fred_jb

It's official - I'm getting a BMW R1250RS!

Bigglesaircraft

I possibly know the answer to this question, but why have a bike with a larger engine than my 4WD SUV  with possibly the same running costs?

• Like 1
  • Sigh 1
  • Haha 1

Chris750
1 minute ago, Bigglesaircraft said:

I possibly know the answer to this question, but why have a bike with a larger engine than my 4WD SUV  with possibly the same running costs?

Why have an SUV?

Like that Fred very nice, still a BMUU though :angel:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Bigglesaircraft
Just now, Chris750 said:

Why have an SUV?

Like that Fred very nice, still a BMUU though :angel:

Snowed in two months of the year.

Rocker66

I think I prefer the look of that to the GS. How does the riding position compare to the GS with the lower bars?

• Like 2

Chris750
5 minutes ago, Bigglesaircraft said:

Snowed in two months of the year.

Buy a snow plough.

• Haha 3

Bigglesaircraft
1 minute ago, Chris750 said:

Buy a snow plough.

Difficult to fit to the NC.

Chris750
3 minutes ago, Bigglesaircraft said:

Difficult to fit to the NC.

Where there's a will...…………………………………………………………………………………….

52b8701c83ca1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

KingJames
34 minutes ago, fred_jb said:

Well the GS is now at the dealers - and I'm temporarily bikeless, sob, sob! :cry:

Thanks for all your support and understanding of the process whereby another change of bike starts off as vague musings and, after some serious agonising over the finances,  progresses through to all out new bike lust!  I notice none of you tried to stop me, but maybe I'm just regarded as a lost cause due to my past history! 

The picture below is the same as the new RS I am getting.   My existing Shad luggage will fit on without any mods required, and the bike is a little lower and lighter than the GS, and to my mind quite a bit better looking.  The fact that I will no longer be in the seemingly despised GS rider fraternity, and will hopefully be a little more anonymous on a much less commonly seen bike, is another bonus!

R_1250_RS%20with%20rack-XL.jpg

Lovely.  If only BMW had an auto clutch to go with their pro assist gear shifts I'd be straight down to the dealers.  The S1000XR appeals enormously.

• Like 1

Radarman
38 minutes ago, fred_jb said:

The picture below is the same as the new RS I am getting.   My existing Shad luggage will fit on without any mods required, and the bike is a little lower and lighter than the GS, and to my mind quite a bit better looking.

Congratulations Fred!!!

And although I prefer the look of the GS I must admit I like the RS in its 2019 incarnation.

Let us know how you get on with it and don't forget to share details of your mods :thumbsup:

• Like 2

fred_jb
36 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

I think I prefer the look of that to the GS. How does the riding position compare to the GS with the lower bars?

It is a more sporty riding position than the GS but not extremely so.  I will fit bar risers, and in the showroom the dealer had an earlier RS with risers already fitted and that felt quite confortable.  Anne also had a sit on it and her verdict was that pillion comfort was just as good as the GS.

• Like 2

fred_jb
53 minutes ago, Bigglesaircraft said:

Well I'm sure that was a tongue in cheek question, but basically your vehicle has too many wheels to be really fun!  Also I've just traded in a two wheeled SUV in the form of the GS, and wanted something a little sleeker and sportier this time.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

slowboy

Very nice Fred, look forward to seeing it sometime.

• Like 1

Exceledsteve

That's my bike of choice Fred. Gorgeous. I'm very envious but happy for you also. Enjoy.

• Thanks 1

gonzo

Love the can,.!!

• Like 1

fred_jb
5 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Love the can,.!!

Fairly similar to the RT end can I put on my GS - personally I quite like a big old chromed can!

Ciaran1602

That looks gorgeous! It'll look even better with the luggage fitted. Can't wait to see it when she's fully farkled!

• Like 1

iaink
4 hours ago, fred_jb said:

The fact that I will no longer be in the seemingly despised GS rider fraternity

Are GS riders really despised ?

Ciaran1602
9 minutes ago, iaink said:

Cannae speak to anywhere else but the disdain when one turns up at Loomies whenever I'm there is like a palpable force of energy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

fred_jb
15 minutes ago, iaink said:

I have noticed a definite tendency for waves to not be returned while on the GS, but maybe a slight exaggeration to say despised, and it doesn't seem to be the case elsewhere in Europe. However, in the UK there does seem to be a certain amount of negativity towards GS riders, not unlike that towards BMW car drivers, though I have to say that in my experience in the case of drivers this is often richly deserved!  

• Like 3

Andy m
18 minutes ago, iaink said:

Despised is a very strong word. Viewed as "lifestyle" riders by some possibly.

