G8pcw

Dashboard newbie question

G8pcw

Morning all,

This may be a bit of a dozy question - but I don't pick up my NC750x until Wednesday so haven't got my hands on it yet! The question is : does the dash show mpg or miles per litre? Just asking as my VFR1200 only displayed miles per litre which meant that I needed to get good at my 4.54 times table! It would be much easier if the display did that one for me though so here's hoping it shows mpg!

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

Andy m

Either. 

It's like Casio watch as two buttons control 743 settings, but with either patience and the book or a time machine to retrieve a 12 year old from 1984 you can get what you need. 

It's litres per 100km that throws me. Once you decide the petrol station is probably 30 km away you've some serious mental division to do. 

Andy

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Mr Toad

I never saw the need for any mental gymnastics.

My 2014 NC750X used to average around 198 miles to the tankful. every time I filled up I reset one of the trips back to zero. As soon as the fuel warning light came on I'd look at the trip to see how far I could get before empty and fill up asap.

After a while I started riding with the 'fuel' trip permanently displayed so I could see at a glance how soon I needed fuel. Lets face it you don't really need to know how far the bike's gone from new and if you're using the other trip for the journey most of us only look at that to see how far the entire trip was. I always felt it was remiss of Honda not putting the trip cycle button on the bars.

The fuel gauge on the NC was pretty rubbish in my opinion. It would show full for ages then one bar would go out, after the second they went out very quickly. There was nothing even remotely linear about it. 

At least the fuel gauge on the GS is more accurate but I still don't use it. As well as the normal dash info you can customise the dash to show whatever metric you want. I display range to empty, which is surprisingly accurate, and external temp. All the other stuff can be cycled through via the jog wheel on the bars.

• Like 2

embee

I've moaned about it before, but since it's almost the end of the year it's worth a recap. I wish they'd just show how many litres are in the tank. Not rocket science, I can do the rest. There are 5 litres in there, I'm happy. There are 2 litres in there I need to refuel. Pleeeeeeease Mr.Honda!

• Like 4

Spindizzy

Provided you brim it, the fuel used mode is pretty accurate. Tank size minus fuel used to stimulate the grey matter.

The gauge isn't linear, never was so making the accurate for remaining fuel is probably asking too much. Like I said the fuel flow is pretty accurate to give you much the same thing. If you are feeling bored just work out how much fuel each segment is worth and pin a chart to the bike :D

• Like 1

Tex

I never fully got to grips with that ‘reserve fuel’ countdown thing on mine, and I assume it’s the same on the newer models? It’s happily showing the miles traveled since the last fill and suddenly goes to zero and starts flashing. And then the poxy thing swaps from miles to litres? Stupid boy, Soichiro! :D 

I hesitate to boast but Triumph have a vastly superior system on the Bonnie. But, then again, it could hardly be worse.. On the bright side, if the worst thing we can find to criticise about the bike is the reserve fuel counter then it’s a pretty bloody special bike, eh? Well done Soichiro!! :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

G8pcw

Thanks for the replies guys. My main reason for changing bikes it to save money so having a MPG figure for the current tank on display would have been handy but not life changing! 

I'll continue to fill out details on Fuelly as I have been doing for the past 8 years or so - so I'll be able to calculate the benefits accurately that way.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

alhendo1

I'd imagine you'll be happy with the Nc...when I had mine it always returned great mpg...

• Like 1

listener
On 29/12/2018 at 09:20, Mr Toad said:

The fuel gauge on the NC was pretty rubbish in my opinion. It would show full for ages then one bar would go out, after the second they went out very quickly. There was nothing even remotely linear about it.

I reset the trip(1) meter every refill (in fact I'm geeky to the point of recording my mileage, fuel added and cost every time:geek:).

I reset trip(2) at the start of a run but not for commuting.

I thought I had a file recording the fuel reading for each bar of the meter, but I was mistaken.

I'm pretty sure though that the meter drops the first bar when 33% of the fuel is gone (50-80 miles); the second bar 50% (80-125 miles); the third 67% (100-165 miles); reserve flashes around 75% (115-185 miles).Those mileages are approximate and cover consumptions from 50 to 80mpg.

