC is something of a sacrificial bike as she will take the winter and commuter batterings that the CX otherwise would. I will do some long tours on her too so she won’t miss out entirely, and I do look after my machines.

Here are some pics, just before I cleaned and rust-proofed the CX. I’ll convert her for single rider use only over the winter so pillion pegs and grab rail off and probably remove the front crash bars too, just to de-clutter the look and help reduce weight a bit. The NC also affords me time to do some light sympathetic restoration work, not concourse but I’ll smarten her up a bit.

https://flickr.com/photos/8235871@N07/sets/72157704942590604

(still working on direct pic inserts, sorry)

• Like 10

Jeffprince

Great pair of bikes! Jealous of the CX....

• Like 2

wjvh

The CX was cheap. I didn’t buy it from that auction site as it happens but nicer Eurosports, including some 650s, have turned up over the summer and I think they all went for less than £2k, which is less than my mates spend on their push bikes! The shaft drive is great , such a shame so few smaller engined shafties around now. I think even BMW are moving away from shaft drive on their smaller engines.

wjvh

Another great thing about the CX is that, for an old bike, there are loads of parts available , old, new and used, and most at cheap prices. So many of these bikes have been chopped up for cafe racers that there are loads of used parts around. The only difficult bits to get for the eurosports are the panels. I’ve a few boxes of the important spares already so reckon she’ll outlast me.

• Like 1

Tex

Two lovely bikes. I had an earlier CX and remember it very fondly. :niceone:

To share photos from FlickR just open the photo, click the ‘share’ arrow, select BBC code, highlight and copy it. Then just paste it into your reply on the forum. Good luck. :) 

machinman

Enjoyed your pics, cheers.

listener

I had a CX500EC between '82 and '85. Despite the pelters it took in the bike mags, it was a bloody good bike, if a wee bit 'lardy'.

Despite the mods made to the cam chain tensioner, the end off the tensioner snapped off causing a temporary lock up while I was riding (thankfully slowly) on wet cobbles.

I still remember watching the sparks coming off the bike as a small hole was ground through the corner of the left rocker cover - wish I'd fitted bars!

Thankfully the repairs were covered by Honda even though the bike was out of warranty.

Jeffprince

My two...650 and 500.image.jpeg.b30c4889d2b296e738e204bef5a495bf.jpeg

• Like 2

Rocker66

I received my January ossuary of Classic Bike Guide this morning which has an article on buying a CX500.

wjvh

Does it cover the Sports / Eurosport models?

wjvh

Yes, the CX500EC is a bit heavy but not too bad - the problem is really where that weight is, and it lies fairly high so the bike isn’t as stable or as sure-footed in any conditions.

wjvh

I do like it in white (white and black were the only official CX500EC colours in the UK). I ended up with a black one but that colour has really grown on me ... dare I say I prefer the black now (not biased, of course).

Rocker66
29 minutes ago, wjvh said:

Does it cover the Sports / Eurosport models?

Yes plus the Turbo and custom versions.

wjvh

I’ll go find myself a copy of that then ...

cheers

• Like 1

lipsee
On 12/24/2018 at 14:15, wjvh said:

I’ll go find myself a copy of that then ...

cheers

Hi ,,,As these two bikes are around the same cc,and they occupier more or less the same bit of the market in different decades..why do,nt you compared specs,,,  weight //power//consumption, that kind of thing..I for one would be interested...... its just my idea,,its up to you  ,,,regards

Chris750
1 hour ago, lipsee said:

Hi ,,,As these two bikes are around the same cc,and they occupier more or less the same bit of the market in different decades..why do,nt you compared specs,,,  weight //power//consumption, that kind of thing..I for one would be interested...... its just my idea,,its up to you  ,,,regards

If you look up and compare the specs of these two bikes the only thing similar is BHP, that and they have two wheels.

fred_jb

I've owned both bikes and think they are quite similar, both physically and in terms of market niche, and it is difficult to think of anything else from that era which is anywhere near so comparable with the NC.  They have similar power outputs, albeit max power at higher revs in the case of the CX, I guess not surprising given the lower capacity, they are not that different in weight, and both use water cooling and tubeless tyres (quite advanced for the time in the case of the CX).  The riding position of the CX is a bit sportier than the NC, though nearer in the case of the NC S model, which like the CX is also a naked bike.  The CX has twin front discs but these were probably no more effective than the NC's single disc, and other differences were largely due to what was available/normal at the time - so carbs rather than fuel injection, 5-speed gearbox rather than 6 -speed, etc.

