Sign in to follow this  
Southerner

X-ADV Service Costs - Reasonable?

Southerner

Considering buying one of these bikes so hoping for a bit of real life opinions from you guys in a few posts that I'll be adding here.

So, per title, service costs from main dealers, Doble in Coulsdon / P and H in Crawley if possible would be very handy.

Being enclosed by plastic, does servicing cost a lot more than a naked bike and are there any nasties, like tappet/valve adjustment?

Thanks.

kayz1

Same as the 750X i had, nothing has dropped off or broken in-between services. My first service was free and the 8000 was 100 and some thing. Chain and tyres still OK.

But do check you can live with the crap lights...you CAN be seen but you can not see unless you fit spots.

Lyn.

• Like 1

Tonyj

Sometime I think they get all laboratories like , they must test these lights in a garage or sealed room with absolutely no other light .

my ncX has the letter box LED style lamp and is overwhelmed by the backlight of my watch when in the real world :0).

I normally change about now for a work bike and considered the adventure but the issues in London still prevail so limiting the desire to walk home I’ll stick with the X . 

Edited by Tonyj
  • Like 4

Southerner
9 hours ago, kayz1 said:

Same as the 750X i had, nothing has dropped off or broken in-between services. My first service was free and the 8000 was 100 and some thing. Chain and tyres still OK.

But do check you can live with the crap lights...you CAN be seen but you can not see unless you fit spots.

Lyn.

Are they really that bad? Are you referring to being able to see, and being seen, in darkness only?

DaveM59

LED headlights all seem to be like this. In total darkness on a dry road they seem OK, good spread and distance. Wet the roads and the beam pattern is lost but you can still see signs and reflective objects at good distance but nothing on the road surface in front of you.

Add in other vehicle lights and street lighting and you really think your lights are not working.

The problem is bright 'blue' white reflects far too much so you lose the spread of light in front of you when the road is shiny and it is also overwhelmed by yellower tinted lights.

I added some yellow tint film to my Forza LED dipped lights and it initially improves things but not by much. Basically LED makes you more noticeable to other road users but less useful for yourself to actually see by.

• Like 2

Andy m

Headlight aim seems to be critical. I didn't rate the NC's headlight until I adjusted the aim, then it was pretty good. Dealers cannot be trusted to do this and from the difference a light rider is going to need a different setting to a heavier one. 

Andy

• Like 1

DaveM59

Probably right as there is a slight 'black hole' close to you and a less obtuse angle may help with the reflection as well.

Bart Stilgo

My NCX with LED was lowered so for a while the headlight was pointing towards the stars

When it was adjusted (with me sat on the bike) it was still rubbish

Only on main beam is the LED any good.

It truly is a letterbox light.  You just get a band of light across the road and no depth!

Also as a daylight running light it might as well be off

Check out some other threads on LED lights.

Cheers

rjp996

I would recommend looking for other dealers to compare before using the crawley dealer for service. I found the sales side great however the service side seems to be run almost as a separate entity and I found it expensive and a little impersonal when I’ve dealt with them. No affiliation, but I travel over to Kent motorcycles (Honda) for service now and buying. The benefit I’ve found is that the sales and service are all controlled under one owner / manager, and the prices and service have been a much better experience and worth the trip

• Like 3

Southerner
4 hours ago, rjp996 said:

I would recommend looking for other dealers to compare before using the crawley dealer for service. I found the sales side great however the service side seems to be run almost as a separate entity and I found it expensive and a little impersonal when I’ve dealt with them. No affiliation, but I travel over to Kent motorcycles (Honda) for service now and buying. The benefit I’ve found is that the sales and service are all controlled under one owner / manager, and the prices and service have been a much better experience and worth the trip

I concur with your thoughts on P and H. I've bought a few bikes from them over the years but have found that their service costs can be a bit off the wall. For example, they quoted me £800 for a full service on my Z750 earlier this year and yes, they were serious. 

I used a well respected independent mobile bike technician base in West Wickham who I know, costing me just £250, labour and materials.

Tex
8 hours ago, rjp996 said:

I would recommend looking for other dealers to compare before using the crawley dealer for service.

4 hours ago, Southerner said:

I concur with your thoughts on P and H. I've bought a few bikes from them over the years but have found that their service costs can be a bit off the wall.

They actually ripped off a friend of my son, big time. His FZ600S was fitted with crash bungs, the front one being on the engine mount. A SAD caused it to snap off, leaving the broken mounting bolt deeply recessed in the crankcase. Only cure would have required major surgery and he asked them to sort it out when it was in for routine service. 

All seemed well upon collectionbut a while later the bung just fell off. Turns out they had glued it back in place! :D I think the term ‘incompetent shysters’ is appropriate. 

• Like 2

Steve1960
On 28/12/2018 at 10:08, DaveM59 said:

LED headlights all seem to be like this. In total darkness on a dry road they seem OK, good spread and distance. Wet the roads and the beam pattern is lost but you can still see signs and reflective objects at good distance but nothing on the road surface in front of you.

Add in other vehicle lights and street lighting and you really think your lights are not working.

The problem is bright 'blue' white reflects far too much so you lose the spread of light in front of you when the road is shiny and it is also overwhelmed by yellower tinted lights.

I added some yellow tint film to my Forza LED dipped lights and it initially improves things but not by much. Basically LED makes you more noticeable to other road users but less useful for yourself to actually see by.

I have a Service plan with my dealer,i dont know if i really do enough miles to warrant it though,but it feels a lot easier on service day to know its paid for.I am thinking of getting some spots to put on the ADV,my idea was to get a set of after market lights(notd dear Honda) via my dealer,then get them to install when they do the recall work as the panels would be off anyway,i believe there is a socket in the loom to cater for spots in the loom,i am thinking i would’nt be charged for labour as Honda are already paying them for the labour to do the recall work.....or am i being a bit nieve😁

Steve

Tex

Steve, I’m sure you will be able to negotiate a reduced price for fitting your spots. But I’m equally sure the dealer won’t regard it as ‘part of the recall’ :D 

The key is to talk to him. State your case and ask the question “I would really like some spots fitting and wonder how much it would be if you did it at the same time as the recall, because you’re already going to have the bodywork off?”

• Like 3