• Like 2

G8pcw
2 hours ago, listener said:

I reset the trip(1) meter every refill (in fact I'm geeky to the point of recording my mileage, fuel added and cost every time:geek:).

I reset trip(2) at the start of a run but not for commuting.

I thought I had a file recording the fuel reading for each bar of the meter, but I was mistaken.

I'm pretty sure though that the meter drops the first bar when 33% of the fuel is gone (50-80 miles); the second bar 50% (80-125 miles); the third 67% (100-165 miles); reserve flashes around 75% (115-185 miles).Those mileages are approximate and cover consumptions from 50 to 80mpg.

Yep - me too. On my VFR, I use Trip 1 to record monthly mileage (which I keep a note of in a spreadsheet) and Trip 2 to record tank mileage. I then fill out fuelly each time I fill up too - which has been 247 times in 3 years and I've spent £4296.93 over 35,285 miles. Not geeky at all really!!

Herr Flick
On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 08:17, G8pcw said:

Morning all,

This may be a bit of a dozy question - but I don't pick up my NC750x until Wednesday so haven't got my hands on it yet! The question is : does the dash show mpg or miles per litre? Just asking as my VFR1200 only displayed miles per litre which meant that I needed to get good at my 4.54 times table! It would be much easier if the display did that one for me though so here's hoping it shows mpg!

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete, yes it does show mpg both average and current, you can switch between them. I'm sure you select litres/mpg in some of the other dash settings, maybe when you select kms over miles? I did mine last Februaury when mine was new and have left it there since. I have mucked about with the background colours and given up after a lot of head scratching, I don't get that bit at all. As others say on here, the dash is pretty crap in bright sunlight. I'm happy with the bike though overall, on days when I think it isn't powerful enough I eventually remember I didn't buy it for that reason. It still covers ground as well as I want it to and if I fancy a thrill I take one of my Italian bikes out instead. ;-)

• Like 1

Andy m

I used to use fuelly etc but have given up. Honda effectively wiping your data when it goes on reserve made this harder than needs be, so I only do it on longer trips where I fill up at semi-planned points to avoid rural stations and the voices in your head stuff that results from going on reserve and not really knowing where the next petrol station is. 

I don't really use the bars. I set a trip meter at each fill up and know it'll do 300 miles. When it's either convenient of on the last bar I go fill up. I guess it's the advantage of a good range. In the bad old days of 120 mile range Bonnevilles and my K100 outfit that once took the full tank volume with 90 miles on the trip due to headwind, you had to watch the numbers. With 300 to play with I need a cuppa or a pee before petrol. 

Andy

• Like 3

G8pcw
8 hours ago, Andy m said:

I used to use fuelly etc but have given up. Honda effectively wiping your data when it goes on reserve made this harder than needs be, so I only do it on longer trips where I fill up at semi-planned points to avoid rural stations and the voices in your head stuff that results from going on reserve and not really knowing where the next petrol station is. 

Andy

Hi Andy,

Is there any way of stopping it from wiping the trip meter when it hits reserve?

Cheers

Pete

Andy m

Not that I've found. You can't even add on how far you went on reserve easily as you have to spot everytime it changes its mind and starts the reserve again. 

Writing down the odometer reading would be the surefire way. 

Andy

• Like 1

Tonyj

Mine is set at a litres and will count up on reserve . It will go to 3lt depending on how savage You are :0) which is about 45 mile in my case

not sure this helps on the calculation thing as I don’t bother but only offering this to give you an idea how far you can go on reserve 

• Like 1

G8pcw

Thanks all. Looks like I'll need to use the odometer to capture the monthly mileage and the trip that doesn't reset form the tank mileage. Bummer that they've programmed it to reset without any option to change that behaviour but I'll get used to it I guess!

Cheers

Pete

elbee

I have the speedo set to mpg and that then leaves me with a choice of miles/L or miles/gallon (page 46 in my owner's manual).