When you buy half the Touratech catalogue and fit it to something too heavy to be serious on poor surfaces, too expensive to get a carnet for and too complicated to be taken outside where the RAC can cover and then add BMW's advertising and reputation it can end badly. The real Charlies can be found parked outside Starbucks with £15k of laser cut ally. Real over landers ride battered XT225's and XR650's because they'd spend any spare £14k on petrol, tyres and ferries . It's similar to Harleys, proper patch club riders buy a Panhead from a bloke they once had a fist fight with or went Japanese when they realised they were better. Accountants and dentists go to the "MoCo" showroom and buy everything with tassels. 

As another Ex GS rider I can confirm some of the owners take it to the point they believe it themselves. These are the ones who ruin it for nice chaps like Fred. 

Andy

wpbrown

Beautiful bike Fred. I must admit it was a bike that I hadn't noticed until relatively lately, not many of them about. I bought a CBF1000 last year and am enjoying that, but you know how it is, always looking out for the successor! The R1200RS is one that I am most interested in.

Knowing how much you had invested in your GS (I don't just mean financially), could I ask, what were the drawbacks that prompted you to change? Apologies if I've missed out on a previous post on your thoughts.

fred_jb

Thanks Andy - I really don't buy into the GS image, in fact that was a negative for me.  I just found it to be the best suited to my requirements at the time, and just used it as a jolly good touring machine - I wouldn't dream of taking it off road.   Some of the stuff in the GS forums makes me laugh though.  When BMW brought out the Rallye version of the GS it had an option for 20mm taller "Sports" suspension which even BMW themselves said was only suited to serious off road use and was actually inferior for road use.  Nevertheless the majority of potential buyers in forum discussions were adamant that they "needed" the sports suspension for the extra ground clearance on the road when giving sports bike riders a run for their money!  This despite the fact that they would probably be on tippy toes when stopped and liable to drop the bike!  It does seem there is a lot of that sort of macho BS amongst GS riders.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

fred_jb
7 minutes ago, wpbrown said:

Beautiful bike Fred. I must admit it was a bike that I hadn't noticed until relatively lately, not many of them about. I bought a CBF1000 last year and am enjoying that, but you know how it is, always looking out for the successor! The R1200RS is one that I am most interested in.

Knowing how much you had invested in your GS (I don't just mean financially), could I ask, what were the drawbacks that prompted you to change? Apologies if I've missed out on a previous post on your thoughts.

Hi Paul.  I did originally intend to buy an RS as it is more my style of bike, but the previous generation RS was somewhat behind the GS in terms of gadgets, and in particular lacked the then latest generation of ESA electronic suspension with auto preload adjustment.  Having had handling issues with previous bikes when changing from solo to two-up riding this was a big attraction to me and has proved to be excellent, especially as my wife (the Ryanair pillion) often flies out to meet me somewhere scenic and warm so mid-trip suspension fiddling would otherwise be needed.  I was also attracted to the telelever front suspension on the GS, having had a long term interest in "funny front ends" for bikes - even considering patenting my own design at one point. However, the recall for reinforcing collars due to the telelever struts breaking off made me analyse that design more carefully and I now believe it has some intrinsic weaknesses, and although is generally fine for normal use, I suppose it did make me question it. 

There have been some other albeit relatively minor drawbacks to the GS for my use.  I find the rather lumpy and slightly on/off nature of the fairly highly tuned big twin at very low speeds to be less than ideal, especially with a passenger and luggage, but more than compensated for by the sublime (to me) nature of the power delivery in every other situation.  The analogue speedo is a joke for anyone with middle aged eyes, and incredibly, although there is a digital speed display, it can only be changed between mph and km/h via a visit to a dealers's diagnostic computer - so not ideal for European tours, leading me to fit various GPS speedo gadgets. The only other real drawback of the GS for me was the high level exhaust which either compromises luggage capacity on the exhaust side or makes the bike a lot wider than ideal, but I decided that I would work around this, and I addressed it by fitting a low level exhaust from the RT and then modifying some Shad luggage mounts to get a result where I had two 35 litre panniers which ended up no wider than the bars.  I guess the only other drawback is the image issue discussed earlier.

Anyway I got the bike to how I wanted it and have done just under 11,400 miles on it since March 2017 and have been very pleased with it.  However, when the new 1250 ShiftCam engine was released, which promises to be a little more civilised at low speeds due to the much milder cam profiles it uses for low power situations, and the bikes were given the excellent TFT display as standard, it having previously been an expensive optional extra, I was tempted to upgrade to a new GS, but when I found that the new RS would now have exactly the same spec as the GS, and was significantly cheaper, that came back into the reckoning.  In the end it is costing me just over £4k to change, which although not exactly peanuts is not too bad for two years use and depreciation, especially when factoring in the fact that the new bikes now have three years warranty including Europe-wide breakdown recovery, compared to the two years which is now almost expired on my bike.  If I had kept the GS for the next three years it would have cost around £1500 in extended warranty fees to keep the same cover, which sadly due to BMW's now less than perfect reliability reputation, I would regard as a necessity.

I hope that explains my thinking, and is of some interest.

• Like 3

PoppetM

That is a beautiful looking bike Fred!

• Like 1