fred_jb

It's official - I'm getting a BMW R1250RS!

baben

It is nice to actually be Bank of Dad though. Proves to them we are not totally useless. I helped my youngest out of credit card woes - insisted he paid me back - at no interest - but he learned the lesson and has never had another credit card.

• Like 4

Rocker66

Like many things these days credit cards can be a good thing if used sensibly but dangerous if not. We use our credit card a lot but pay it off completely each month. The cash back more than pays the monthly charge so adds a few quid to the account. It also saves the need to carry large amounts of cash.

fred_jb
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Mr Toad said:

Interesting rationale but how long does that brand new just perfect feeling last?  Is it over after the first time on the road or after a week, a month?

On the other hand if you feel it's something you can maintain as long as you have the bike then haven't you just destroyed your own argument? If the GS you just sold is as perfect as possible then someone like me is going to get a fantastic deal and still get that perfect bike feeling for a lot less money.

I make no judgement here Fred, we are all different in what gives us pleasure. I'm genuinely interested as someone who likes nice things but doesn't get attached to them in the way some people do and I don't get any sort of buzz from being the first owner. 

Well I worked hard to make my GS as perfect (for me) as possible, and thoroughly enjoyed the modding process, but it still wasn't perfect for the reasons I outlined earlier.  The 2019 model year bikes have significant major and minor improvements which make them that bit more perfect (for me) and as the improvements are now throughout the range this gives me the opportunity the change to my preferred RS without losing any features. 

I am sure that will give me even more pleasure in ownership than the GS did, even if the price to change is not easy to justify on a spreadsheet, but when you are approaching 65 like I am, and being realistic, have limited further time to enjoy life's pleasures, especially things like riding which require a degree of fitness, then it isn't so difficult to justify - at least not for me!

Edited by fred_jb
  • Like 6

Mr Toad

And enjoyment is what it's all about.

Thank you Fred

• Like 2

fred_jb
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Exceledsteve said:

Is it true that kids actually pay back loaned money?? I'm off to have a word with mine...

Well our two cost a lot in parental contributions to get through Uni and we won't be getting paid back - basically we paid their housing costs in years 1,2 & 4 and bought them each a car in their third year while they were doing their industry experience year. So probably something like £40k which we will never see again, and which could have bought several new bikes!  However they have both done well and we feel it has been a worthwhile investment in their futures, and the future propagation of our genes!  :D

Edited by fred_jb
  • Like 4

Andy m
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Trev said:

...... or you could just use the kickstart.

Smug Enfield Owner (there I knew there would be one advantage :D)

I loved the kicker on the Bullet, the proper way to start a ride. My first one (2004) even had the manual decompressor, although given the head was about as air tight as stuffing a sponge in the plug hole, it wasn't really needed.

I never had reason to try it with a flat battery. I'm not sure it would actually spin the alternator enough for a start on its own. You need the enough power to prime the fuel pump, so some life in the battery. If you have enough power for that though, you are indeed off and running.

When my switch gear was playing up, I found the kicker would work with the ignition off though. I suspected some sort of short from the newly cycled kill switch gave the FI ECU permanent power and you could then kick it up. As soon as you put it in gear it died though, so the stand interlock was somehow a counter short. All fixed with contact cleaner, so I have no idea how that actually worked.

Andy

Edited by Andy m

Rocker66
36 minutes ago, fred_jb said:

So probably something like £40k which we will never see again, and which could have bought several new bikes.

Well maybe two Beemers.😀😀

• Haha 2

baben

New bike lust. Today I took SWMBO to a meeting of the coven (group of retired midwives) and it was just a few minutes from our local Ducati dealer so I went for a look.......

I am interested in the Multistrada 950. I threw the usual arguments at the salesman. Electronics are dodgy. "No sir, they use Bosch now not Magerelli or whatever they were called".

Services are diabolically expensive. "9000 mile intervals. £350 for the small one, £700 for the biggie which happens at 18000".

As against 6000 /12000 for the Triumph with similar prices.

Weight is less than Tigger - just - but it is lower down so feels a lot less.

So pretty comparable machine overall. Had a sit (not a test ride) and it felt very comfy. New 2019 has a lighter clutch and they have all the electronic trickery - for extra you can have skyhooks. 

Not a good px offer on Tigger though so I looked thoughtful and walked away.

• Like 2

Rev Ken
10 hours ago, Trev said:

...... or you could just use the kickstart.

Smug Enfield Owner (there I knew there would be one advantage :D)

Or get a bike with a Magneto.....:dielaugh:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Andy m
Posted (edited)

You know ATM there is hardly a bike I'd look at. Startrite who fitted my tyres had a Sinnis Terrain next to the counter that looked like it'd be fun for a couple of days, but I know I'd break it then get frustrated so I won't bother. 

Ducati Demonic valves are not something you want to risk not doing. At 18000 though, you can almost take this as just an automatic reduction on the trade-in value. I'd love to talk to an ex- or drunken Ducati tech and find out what they do with 17999 mile trade-ins? 

Andy

Edited by Andy m

Rev Ken
8 hours ago, Exceledsteve said:

Is it true that kids actually pay back loaned money?? I'm off to have a word with mine...

My son has had my CBF1000 for three years, and no sign of repayment....until he reworks his Blackbird and sells it, but he is too busy riding MY bike!:BangHead:

• Haha 1

lazlo woodbine
8 hours ago, Exceledsteve said:

That sounds like the tooth Fairy and Santa Claus at least in my experience

• Haha 1

Ciaran1602
44 minutes ago, baben said:

New bike lust. Today I took SWMBO to a meeting of the coven (group of retired midwives) and it was just a few minutes from our local Ducati dealer so I went for a look.......