Edited by fred_jb

baben

I was in my "non biking years" when the CX was around but it is the one bike that sticks in my memory, I think because of its engine layout and shaft drive both of which seemed a cool idea to me.

renners

Bought my cx in 1982 from DC Cooks which was on London Road in Sheffield it was the first brand new I bike I owned had it 3 years and when I sold it with about 28000 on the clock it looked as good then as it did when I got it, loved the bike and I cannot understand why Honda haven't bought out a new retro version of it.

Rocker66
2 minutes ago, renners said:

Bought my cx in 1982 from DC Cooks which was on London Road in Sheffield it was the first brand new I bike I owned had it 3 years and when I sold it with about 28000 on the clock it looked as good then as it did when I got it, loved the bike and I cannot understand why Honda haven't bought out a new retro version of it.

Possibly too expensive to produce the same reason the Deauville wasn’t upgraded to confirm to Euro4.

• Like 1

wjvh

In terms of specs for the two bikes, this is all available online and fred_jb covers a few of the headlines too. In several respects there are similarities especially weight (both about 220kg although the CX feels noticeably heavier than the NC) and power (a claimed 50bhp for the CX500EC) and perhaps their respective market niches - not sure as I was only 4 years old in 1982. The CX Eurosport models have a higher seat than the NC-S which then puts you in a slightly more forward riding position with the handlebars being in a similar position to the NC-S. I think the CX engine is a bit smoother, I guess due to the V cylinder configuration, carburettor fuelling and I think the shaft drive has slightly more lag than a chain. But once the revs start building up on the CX you really feel the power surge and she’s pretty comfortable even up at 7500rpm. For commuting the NC is great, but given a nice dry day and some free time I’d be reaching for the CX every time. I’m fortunate to be able to make that choice. 

• Like 1

Hickky

All this new fangled Eurosports models, nothing wrong with the original plastic maggot, although was a little top heavy and had rear shocks that, well, didn't. 87,000 on my second engine (yup, replaced within 6 months due to cam chain non tensioner). Much smoother than NC, it revved well and was like a little turbine with fairly linear power delivery. I dropped the thing the first day I picked her up when breaking in the wet near Chelsea bridge. The combination of twin discs that worked and OE tyres that didn't . I got her at a dealer in the Euston road, Jeff ......... (cant remember) only 2 weeks after launch. Paid a small amount on hp for silly money per week, and paid it off very early as I was making good money dispatch riding, although had to buy a MZ250 when the engine needed replacing. Black with red flashes and I paid extra for a tiny screen to go over the strange headlamp surround. Loved Phantoms in the summer (lasted about 6 weeks) and Contis (the cheap tyre) when funds did not permit. For its day it was considered rapid and was as tough as old boots. I guess as one of the first 4 stroke mass produced bikes with water cooling and tubeless tyres it was advanced, and as long as you fed it clean oil it would soldier on regardless of the racket the head rockers made. 

• Like 4

fred_jb

Yes, I actually prefer the looks of the original CX over the Eurosport, as I think it had a unique character.  Mine was the B model, in black and red.  It had no camchain issues, and had the little fly screen on the nacelle which I had to remove when I fitted a large tri-point bar mounted screen.

CX500_1983_01-XL.jpg

Edited by fred_jb
  • Like 3

Rocker66
5 minutes ago, fred_jb said:

Yes, I actually prefer the looks of the original CX over the Eurosport, as I think it had a unique character.  Mine was the B model, in black and red.  It had no camchain issues, and had the little fly screen on the nacelle which I had to remove when I fitted a large tri-point bar mounted screen.

CX500_1983_01-XL.jpg

That was the colour scheme I had also the same panniers but I fitted a full fairing. Sadly it’s one of the few bikes that I had that I couldn’t find a photo of.

• Like 1

fred_jb
4 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

That was the colour scheme I had also the same panniers but I fitted a full fairing. Sadly it’s one of the few bikes that I had that I couldn’t find a photo of.

Shame you don't have a photo of yours Rocker, to contribute to this CX nostalgia-fest!  I can understand you putting a fairing on it.  I put the screen on mine after my first European tour when I found the wind pressure on a motorway dash to get the ferry pretty exhausting.

Edited by fred_jb
  • Like 1