Trip meter A doesn't reset when I fill up after being on reserve (page 40).

The flashing "reserve" mode comes on when you reduce to one fuel bar, but you can still just cycle back to your previous display mode (page 24). It a temporary mode that inserts itself in the sequence.

I've never got less than 80mpg so 0.7gallons reserve * 80 = 56 miles,  I may do 35 miles or so on reserve before I get nervous. 

• Like 1

Herr Flick

The trip switches to distance travelled on reserve, once you hit reserve. When you refuel it then returns to the trip reading. It is odd but not hard to get used to. I've also managed 40 miles on reserve before refuelling and then still only got 12 point something litres in it. Even if you have been using more juice by going quicker, once you're on reserve you'll start to plan where the next garage is and maybe slow down a bit surely? Then you'll be doing 75mpg at least and quite easily over 80mpg, so no panic, enjoy the ride. :-)

• Like 2

wendeg
On 30/12/2018 at 23:33, G8pcw said:

Hi Andy,

Is there any way of stopping it from wiping the trip meter when it hits reserve?

Cheers

Pete

Trip B is not wiped

• Like 3

wendeg
On 12/31/2018 at 10:15, G8pcw said:

Thanks all. Looks like I'll need to use the odometer to capture the monthly mileage and the trip that doesn't reset form the tank mileage. Bummer that they've programmed it to reset without any option to change that behaviour but I'll get used to it I guess!

Cheers

Pete

You can deactivate the automatic trip A reset

• Like 1

Herr Flick
5 hours ago, wendeg said:

You can deactivate the automatic trip A reset

I didn't know that! Looks like not many other folk did either! :-)

• Like 1

Mr Toad
10 hours ago, Herr Flick said:

I didn't know that! Looks like not many other folk did either! :-)

And I was confused by what people were saying as I'm sure mine didn't reset but as I no longer have the bike couldn't prove it. It would seem that my NCs first owner had disabled the reset.

Paulplex
On 29/12/2018 at 14:52, G8pcw said:

Thanks for the replies guys. My main reason for changing bikes it to save money so having a MPG figure for the current tank on display would have been handy but not life changing! 

I'll continue to fill out details on Fuelly as I have been doing for the past 8 years or so - so I'll be able to calculate the benefits accurately that way.

Cheers

Pete

I've a plethora of Google Sheets for this task myself.  I much prefer to let Google, my master and overlord, know more about me this way.

I've only had my bike a short while and done a little over a thousand miles - but my NC700X at best did 80MPG and averages 76MPG, with an expected range on a full tank of 237 miles.  Not that I ever intend to leave a fill up to the last drop of petrol of course!

Unfortunately the 2013 model I have doesn't offer a rolling MPG feature on the dash - so it's noted down after the fact instead...

Andy m
On 02/01/2019 at 21:51, wendeg said:

Trip B is not wiped

Oddly I have trips 1 & 2 not A&B 😭🤔 and think the NC did too. I am going to try "2" though. 

I think they've let the IT people design them, V5. 07.b is going to be different to V4. 07.02 etc. 

Google sheets is the work of the devil. They can have my data, but FFS let me right click and use VLOOKUP! 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

G8pcw

Thanks everyone. As I've got my NC now, I've been mucking around with the dash and associated buttons and think I'm ok now. I disabled the "reset" feature on the trip meter so it won't do that automatically and things seem good. I've only filled up twice so far (and am still riding it gently as it's only got 300 miles on it so far) and it's done 76mpg and 78mpg which is bloody impressive. 

Next week the traffic will return to normal, however, which will significantly increase the time taken to commute so let's see what that does to the mpg figures. I'm looking forward to finding out but am less looking forward to trying to filter on the NCx as the bars and way wider than my VFR so I'll need to get used to that. And, on a bad day, I probably have to filter about 20 miles down the A2 on the dual carriageway so getting the width understood is very important!

Loving it so far, though. It does exactly what I hoped it would but sounds way more fun with the Ixil exhaust than I was anticipating!

Cheers

Pete

• Like 2