I am interested in the Multistrada 950. I threw the usual arguments at the salesman. Electronics are dodgy. "No sir, they use Bosch now not Magerelli or whatever they were called".

Services are diabolically expensive. "9000 mile intervals. £350 for the small one, £700 for the biggie which happens at 18000".

As against 6000 /12000 for the Triumph with similar prices.

Weight is less than Tigger - just - but it is lower down so feels a lot less.

So pretty comparable machine overall. Had a sit (not a test ride) and it felt very comfy. New 2019 has a lighter clutch and they have all the electronic trickery - for extra you can have skyhooks. 

Not a good px offer on Tigger though so I looked thoughtful and walked away.

Ducati's don't still have those horrid dry plate clutches that sound like a collection of very disapproving schoolwives chattering about the expense of the year 9 trip to France? Friend of mine had one of the early Multistrada 1000s, couldn't stand to be near it as it knattered away over the noise of the baffle free exhaust.

• Like 1

Rev Ken
19 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

Ducati's don't still have those horrid dry plate clutches that sound like a collection of very disapproving schoolwives chattering about the expense of the year 9 trip to France? Friend of mine had one of the early Multistrada 1000s, couldn't stand to be near it as it knattered away over the noise of the baffle free exhaust.

I refuse to follow a Ducati on ride outs, I don't want tinnitus at my age!

Chris750
20 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

Sorry I have to drag this out when it's mentioned :-)

large.ducati.jpg.75bb9b9e8278db9aaf87a9799e20fe98.jpg

• Haha 4

Trev
25 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

My Griso also has a dry clutch, not as loud as a Ducati but still sounds bloody silly to my 'wet clutch trained ears. I often wonder if they just chucked one in for effect, although what effect I don't really know :ermm:

Ciaran1602
Just now, Trev said:

My Griso also has a dry clutch, not as loud as a Ducati but still sounds bloody silly to my 'wet clutch trained ears. I often wonder if they just chucked one in for effect, although what effect I don't really know :ermm:

....but it's a Moto Guzzi so it's alright. There is literally nothing on the face of this earth on two wheels that's more idiosyncratically sexy as a Moto Guzzi.

Well unless Taron Egerton decided to take up cycling or something but in the real world...

• Haha 3

fred_jb
Posted (edited)

I believe the Multistrada and probably most modern Ducatis now have a wet multiplate slipper clutch.  

Same as the BMW boxers which used to have single plate dry clutches, but have had wet clutches for years now.

Edited by fred_jb

Trev
4 hours ago, Andy m said:

I loved the kicker on the Bullet, the proper way to start a ride. My first one (2004) even had the manual decompressor, although given the head was about as air tight as stuffing a sponge in the plug hole, it wasn't really needed.

I never had reason to try it with a flat battery. I'm not sure it would actually spin the alternator enough for a start on its own. You need the enough power to prime the fuel pump, so some life in the battery. If you have enough power for that though, you are indeed off and running.

When my switch gear was playing up, I found the kicker would work with the ignition off though. I suspected some sort of short from the newly cycled kill switch gave the FI ECU permanent power and you could then kick it up. As soon as you put it in gear it died though, so the stand interlock was somehow a counter short. All fixed with contact cleaner, so I have no idea how that actually worked.

Andy

When I first got my Ennie the battery was naff (it had been sat outside unused for a couple of months) and I was only able to start it for a test ride by bumping it down a longish hill. Once I got it home and charged it up it was ok provided the motor caught pretty quickly, if not it was kickstart job but the battery seemed to have enough power to prime the pump at least. To my mind the Ennie kickstart is 'orrible, back when all my bikes were kick start (all Jap) I was used to them all being pretty high and easy to find compression so you could give a decent lunge. The Ennie one looks ok until you swing it out which places it down by the foot rest and the auto decompressort makes it difficult to it a real hoof so you have to sort of gently swing it through an arc rather than 'kick it'. 

All academic now as since I've fitted the Li battery the thing bursts into life if my thumb so much as hovers near the starter button :banana:

• Like 2

Rocker66
37 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

I actually liked the sound of the clutch on my Multistrada 1000DS especially with the carbon open cover I fitted. My neighbour also liked it as he said that if he heard the Ducati he knew the weather forecast was good. :) :)

clutch.jpg

• Like 4

fred_jb
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

Well unless Taron Egerton decided to take up cycling or something but in the real world...

Had to look him up, being from a different generation, but would concede that he looks a very attractive young man! Sadly from your point of view it seems that he favours female partners, but I guess orientation doesn't matter too much when choosing fantasy girlfriends/boyfriends! 😁

Edited by fred_jb
  • Like 1

Ciaran1602
Just now, fred_jb said:

Had to look him up, being from a different generation, but would concede that he looks a very attractive young man! Sadly from your point of view it seems that he favours female partners, but I guess orientation doesn't matter too much when choosing fantasy girlfriends/boyfriends! 😁

I was about to make a comment about alcohol and parties but I fear that's probably not politically correct.:lol:

I declare your thread officially derailed!

• Haha 3

Andy m

Don't worry about the politically correct. We've all been there and done that. 

Beer Goggles can be wonderful things. 

Andy

baben
19 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

I actually liked the sound of the clutch on my Multistrada 1000DS especially with the carbon open cover I fitted. My neighbour also liked it as he said that if he heard the Ducati he knew the weather forecast was good. :) :)

clutch.jpg

Rocker, did your Ducati match the stereotype or was it ok?

baben
1 minute ago, Andy m said:

Don't worry about the politically correct. We've all been there and done that. 

Beer Goggles can be wonderful things. 

Andy

They have landed me in some situations over the years. Pleasant memories mainly.